Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
Posted: 9/25/2012 9:35:26 AM
I'm sure it probably curdles the blood of some of the members here to suggest buying a rifle from Wally World, but bear with me. The fact is that the prices are amazing. What I'm specifically interested in is a Remington 700 SPS in .30-06 with a scope(probably junk) for about $400. This is would be a deer hunting gun, not a long-range tactical rifle. It's going to get thrown in a truck backseat in a soft case, thrown in a truck bed, back of an ATV, sit in a blind, dropped on the ground, get rained on, etc. So I'm not looking for a show piece. But the detail that I'm worried about here is that you get what you pay for in life, and because it's Walmart, are the rifles that they sell of lesser quality than what you would get somewhere else, say a legit gun dealer? I've heard the theory that anything bought at Lowe's or Home Depot is made in mass quantity by the manufacturer and quality is thrown by the wayside to maximize profits, which leads me to speculate the same of Walmart. The gun is going to get beaten up, so I don't want to pay a premium price. But I do want the quality of a 700 with the smooth action of the bolt and the great trigger.
HAGDADDY
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 9:40:47 AM
I have purchased several rifles from walmart over the years and they have all been good rifles. My Rem 673 6.5 rem came from walmart and it is a shooting SOB. Will never part with it. I have also purchased a Marlin, Weatherby, and other remingtons there. You can get a turd anywhere but my walmart guns have been just fine.
dcs12345
KABOOM!!!!!!!
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 9:42:06 AM
But the detail that I'm worried about here is that you get what you pay for in life, and because it's Walmart, are the rifles that they sell of lesser quality than what you would get somewhere else, say a legit gun dealer?

It will be the exact same rifle you would get anywhere. Gun makers don't want to make version X and version Y of the same model since it is easier to just make the same thing over and over again. I wouldn't expect to have a great trigger in it though since the stock remington trigger isn't that great to me personally.

The Remington 700 SPS will have a shitty plastic stock, but it will still work fine.
Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country.
~John Adams
50-Caliber
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 9:43:26 AM
While I can not provide any empirical data for or against a "big box weapon" my thinking would be this: Walmart does not, as far as I know, control the manufacturing of or design of any firearm. So, until they do, as long as you key in on the "right" brand of firearm, lowest price wins. Should said weapon turn out to be inaccurate or faulty, your beef would then be with the manufacturer and not "Wally" so ... go for it. If I had the $400 I would jump on a Remington 700 in a heart beat and then go strait to a "real" gun store and start loading up on "upgrades".
AEnemaBay
2111 - USMC
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 12:09:41 PM
It's a horseshit myth perpetuated by gun dealers that can't compete with Walmart's prices.
"Nothing says 'come to my tree stand for a good cornholing' more than a Browning Buckmark sticker on your oversized truck." - dport

"Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.
TeeRex
Aspiring Stamp Collector
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 12:12:27 PM
I think I responded to this on the Hide. There are just 700's
A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well.
dfariswheel
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 3:41:24 PM
On the various gun forums several Walmart sporting goods department managers have posted answers to where Walmart gets it's guns.

The local Walmart orders it's guns from the same big gun distributors the local gun shop does. The local store buys from distributors like Zander's and Eliot Brothers just like Billy Bob's Guns And Booze.

Walmart does not sell "factory second" guns, Walmart does not have special lower quality guns made for them.

Walmart Corporate does occasional have a special model of gun made for the company. These limited model guns are ordered by Walmart home office and are shipped to the stores.
These guns are special models made so Walmart can offer a special gun. These are not lower quality.
As example a few years ago they sold a Ruger 10/22 with a stainless 20" barrel and a gray laminated stock, and a Sam Waldon Commemorative shotgun.

Bottom line, Walmart buys the same guns from the same distributors as any other gun dealer and doesn't sell substandard or "seconds" guns.
FreezinSig
Rugger Hugger
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 7:10:25 PM
Oh no, Wal-mart sells nothing but knock offs.
Fairbanks Rugby- We play with odd shaped balls.
DevilPig
Amat Victoria Curam
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 7:13:51 PM
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
It's a horseshit myth perpetuated by gun dealers that can't compete with Walmart's prices.

