Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 10:46:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fatbarrel] [#1]

Originally Posted By Mike_L:
What do you guys use to darken the iron sights so they won't glare?

A Sharpie or other heavy black magic marker will do in a pinch.

FB

Posted by Mike_L
My dad tried that on his Blackhawk and it made it black, but still shiny.  Didn't help his glare problem at all.

I doesn't surprise me that it didn't work on a Blackhawk.  If the gun's finish is shiny (stainless, blued, etc...), the marker doesn't work.  On an AR or other gun with a matte finish (ie phosphate, parked, etc..) it works very well.

FB
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Nails work just as well as brass punches.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#3]
can we get this tacked?
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Plastic Q-tip front sight adjustment tool. No kidding!! Strip off the cotton from one end and then simply press the plastic tube over the sight. It's almost like it was made for it. Press the detent down with whatever will work, and use the Q-tip to turn the sight. I discovered this when I was cleaning my AR and changed the front sight at the same time. Put a few in your range bag or cleaning kit and you will always have a sight adjustment tool!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 1:30:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#5]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:11:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: This_Is_Necessary] [#6]

Originally Posted By Krackels:

Originally Posted By jls7:
If for some reason you find yourself removing your old stock and you have no idea what you are doing, and your rear take down pin spring flies across the room never to be found again (Because you didnt have a sheet over your head ) have no fear you have an unlimited supply of these springs at your local 7-11. What the hell is he talking about!!? Im talking about the spring in A BIC lighter that pushes the flint up aginst the rolling strike wheel. It is exactly the same diameter and applies enough force on the detent when installed to keep the TDP from moving indefinitly. This way you dont have to order a .50 part and pay $7 in shipping for a stupid little spring that should have stayed in the gun anyway goddamit.

JLS7

+1, That's the best tip yet.

When I first got my AR, I took the stock off and in the process, I heard something hit the ground behind me...... Took me a while to figure out that a spring used to be inside that little hole and now it's gone. I bet I spent a hour looking for that little spring.   Won't make that mistake again.  
Thanks for a great tip.

Gene
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By m24shooter:

Originally Posted By LazerSighterz:
I don't know if this has been mentioned on the previous pages but...

Whats a cheap and neat trick to get that done with?

Creedmore and similar have sight blacking.  You can also use a carbide flame, or just a match/lighter.

A Sharpie or other heavy black magic marker will do in a pinch.

FB
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 1:25:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't smoke the butthole!
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Tagged
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 11/13/2005 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By LazerSighterz:

Creedmore and similar have sight blacking.  You can also use a carbide flame, or just a match/lighter.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, I learned that Breakfree CLP works great to:

1. Loosen door locks that have been frozen due to a Hurricane, and last much longer than WD40

2. Removes road tar from your car better and quicker than WD40.

Link Posted: 11/13/2005 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#13]
My first tag
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:

Originally Posted By nutbad:
DRUG FAIR RX BOREGUIDE DPMS AP4 .308

Rx Note: Diameter of the container is (1.200") almost similar to the bolt,  fit is perfect that it will only goes in where the bolt goes,  will not come out thru the side.   The borebrush can be kept inside so it will not scratch the upper. BTW I drilled a hole at the bottom of the container to let the cleaning rod thru.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/asintaderoche/ac44e259.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/asintaderoche/65b808ac.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/asintaderoche/c6a6d1c7.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/asintaderoche/27d795a7.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/asintaderoche/5eb9eef5.jpg

WARNING: THIS MAY CAUSE DROWSINESS

That's awesome.  This thread should be tacked.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2005 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't remember the details, but a lot of guys put RTV in the space between the charging handle and the shroud of the upper receiver.  A cheap alternative to the gas buster type mods.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 3:13:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Tagged
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 4:51:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I um, well, this may be a little sacrilegious, but to deal with the front pin detent, I just trimmed the spring a tad so it would sit just below the edge of the hole.  Life made easy, and it still holds pretty darn well.

Link Posted: 11/13/2005 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By fargo007:
Free targets:

Cut a standard paper grocery bag in half lengthwise.

