Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2017 9:03:51 PM EDT
Do you guys paint the receiver extension or does the paint just come off when you adjust the stock.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I've done both; I usually at least paint what's exposed with the stock fully extended.

If you have a nice fitting extension like an LMT I would not paint it...as it probably wouldn't open/close with another mil of paint on it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually remove the stock and paint the whole receiver extension.  No particular reason... just have typically done it that way, I guess if I were to think about it (as I suppose I am in the midst of typing it...), there might be a situation where excess paint could pool between the stock/receiver extension, especially if you have a looser fit, besides that, I have no other real rationale to offer...

The paint does end up wearing off pretty quick on the receiver extension, especially under your cheek, especially if you get sweaty... but if I were worried about the wear, I probably wouldn't be rattle canning...

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I usually remove the stock and paint the whole receiver extension.  No particular reason... just have typically done it that way, I guess if I were to think about it (as I suppose I am in the midst of typing it...), there might be a situation where excess paint could pool between the stock/receiver extension, especially if you have a looser fit, besides that, I have no other real rationale to offer...

The paint does end up wearing off pretty quick on the receiver extension, especially under your cheek, especially if you get sweaty... but if I were worried about the wear, I probably wouldn't be rattle canning...

~Augee
View Quote
I agree with everything Augee said.

I remove the stock and spray the extension and stock separately.  Don't over apply rattle can to the extension if your stock fits tight.  It'll be REAL TIGHT if you apply the paint too thickly.  

Rattle can wears, but that's part of the charm.

If you want rattle can that is more durable try Aervoe.  It is more chemical and wear resistant but also takes longer to cure.  I can spray an AR with Krylon camo and be on teh range within 20 minutes.  I have to let Aervoe cure for at least a day (if painting in summer when the humidity is higher).  Aervoe actually "wears" instead of "removes".  The top coat (if you can attribute this quality to spray paint) will scuff / wear before you burn through to the base material below.  Krylon and Rustoelum will just wear off.

Its all good though.  Just buy a can of Acetone, and strip it when you're tired of the finish.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
And if you don't like it...start over...

(Don't use Citi Strip ... its too messy).
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
..and turn it into something like this..

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks good, thanks for the info.  I got a new job so I haven't had time to mess around with this project yet.  I need to buy some paint and start on a 2x4 or something before I get serious.  I tend to rush finish jobs like this and mess things up, so it will be interesting.  I'm doing this for a hunting gun so I may want something with a longer lasting finish.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Different stuff, different applications.  I'd say for a hunting gun, if you want more durability skip the spray cans and use a good finish such as Duracoat, KG Gunkote, or Cerakote.  Any one of those will go on the bbl extension and not scratch off.  At least not with normal use.  

The thing is, a lot of parts fit so loose, you could probably use some extra paint build up to tighten them up.  And really why do you need to move the stock adjustment anyway, unless you're jumping or diving in somewhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top