Ranman223
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 7:57:43 PM
I have purcheased at least 3 at wally world myself . NO problems or regrets .
Bushmaster1984
lover of the black rifle.
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 8:02:45 PM

this, the guns are exactly the same
"government should not assume for the people the inevitable burdens of existence"

Calvin Coolidge...30th president of the united states.
1923-1929
LARRYG
USN 1969-1973
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 9:24:01 PM
We had a big thread about this and, by GOD, there are some "experts" on here who "know" that the ARs the WalMart sells are not as good as the ones you buy elsewhere.
If it's a Colt, it's a copy of an original ArmaLite.

I am not LARRYG36.

Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

If your AR10 is marked Geneseo, IL, it's still an AR10 no matter what some people say.
RogueSpear2023
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/26/2012 12:49:42 AM
Why is Walmart able to sell anything cheap, they buy in large quantities. They have the power to buy stuff in astronomically high volumes so manufacturers make less per item but sell 10x what they would normally to make up the difference.

There is no difference between a Walmart rifle, and one at the LGS. Same goes for most of the stuff sold at Walmart for that matter.
ilovebullets
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/26/2012 1:20:36 AM
I was checking my email but couldnt find it but I actually emailed Remington on this. I bought an 870 Express Super Magnum 12 guage there once and after hearing the hooplah about inferiors being sold from wally world i emailed them. They pretty much said they are the exact same guns and why would we risk our reputation as a gun manufacturer to send less than standard firearms to a chain store. Remington was great to deal with because I had extraction issues with this shotgun. I sent it to them and they fixed it for nothing. Great company!
Don't mind me......I'm just pissing off the hippies.
Taipan01
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/26/2012 5:00:31 AM
It really depends on what you're buying. Do manufactures degrade their products to sell at Wal-mart, no. That would be a good way to ruin a reputation. Will manufactures make special Wal-mart, k-mart, big 5 and so on "only models" yes. Remember the J.C. Higgins, Ted Williams, Coast to Coast, Sears brands and so on? Also, manufacturers offer different model variations. For instance take Marlins 336W vs. the 336C. Essentially the same rifle except the 336W is advertised as Walnut stained hardwood but the 336C is American Walnut. The price difference is about $100.00. You just need to do a bit of homework on the SPECIFIC model you're looking at. If the model is such and such then it's exactly the same offered anywhere else. Hope this helps.
RABIDFOX50
Bazinga!
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/26/2012 5:56:10 AM
Just bought my daughter a Ruger 10/22 for her first Applseed shoot from WM. Shoots great and is the same as the one I bought from Gander Mountain a few years ago.
One lab accident away from being a super villain.........
tep0583
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/26/2012 8:37:51 AM
Originally Posted By Taipan01:
It really depends on what you're buying. Do manufactures degrade their products to sell at Wal-mart, no. That would be a good way to ruin a reputation. Will manufactures make special Wal-mart, k-mart, big 5 and so on "only models" yes. Remember the J.C. Higgins, Ted Williams, Coast to Coast, Sears brands and so on? Also, manufacturers offer different model variations. For instance take Marlins 336W vs. the 336C. Essentially the same rifle except the 336W is advertised as Walnut stained hardwood but the 336C is American Walnut. The price difference is about $100.00. You just need to do a bit of homework on the SPECIFIC model you're looking at. If the model is such and such then it's exactly the same offered anywhere else. Hope this helps.

Remember them? Hell, I own a J.C. Higgins and used to own a Montgomery Wards Western Field.

Both were excellent firearms. The J.C. Higgins has the smoothest action of any shotgun I've ever shot. VERY solid gun.

MikeJGA
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/26/2012 11:13:05 AM
I bought a Remington shotgun for my son there, when he was 15 there. He's 32 now and still using it.
colklink
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/26/2012 8:52:29 PM

Yes it is. Not saying that with walmarts buying power some companies do not make a cheaper line of their products for walmart but I have never seen any evidence that it happens with firearms.
OlCrow
Reverent of Individual Liberty
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2012 8:25:33 PM
Walmart has put many small stores in my area out of business.

Keep buying guns there and the small local gun shops will be closing too.
-Proud Supporter- Wounded Warrior Project

Reload_em
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2012 8:29:57 PM
[Last Edit: 9/27/2012 8:32:09 PM by Reload_em]
I got the last Winchester 94 within 200 miles of me at a WalMart shortly after Winchester stopped making them. It is an awesome gun!

