Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2016 10:43:02 PM EDT
I've got all my arevoe spray cans ready to paint the AR. What do you suggest I clean the surfaces with prior to spraying?? Acetone, brake cleaner....
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:51:18 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as no plastic parts and just want to make sure no oil break cleaner first then good wipe down with the acetone. And don't touch with bare hands at any time when you start until you finish painting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll give the lower a shot of brake cleaner and wipe it off. Mostly just cleaning up around the trigger and hammer pins where oil seeps out. Other than that, not a damn thing. I do wear gloves while spraying, but that is mostly because I hate trying to clean paint off my hands.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#3]
denatured alcohol or 90% rubbing alc.  Brake cleaner can be a tad harsh sometimes and it often splashes back in your face.  I use coffee filters (because they are cheap as heck and lint-free) doused in prep cleaner of choice and give a quip rub down while wearing gloves.  The item is usually hung up and ready to spray immediately.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as no plastic parts and just want to make sure no oil break cleaner first then good wipe down with the acetone. And don't touch with bare hands at any time when you start until you finish painting.
View Quote

This.  I blast off nooks and crannies with some brake cleaner before wiping down with acetone.  Works 100% for me and really helps getting your paint to stick.  But I am OCD since there are painters in the family
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:22:55 AM EDT
[#5]
No prep is best prep. Gives it that authentic look after you use it a bunch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Finger fuck after eating pizza.  

Roll in cat hair.  

Apply spray paint.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Non chlorinated brake cleaner. Cheap, easy, effective.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had success using Formula 409, and then flushing with hot water.

So far, harmless to plastics. I can testify from personal experience this is not always true of some of the cleaners mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:53:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Roll in cat hair.  

Apply spray paint.  

~Augee
View Quote

Pretty much this.  No real "prep" needed.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 4:19:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Hose down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and don't touch with bare hands.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Roll in cat hair.  

Apply spray paint.  

~Augee
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#12]
i would use a hair dryer to blow the cat hair off at least come on
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i would use a hair dryer to blow the cat hair off at least come on
View Quote

Just remember to piss on it after painting.  You've got to assert your dominance over it so it'll stick.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Went rubbing alcohol route. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I like a quick splash of simple green to get the grease and oils off, then go at it.  Like a few other folks said, after some use you start to get some wear and tear anyway, so not worried about a perfect paint job on a rifle that will be used.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I just spray everything down with Gunscrubber before painting.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I've used carb or brake cleaner first, to get rid of any oil/chunks/crud.

Then I wipe down a couple times with rubbing alcohol and microfiber cloths (still see some discoloring, like the carb/brake cleaner didn't quite get everything).

Then I paint.

The latex gloves thing is good.  It keeps the oils/salts from your skin/fingers from getting on the surfaces prior to painting and could result in adhesion problems at some point.

I would recommend trying some different patterns on cardboard or something first, till you get an idea for what colors/patterns you want.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#18]
All I do is wipe off any oil and fingerprints with a rag..  So far everyone I've sprayed has held up good enough..
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm with Augee.

Just paint and be done!

All I did was plug the bore and tape off my scope lenses. Then everything got hit with Krylon, Rustoleum and whatever other "camo" paint brands I had around.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#20]
got a fellow worker that says he puts vaseline on parts he doesnt want paint to stick to. he never uses tape. love to see his work some day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top