Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2016 9:25:58 AM EDT
Anyone used Rit dye (or something other than paint) to take grey furniture (plastic and rubber on my B5 SOPMOD) and make it black?  Wondering if a long, long bath in black Rit dye would work.

Same question for FDE (magpul grips)

Thanks

ETA I see it will work with the FDE, and probably the grey.  Wondering if anyone had died rubber (buttpad on B5 stock) and how long I should leave the parts in.  I'm seeing 2 hours or so on various other posts.  I want to avoid the "purple" look of not leaving it in long enough, but I've seen a post of two where leaving it in for a long time (8 hours, the guy forgot about his parts....) made it a MUCH darker shade of black than standard (magpul) stuff.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone used Rit dye (or something other than paint) to take grey furniture (plastic and rubber on my B5 SOPMOD) and make it black?  Wondering if a long, long bath in black Rit dye would work.

Same question for FDE (magpul grips)

Thanks

ETA I see it will work with the FDE, and probably the grey.  Wondering if anyone had died rubber (buttpad on B5 stock) and how long I should leave the parts in.  I'm seeing 2 hours or so on various other posts.  I want to avoid the "purple" look of not leaving it in long enough, but I've seen a post of two where leaving it in for a long time (8 hours, the guy forgot about his parts....) made it a MUCH darker shade of black than standard (magpul) stuff.
View Quote

Personally I would dye the stock, as its plastic and people have had good success with RIT dye on plastic pieces, and just leave the rubber pad gray. It wont be that noticeable, and you wont risk having it not exactly color matched, if that is something that will bother you going forward.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, worked great!!!!  Grey stock now totally black, just about perfect match to VLTOR/Magpul black, almost kinda a satin-y sheen, three rit dye packs in simmering water + white vinegar for about 45 mins.  Grey rubber buttpad, no effect whatsoever, ha.  I had been trying to trade my stock on the EE with no bites, didn't want to buy a new one.  $4.98 Wok at Wal-mart + $2.68 per pack of rit dye + free white vinegar from my pantry + very confused looks from my kids + very questionable look from my wife when i took over her stove = black B5 stock.  

I'll post before and after pics if anyone cares, if it would help anyone else out.  I'm going to do an FDE MOE grip next, had I remembered at the time I would have done it alongside the B5.

I was reading about some yo-yo (yes, yo-yo) collector dying various plastics, and he uses acetone along with rit dye on certain types of polymers.  Had never heard of that before but I guess on certain types of polymers the acetone is what opens up the pores.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top