Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2015 5:59:13 PM EDT
Well guys, I finally finished the base of my folding stock for my lever gun minus the actual fitting (it's at the machinist now) and was wondering what stain to do that would look good with the burnt bronze cerakote job the receiver and barrel will be getting later (the rest will be black). The stock is a Precision Gun Works walnut and the forend (yet to aquire) will be the same. The stock will also have a leather shell holder/cheek riser. Buttplate will also be burnt bronze

Here's the stock for reference:
(and the gap is on purpose and the black paint around the folding mechanism is to seal off the wood filler)

Here is the cerakote design I'm going for. I dislike the wood though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Skip stain, just lots of oil finish and you're good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome. Thanks. So would you say like minwax tung oil or antique oil would be fine?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Danish oil is all I use.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Awesome. Thanks. So would you say like minwax tung oil or antique oil would be fine?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minwax antique oil finish in the red can is simply amaing stuff.  Wet sand in the first 2-3 coats with 400-600 grit gently.  The 4th and 5th coat I leave wet and let dry 24hrs.  To dull it down after that I buff it a couple days later with Johnson's floor wax and 0000 steel wool.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:38:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Minwax antique oil finish in the red can is simply amaing stuff.  Wet sand in the first 2-3 coats with 400-600 grit gently.  The 4th and 5th coat I leave wet and let dry 24hrs.  To dull it down after that I buff it a couple days later with Johnson's floor wax and 0000 steel wool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Edit: Bonus use for the Johnson's wax, got any blued safe queens?  Do them up (the blued steel) with a couple of coats of Johnson's, and rust will not be a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top