I also bought a 10/22 from them that is no different from anywhere else other than I paid $50 less.

Those were my only two experiences with Wally World and guns. They now sell a very vanilla selection. They still get my money often for bulk packs of ammo! Almost too much!

"Be civil, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I can square dance and have taken golf AND ballroom dancing lessons. I wasn't born, they found me in a Wonder Bread wrapper." Aimless
LARRYG
USN 1969-1973
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2012 8:47:39 PM
[Last Edit: 9/27/2012 9:20:37 PM by LARRYG]
Originally Posted By OlCrow:

When a fricking local shop wants $20.00 MORE that MSRP for a 10/22 and WalMart has it for $25.00 less than MSRP, I will buy from Walmart.

And I am sick of the sob story about putting small stores out of business.

WalMart employs more than all those stores combined.

It is called capitalism.
If it's a Colt, it's a copy of an original ArmaLite.

I am not LARRYG36.

Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

If your AR10 is marked Geneseo, IL, it's still an AR10 no matter what some people say.
Meche_03
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2012 8:52:12 PM
Beyond the discount of buying in bulk, companies now that WalMart has cash and pays in full on time. They do not have to worry about late payments or lack of funds...low risk with fast cash transaction, who wouldn't knock a few dollars off of each gun when you sell a semi load at a time.

Kinda like that Lord of War movie
"This is a Glock & Wesson 45mm FPO designed in 1789 by Colt Koch"

I should be in the desert blowing up the sunshine.

NRA Life Member
Mechanical, Manufacturing, Mining and Explosives Engineer

Aubie1
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2012 9:15:24 PM
I've not had any issues with the rifles I purchased at WM...money talks when the economy is bad...money talks when economy is good as well.

I too dislike the 'WM putting local companies out of business" Well if this is true, then those companies don't know how to run a business.
Kurt_D
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2012 9:32:35 PM

It's called adapt; those that do it live on, the ones that don't die. Walmart does NOT sell every gun out there, nor do they or can they cover every segment/niche of the market. If a LGS is going to try and sell basic 10/22s, 700s, etc for greater than MSRP they will go out of buisness vs any large retailer (Walmart, Academy, etc). The shops who exploits the big chains weaknesses do well.

Examples: despite 3 Walmarts and an Academy, there are several LGS who continue to operate and do alright. One offers archery services, huge selection of fishing equipment, higher end shotguns and rifles (like Benelli, Beretta, Tika, etc.), huge selection of hunting and self defense ammo, good selection of higher end optics (Trijicon, Leupold, etc) and just basically exploits the large chains lack of varity and higher end equipment. Prices are reasonable and they offer transfers too. Another has a large selection of pistols, rifles etc. His pricing is almost as good as internet in a lot of cases, he makes his money on volume and low overhead. On a basic 10/22 he will be ~$20 more but he offers ARs, AKs, pistols that chains don't and he can beat their prices b/c those items have a higher margin. Another offers gunsmithing and transfers.

Of course we do have one that's struggling; trying to hold high margins (expensive) and still trying compete directly with Academy on sporting equipment, etc. If they don't can their thinking they will fold.
DogtownTom
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2012 9:58:07 PM

<––––FFL

Any gun shop put out of business by WalMart wasn't much of a gun shop to begin with.
Odd, isn't it that there are plenty of tire stores, clothing stores, sporting goods stores within sight of Wal Mart and they are doing just fine.
WalMart doesn't carry handguns (except Alaska) and has a very limited selection of firearms and ammunition. No premium ammunition, no leather or kydex holsters, no high end shotguns, no gunsmiths, and precious few employees that have a clue about firearms. If your local gun store is closing it isn't due to an inability to compete with WalMart its most likely an inability to run a business period. Mom and pop stores are for the financial enrichment of mom and pop.......and thats fine, but no more honorable than the profit making motives of a corporation

Funny isn't it, that as supposed proponents of the Second Amendment we have those who would like to see one less retailer selling guns.
That's just plain stupid. Remember when Dillards, Penney's, Sears, K Mart, Montgomery Ward and every freakin hardware store in America sold guns? I do.

Previous Page
Page:  / 3