Cut the two corner lines and open each half up flat.  You now have two silhouette targets, exactly the same size as an IDPA cardboard.

Make a stencil out of tough cardboard with a pie plate sized circle in the center, and an octagon some distance around it.  Draw with a fat magic marker.  The stencil ensures they are all the same size and are consistent.

The circle and head are 5 points, the octagon is 4, and outside that is 2.

It's life sized, so you can use it at any distance.  Shoot it backwards and 'guess' the center of mass and see how ya do.

If you need a visual focus point, staple a pie plate in the middle over the 5 circle.

Shoot a full mag of 30.  10 prone, 10 kneeling, 10 standing.  At least one every range day.

Record your score, the ammo, the distance, and the field position.  Keep track and see how you improve.

--Fargo007

Thanks! I'm going to start using this everytime I shoot.

If anyone is confused on the cutting...make the 1st. cut with the bag in the flat/folded state.  After that, it's easy to see the 2 corners you have to cut.
The "head" part of the target is 1/2 of what once was the bottom of the bag.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2005 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Rx Note: Diameter of the container is (1.200") almost similar to the bolt,  fit is perfect that it will only goes in where the bolt goes,  will not come out thru the side.   The borebrush can be kept inside so it will not scratch the upper. BTW I drilled a hole at the bottom of the container to let the cleaning rod thru.

Link Posted: 11/13/2005 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#20]

That's awesome.  This thread should be tacked.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 11/12/2005 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Hockey pucks placed on your bench work great when you place your rifle on top. Then drive the pins down between them. Rolls of electrical tape are the next best thing. Keep your old belt to use as soft jaws in your vise. And a cheap Harbor Freight rubber strap wrench works great to tighten muzzle cans. OTTO, the cheapskate.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#23]
bump
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 2:16:06 AM EDT
[#24]
can this be tacked?
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By HotLead:

Originally Posted By MisterPX:

#6 Oring for extractor

]

I went to Lowe's and found the O-rings in the plumbing section;  The #7 worked perfoect for the front receiver lug, but the #6 was HUGE.  Way too big for the extractor...anybody have dimensions for the one I should be looking for?  
-JD

When at Lowes look in the section where they keep small parts. My Lowes has almost every imaginable small part there is stocked in small bins. They have even the smallest of o-rings, roll pins, set screws…….
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#26]
tag

HH
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#27]
tg
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#28]
So freakin' tagged.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By MisterPX:

#6 Oring for extractor

]

I went to Lowe's and found the O-rings in the plumbing section;  The #7 worked perfoect for the front receiver lug, but the #6 was HUGE.  Way too big for the extractor...anybody have dimensions for the one I should be looking for?  
-JD
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#30]
taggggg
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 3:33:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By Tweak:

Originally Posted By heathen:
For Gas tube assembly/disassembly I drilled a small hole slightly smaller than the gas tube in a pair of cheap plyers. Just clamp the closed plyers in a vise and drill in the area where the two flat sections of the plyers touch. Works great for stubborn ones.

Why not just clamp the gas tube in the vise and pull it out?

It's easier for me when installing the gas tube to use these plyers and allows me to adjust the tube in the front sight base to line up pin hole. I can hold the upper up to the light, look through the pin hole and pull, twist or whatever is needed to line it up. I got the idea from an Armilite Gunsmith that used one on an upper of mine. Worked pretty slick and fairly cheap so I made myself one. A vise may help removing a stuck gas tube but will not work as well as the plyers to reinstall it.

Besides, this topic is about cheap tips and tricks for the AR so I posted one that I think works very well. I've put a few together where the tube was tight and hard to get in the hole.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#33]
taggage
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 11:49:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By Atreides:
Old tooth brushes can be bent to achive different angled heads, making getting to that hard to reach area easy. Just simply heat up the toothbrush handle a little with a candle

If you put a little grease on your recoil buffer and buffer spring, your rifle won't go BOOooing!!!! everytime you fire it.

Use colored electrical tape to mark your mags as YOURS. You could also color code them to tell you what they are loaded with. I use RED tape for XM193's , GREEN for my M855's etc. By doing this you are always aware of exactly what your gun is loaded with.

