Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2015 9:18:55 AM EDT
Is is durable?

Shiny?

Does it last?

Does the gun need to be a certain base color before dipping? I am looking at the grey/black Kryptek Typhon design.

Does it need to be sealed with a matte (dull clear) over coat after dipping?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:58:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Somewhat.

No.

Goes along with the durability.

No.

Yes. Usually clear Cerakote is applied over the transfer.

Look for more info here.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Somewhat.

No.

No.

Look for more info here.
View Quote

TYVM Sir! I did not realize there was a refinishing section here!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I have several items of mine hydrodipped "professionally" - anything from entire guns to various AR accessories. I have found the dip pattern to be pretty cool, but none of my dipped items have been durable in the least, even with 'durable' clearcoats applied.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:43:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Somewhat.

No.

No.

Look for more info here.
View Quote

It depends what they clear it with.
It can be shiny.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Not durable

Not shiny

No it doesn't last

Yes it should be clear coated to help with durability issues

Krylon holds up just as well , although perhaps slightly less cool
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It can be shiny.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somewhat.

No.

No.

Look for more info here.

It can be shiny.

That's true. I just usually see companies use 157 or 161FQ, which is a low gloss. Looks almost matte.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#7]
a good hydro dipper will prep and properly use 2 part auto grade paint.  the finish will be more durable than any krylon job but its still paint. ive hydro dipped using Duracoat as the base color and its best of both worlds especially finishing it off with the Duracoat Matte clear as a top coat. if you like a certain pattern i say just go for it but expect some scratches and dings over time. i think it adds to character and gives some rust protection to the outside surfaces.you can always touch up minor stuff with a paint pen or sharpie marker.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
It depends on who's doing the hydrodipping.  Mine are still going strong with no flaking.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It's a process, not a product.

So like some have said, it all depends who does it and what products they use.

You can use any type of paint, from rattle can, to Cerakote. So durability depends on the paints.
View Quote

Not really. Some paints will not soften up with the activator and make a sturdy bond with the film.

It's really a process of trial and error at first to see what works best. The main thing is water temps. If you can't control the water temp to whichever temps works best, you won't go very far. Of course, your paying someone, hopefully you won't have to worry about this.

The finish can be matte, satin, or glossy. It depends on what clear coat they use to meet your needs. I find that automotive clear coat works well, as long as you apply a decent coat that won't bind in tight areas.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Every paint SHOULD have a window. Some are shorter than others, so they may not be ideal, but it's there. I haven't come across any paint yet that wouldn't take a dip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a process, not a product.

So like some have said, it all depends who does it and what products they use.

You can use any type of paint, from rattle can, to Cerakote. So durability depends on the paints.
Not really. Some paints will not soften up with the activator and make a sturdy bond with the film.
It's really a process of trial and error at first to see what works best. The main thing is water temps. If you can't control the water temp to whichever temps works best, you won't go very far. Of course, your paying someone, hopefully you won't have to worry about this.

The finish can be matte, satin, or glossy. It depends on what clear coat they use to meet your needs. I find that automotive clear coat works well, as long as you apply a decent coat that won't bind in tight areas.

Every paint SHOULD have a window. Some are shorter than others, so they may not be ideal, but it's there. I haven't come across any paint yet that wouldn't take a dip.
I had a problem with my 2-part base paint. The activator would soften it up too much too fast. I ended up going to Lowes and have them color match me some latex paint which made it a lot easier. I found that was a bit easier and cheaper than playing with ratios of Xylene.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#13]
If you really want a durably camo type pattern have someone do it in cerakote, it will cost way more than a hydro dip but will last forever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top