Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2015 1:10:48 PM EDT
I have my Grandfather/Father's 1940 Winchester and 1941 Remington.  Stocks are in good shape, but I want to oil/protect them

I got some real Tung oil to oil the stocks on some M1 Carbines.  Would Tung oil be OK on these stocks?  I think (from CMP forum) that was original finish on the M1's, but not sure how commercial stocks would have been originaly finished.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Tung oil was commonly used during that period.
Linseed oil (raw or boiled) is the other most likely finish, but is not as desirable as tung oil.
Since there are no issues with applying tung oil over linseed oil, and you have tung oil, that's what I'd use.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Be sure to buy "real" tung oil, the stuff they sell in the box stores is more than likely just really thin poly.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, pure tung oil is the cats ass, especially for your application. I don't think it likes going over existing oil, though, and won't do you any good over laquers or sheen oils. If your rifles are "bone stock" in terms of just having BLO on them over time, you should be ok, and tung won't hurt.

Tung is designed on fresh wood to be laid heavy, excess wiped, then dry for 24 hours.

In your application, I would actually go on a little light, and wipe the excess. Maybe repeat a couple times. Please post your results.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:41:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I would not apply a drying oil finish on your finished stocks. Unless you are re-finishing them.

Just wipe on some Old English Lemon Oil.  That's what I use on all of the furniture I've made over the years.

And fwiw, ALL of the oils above only penetrate the wood by around 1/32".
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not apply a drying oil finish on your finished stocks. Unless you are re-finishing them.

Just wipe on some Old English Lemon Oil.  That's what I use on all of the furniture I've made over the years.

And fwiw, ALL of the oils above only penetrate the wood by around 1/32".
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for a ll the replies.  I ordered some pure Carnuba gun stock wax and am going to use that.  From what I can gather that is the safest.  I mainly don't want to mess them up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top