Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2016 12:10:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I would probably buy a FDE lower and build with that, saving the black one for later, or selling it to someone else.  Barring that as an option, you can buy the Cerakote (?) in a can for a one time use.  Should be plenty to cover your lower and any other extra parts you might have forgotten about or can't get already in FDE.  
Third option would be to send the lower to someone and have it coated by them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Krylon, Aervoe, Cerakote, Duracoat, Aluma-hyde, many options do it yourself or send it to someone for a professional job. Most durable is cerakote. That said, paint it, enjoy it, but don't lose sleep or get pissy when it gets scratched up from use. You wouldn't believe how many people I have met that freak out over a scratch in their "perfect" paint job
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Krylon will last a long time, a very long time in the hands of most, and even then the wear will mostly be on the high points.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want to DIY and keep it fairly simple, skip the krylon and get a can of aerovoe coyote.
The paint is lots more durable than regular spray cans, and the coyote is a good match for most fde parts.
I painted this upper with it, and it is a perfect match for the cerakote fde lower and other bits.
All the furniture was older and worn, so it is a little darker, but you get the point.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top