A computer dust brush work great for taking off the lint from your AR.

Just dont put too much grease on the spring or in the buffer tube. That is what i did and grease shot out of the upper screw on the recoil pad and i had a nice little grease spot on my shirt.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Free targets:

Cut a standard paper grocery bag in half lengthwise.

Cut the two corner lines and open each half up flat.  You now have two silhouette targets, exactly the same size as an IDPA cardboard.

Make a stencil out of tough cardboard with a pie plate sized circle in the center, and an octagon some distance around it.  Draw with a fat magic marker.  The stencil ensures they are all the same size and are consistent.

The circle and head are 5 points, the octagon is 4, and outside that is 2.

It's life sized, so you can use it at any distance.  Shoot it backwards and 'guess' the center of mass and see how ya do.

If you need a visual focus point, staple a pie plate in the middle over the 5 circle.

Shoot a full mag of 30.  10 prone, 10 kneeling, 10 standing.  At least one every range day.

Record your score, the ammo, the distance, and the field position.  Keep track and see how you improve.

--Fargo007
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#36]
White out works too.

FREE

Originally Posted By Forest:

Originally Posted By Shooterer:
A dab of bright color nail polish on the front sight, saves you $60.00 for a Trijicon post.

Link Posted: 10/14/2005 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By glock223:
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

[Chief Wiggum]That's a good post Ralphie[Chief Wiggum]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:52:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: QUIB] [#39]
I’ll throw in Quib’s A1 pistol grip mod.

In need of a A1 grip for my retro build I decided to cut off the finger groove on my A2 grip to give it the appearance and feel of an A1 grip…….there you have it, the A1.1 grip!

This tied me over untill I eventually found a “like new” grip off the E n’ E. The grip now resides on my Sons .22 GUU clone.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By MAP:

Originally Posted By boilergonzo:
Even big kids need Silly Putty!  Flatten it out and use it to keep small parts, springs, etc. from rolling around.  Also good for getting debris and crud out of little nooks or picking up small parts dropped in tight spaces.  Learned it by watching a watchmaker work on Rolex's and such.

I use a steel bowl with a magnet on the bottom. Works great! If you shop around you can get them for $5.00

Mike

I used this as well but I found out it magnatized all of my steel parts. i.e. firing pin, cotter pin etc.  Was really concerned until I shot.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:55:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: offroader333] [#42]
i got one i haven't seen here yet, a.t.f. as in trans. fluid will soften carbon buildup over time. an old timer showed me awhile back. he had an engine block sitting in his garage without heads, there was trans. fluid on top of pistons, i asked what was up with that. he said it removes carbon, takes a week or so but after soaking it will rub/brush right off. every so often when my ar bolts have buildup i soak them a few days. great thread dace!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:12:41 AM EDT
[#43]
tag
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:25:07 AM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By cgv69:

Originally Posted By X_Ring:

#7 O-ring around the front lug on an upper receiver will tighten up most poorly fitting upper\lower combos. It's cheaper and easier to use (and find) then an "Accu-wedge"

Did you mean the REAR lug?  

Nope, I mean the front one. Try it, you'll like it!

(edit to add - See the pic on page 3 of this thread posted by Russ4777 - it shows exactly what I am talking about. Thank Russ!)

ever use earplugs stacked on each other to replace an accuwedge?  they're cheap, or free if you find them at the range.  i'm not gonna put them in my ears if i find them on the ground, but dust them off and they'll be fine in your lower.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#45]
slap
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By 552bigdog:
I use an ironingboard to set my guns on while I clean them sitting at the couch. You can adjust them to the perfect height you need.

For some reason, I LOVE this idea!

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By TriggerFish:

Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
How about duct tape light mount?

www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135gunlight-med.jpg
+1 to that!

BOOYAH!!!!

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By Shooterer:
A dab of bright color nail polish on the front sight, saves you $60.00 for a Trijicon post.

Uh? No

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By jls7:
have no fear you have an unlimited supply of these springs at your local 7-11. JLS7

Are you serious ???

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#50]
bump.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top