Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2015 7:46:35 PM EDT
I'm in the process of Cerakoting a few of my own guns. I have several friends that know me well and how CDO( it is not OCD, they need to be in the correct order) I can be about my work. They have ask me about doing things for them even though they have not seen anything I have done. I'm really have not been interested in doing it, but I have got a bit of money Spent between sprayers,hoses,filters,cabinets,Alox,etc. I'm beginning to consider doing some but what to everything legit.
I know that gunsmiths are required to have an FFL and I would assume that Cerakoting would count as a Gunsmithing. I believe I could cerakote everything except the lower receiver of an AR without an FFL. Is that correct?
If I like how mine turns out I and I choose to start doing others, I will get an FFL. I already have an LLC that I could convert to use so that is covered.
What FFL is required to Gunsmith and how much would that end up costing me?

I'm on the fence about this and probably will not be worth the money. But just wondering
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#1]
07 manufacturer.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
A type 07 is for a manufacturer.  If you are doing gunsmithing, including cerakoting you only need a 01 license.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Get an 01 FFL and take in customer firearms for gunsmithing, which Cerakoting would be described as.

If you get an 07 FFL, you can coat guns of which do not belong to a customer that are for sale....but you'd have to pay over $2k (iirc) a year for insurance that you'll never need or use.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
01 if you ONLY do guns that have passed point of sale and belong to a customer. (John-Boy brings you his AR and you paint it and give it back to him)

If you buy new guns, coat them and then sell them, that is manufacturing and requires an 07.
View Quote

Correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top