Author
Freedom Isn't Free
Posted: 10/16/2010 9:57:54 AM
Why would I want a Mil Spec tube vs. a civilian tube? what is the purpose? I am wanting to order a Magpul Stock and can't decide why it would be better or worse?
"Our enemies are brutal, but they are no match for the United States of America, and they are no match for the men and women of the United States military." President G.W. Bush

www.woundedwarriorproject.org
cybersniper
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/16/2010 10:11:25 AM
[Last Edit: 10/16/2010 10:14:00 AM by cybersniper]
Comerical can vary in size. Milspec is standard.

Comerical is extruded. Milspec is forged.

Mil spec is thinner (.02"). I feel my milspec stocks slide easier.

Many higher end stocks only come in milspec.

Chart
tim01433
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/16/2010 10:38:43 AM
Always go with mil spec. You will win every time!
wesmerc
Resident Vermonster
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/16/2010 12:21:49 PM
Civilian tubes should be eliminated just because of the confusion they cause
wesmerc
Resident Vermonster
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/16/2010 12:22:38 PM
Originally Posted By cybersniper:
Comerical can vary in size. Milspec is standard.

Comerical is extruded. Milspec is forged.

Mil spec is thinner (.02"). I feel my milspec stocks slide easier.

Many higher end stocks only come in milspec.

Chart

commercial could be forged or even milled. there is no standard for commercial
a308garand
M1 Garand Solves Problems Quick
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/16/2010 2:13:23 PM
Originally Posted By COZ:
Why would I want a Mil Spec tube vs. a civilian tube? what is the purpose? I am wanting to order a Magpul Stock and can't decide why it would be better or worse?

The milpec tube is built to a standard size. When you change stocks later (don't worry, you will) any stock made for a milspec tube will slide right on without trouble.

The commercial sized tube is not built to a standard size and can cause fitting trouble when placing a stock onto the tube. Sometimes too tight, sometimes too loose.

"Your times is over! You are gonna die bloody; all you can do is pick where!"
~Sheriff to Butch and Sundance
Milo5
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/16/2010 3:57:28 PM
The only reason and I do mean THE ONLY REASON commercial tubes were ever put on rifles to begin with is they were cheaper to produce meaning the manufacturers made more money on the end product.
You will also find the commercial size buttstocks were also very cheap copies of the original collapsing stock and many have failed and been replaced over the years.
At least the quality of the commercial buttstocks has improved in recent years.
A classic abomination of pure greed and I agree the things should be eliminated completely.
glazer1972
Lifetime Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2010 10:18:55 AM
Milspec.
المسيحي, النصراني
Surly
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2010 10:26:43 AM
Originally Posted By Milo5:
The only reason and I do mean THE ONLY REASON commercial tubes were ever put on rifles to begin with is they were cheaper to produce meaning the manufacturers made more money on the end product.
You will also find the commercial size buttstocks were also very cheap copies of the original collapsing stock and many have failed and been replaced over the years.
A classic abomination of pure greed and I agree the things should be eliminated completely.

Keep in mind that milspec is milspec because it was contracted to the lowest bidder.

a308garand
M1 Garand Solves Problems Quick
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2010 12:56:12 PM
Originally Posted By Surly:

Keep in mind that milspec is milspec because it was contracted to the lowest bidder, that could meet the quality standards and materiels demanded for the military service.

Add what was left off, in blue

"Your times is over! You are gonna die bloody; all you can do is pick where!"
~Sheriff to Butch and Sundance
Surly
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2010 2:32:20 PM
[Last Edit: 10/17/2010 2:32:46 PM by Surly]
Originally Posted By a308garand:
Originally Posted By Surly:

Keep in mind that milspec is milspec because it was contracted to the lowest bidder, that could meet the quality standards and materiels demanded for the military service.

Add what was left off, in blue

And again I'll emphasize lowest bidder. If the material costs remain relatively constant...the chincing will have to be with the skilled labor, or lack thereof, of the parts manufactured. Then there's always the chance of materials going up after a contract was granted. Not arguing, just giving the complete picture from the manufacturers perspective.
Moondog
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2010 4:51:13 PM
Once those parts arrive, they're inspected and held to the specifications they were contracted to be produced at. If the parts don't fall into that specification, they're rejected. Sure, mil-spec doesn't automatically mean it's an A!, high quality product, however whatever the specs are, you know the products that pass it are going to be consistent and predictable.
TheGribbleReport
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/18/2010 12:42:03 AM
if its the CTR stock, get the commercial...... it comes with a "recoil pad"..... not much of a recoil reducer (not that an ar needs one) but it fits in my shoulder well
Alien
The chestbursting and wallwalking kind...
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/18/2010 11:57:18 AM
[Last Edit: 10/18/2010 11:59:16 AM by Alien]

Originally Posted By TheGribbleReport:
if its the CTR stock, get the commercial...... it comes with a "recoil pad"..... not much of a recoil reducer (not that an ar needs one) but it fits in my shoulder well

The Mil-spec stock comes standard with the rubber buttpad now too. Mine was purchased that way several months back brand new. I purchased a DSA mil-spec buffer tube/receiver extension to go with it.

$19.95 @ AIM Surplus
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XDSABuffer&groupid=57
Yep. I'm a grown ass man and I am a seasoned veteran at arguing on the internet as well.