Author
Posted: 9/8/2011 7:49:41 PM
I am in the market for one. It looks like marlin has discontinued the 981T. Is that correct? It is not showing on their website anymore and my dealer can not find one in stock. Any other similar rifles out there?

Thanks
"Nothing says "I am displeased with your actions" like a gunshot to the face." - PFC-Demon
K1rodeoboater
Nicht verfasst im GD macht frei
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/8/2011 9:10:26 PM
new production I can't help there...but there are a TON of old guns that were tube fed and bolt action that can be found for a pittance. My last one I picked up was $90 and shoots just about as good as my Kimber 82's
Beamy
.mil acft fixer, Penna boy living in South Canada
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/8/2011 9:21:38 PM
[Last Edit: 9/8/2011 9:23:45 PM by Beamy]
Originally Posted By jmhat98:
I am in the market for one. It looks like marlin has discontinued the 981T. Is that correct? It is not showing on their website anymore and my dealer can not find one in stock. Any other similar rifles out there?

Thanks

the 981T was built until last year, it has been replaced by the XT-22TR. Essentially same rifle but with a new stock and a Marlin version of the Accu-trigger

as to the 981T, I own one and in order to get the windage correct, had to drift the rear sight damn near to the edge of the barrel. I might end up scoping it, but truth be told, I'm not that impressed with it. Maybe I'm spoiled by my Marlin Model 60 and CZ 452

aside from the 981T, Marlin over the years built the 81, 781, 881, and 81TS. All of these rifles were tube fed bolt guns. Remington built a large amount over the years. Also take a good look at the Winchester 72A––-essentially a tube fed variant of the Winchester 69A
If guns kill, then silverware makes people fat

SSgt, USAF
2A571
former C-130 Hercules Crew Chief/ B-52H Stratofortress Dedicated Crew Chief
Joenavy85
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/9/2011 9:58:19 AM
Originally Posted By Beamy:
Originally Posted By jmhat98:

Thanks

the 981T was built until last year, it has been replaced by the XT-22TR. Essentially same rifle but with a new stock and a Marlin version of the Accu-trigger

as to the 981T, I own one and in order to get the windage correct, had to drift the rear sight damn near to the edge of the barrel. I might end up scoping it, but truth be told, I'm not that impressed with it. Maybe I'm spoiled by my Marlin Model 60 and CZ 452

aside from the 981T, Marlin over the years built the 81, 781, 881, and 81TS. All of these rifles were tube fed bolt guns. Remington built a large amount over the years. Also take a good look at the Winchester 72A––-essentially a tube fed variant of the Winchester 69A

Yep^^^^ http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/323/products_id/72778
musicman10_1
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/9/2011 4:41:49 PM
Remington 582. I've had one since i was a little kid and it is a great gun. I see them occasionally for sale in the classifieds and various boards.
MagnusM4
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/9/2011 7:18:22 PM
I posted this in your other threads but I'll leave this here for others to see..

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/XT22.asp
Billy_Dee
Colt .45 it works every time
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/10/2011 12:04:38 AM
If you can find an early to mid 20th century Mossberg tube fed bolt gun, they are awesome.

My dad has one, the model escapes me at the moment, but it is big, like a full sized rifle. (wanna say it's from the 20s to the 40s)
It is almost like and old competition gun, or military trainer.
It has no sights, and a real distinct integral scope mount, and a monte carlo type stock. (I think it may have had a peep sight in it's day)
Very light trigger, VERY light.

This rifle is dangerous accurate. I've several times seen him pop a sparrow at over 100 yards, cold, first try. Pop as in cloud of feathers.
Seen him make some other very impressive shots with it too, but the sparrow thing I've seen him repeat time after time.
Getting in touch with my inner Lando
rxdawg
Friendly neighborhood drug dealer
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/12/2011 11:56:16 AM
Originally Posted By musicman10_1:
Remington 582. I've had one since i was a little kid and it is a great gun. I see them occasionally for sale in the classifieds and various boards.

This. I have one that my grandfather bought. It's one of my favorite .22lr rifles.
keroppl
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/12/2011 9:47:34 PM

Originally Posted By Billy_Dee:
If you can find an early to mid 20th century Mossberg tube fed bolt gun, they are awesome.

My dad has one, the model escapes me at the moment, but it is big, like a full sized rifle. (wanna say it's from the 20s to the 40s)
It is almost like and old competition gun, or military trainer.
It has no sights, and a real distinct integral scope mount, and a monte carlo type stock. (I think it may have had a peep sight in it's day)
Very light trigger, VERY light.

This rifle is dangerous accurate. I've several times seen him pop a sparrow at over 100 yards, cold, first try. Pop as in cloud of feathers.
Seen him make some other very impressive shots with it too, but the sparrow thing I've seen him repeat time after time.

I got one of these from my grandpa. Mossberg model 46b(b) with peep sight.

I can attest to their accuracy.