Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2015 12:19:03 AM EDT
I sell a fair amount of AR build parts in my store. I would like to start offering Cerakoted parts and accessories, things like lowers, hand guards, etc.

What are the minimum hardware requirements? I have a 60 gallon single stage compressor, and don't mind buying a small blast cabinet and HVLP setup if needed. I want a durable product so I am thinking I should go with a heat cured coating.

Please let me know what I will need to get started.

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:02:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is the Cerakote Training Manual – H & C Series Firearm Coatings. It'll help you with determining what's needed to apply either coating. If you haven't gone to Cerakote's website yet, it does have a lot of resources to help you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#2]
AR-4C thank you for providing the link. Looks like a blast cabinet, suitable, compressor, spray rig, and curing oven are what is needed.

jonblack
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You might also want to consider a spray booth.  I used a respirator for a while and then installed a booth.  Darned glad I did because now I can shoot without a respirator or having a fog of finish floating around the shop.

You'll need a good air compressor large enough to run a good blasting cabinet, 120 Alox media for blasting, soak tanks for degreasing, brake cleaner (for degreasing), masking supplies, measuring and mixing beakers, stir sticks, strainer, decent HLVP gun with .8 tip (the HF guns work okay but plan on replacing them from time to time), Acetone for cleaning the gun and beakers, an oven big enough to hold barrels and capable for maintaining a constant 250 degrees for 2 hours, hooks for hanging parts in the oven, stencils if doing camo patterns, and a bit of patience.

I've been shooting Cerakote for a while and have quite a bit invested in equipment.  Yes, you can do it on the cheap but you'll end up fighting a few things (like fog in the shop if you don't exhaust the spray area).
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#4]
An 07 FFL.  (refinishing a firearm/lower that is owned by the store is a manufacturing process according to the ATF, if you only do other people's stuff, an 01 is fine.)
I wouldn't go smaller than a high duty cycle 40 gallon compressor. I run a 60 and wish I had a 90.
A blast cabinet, add extra sealant as you assemble it.
100 Grit Aluminum Oxide.  How much depends on the size of your cabinet.
A very high quality, high pressure air dryer. You really don't want to blast water all over your freshly cleaned parts.
Vats for acetone baths.
Acetone, and a lot of it. You'll spend a lot more money on Acetone than Cerakote.
A good HVLP gun. Preferably a couple or more of them. This will make me sound like a dick, but it's true. Those that think a harbor freight gun is good enough, have never used a Graco.  Those that think a Graco is top of the line, have never used an Iwata.
The oven. Household ovens are bad.  You want your stuff to be a good distance away from the heating element.
I have probably 300 various shaped hooks, 10 hooks set up with pistol grip screws, a bunch of flashhiders, various pistol mag releases and several other parts I use for hanging and masking because the plugs can't so everything.
The plug kit.
Lots of graduated cylinders and stir sticks.
Lots of filters for Cerakote.
A refer to store the Cerakote. (I keep it on the highest setting, which will keep it down around 55 to 60 degrees in the summer.
A high quality respirator.  Dust masks and even the higher grade particulate masks aren't good enough. Wear an actual respirator.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An 07 FFL.  (refinishing a firearm/lower that is owned by the store is a manufacturing process according to the ATF, if you only do other people's stuff, an 01 is fine.)
I wouldn't go smaller than a high duty cycle 40 gallon compressor. I run a 60 and wish I had a 90.
A blast cabinet, add extra sealant as you assemble it.
100 Grit Aluminum Oxide.  How much depends on the size of your cabinet.
A very high quality, high pressure air dryer. You really don't want to blast water all over your freshly cleaned parts.
Vats for acetone baths.
Acetone, and a lot of it. You'll spend a lot more money on Acetone than Cerakote.
A good HVLP gun. Preferably a couple or more of them. This will make me sound like a dick, but it's true. Those that think a harbor freight gun is good enough, have never used a Graco.  Those that think a Graco is top of the line, have never used an Iwata.
The oven. Household ovens are bad.  You want your stuff to be a good distance away from the heating element.
I have probably 300 various shaped hooks, 10 hooks set up with pistol grip screws, a bunch of flashhiders, various pistol mag releases and several other parts I use for hanging and masking because the plugs can't so everything.
The plug kit.
Lots of graduated cylinders and stir sticks.
Lots of filters for Cerakote.
A refer to store the Cerakote. (I keep it on the highest setting, which will keep it down around 55 to 60 degrees in the summer.
A high quality respirator.  Dust masks and even the higher grade particulate masks aren't good enough. Wear an actual respirator.
View Quote

This man knows of what he speaks. Our shop has all of these things. We also recently installed a conveyor oven for some OEM work we do and it's a great thing,
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This man knows of what he speaks. Our shop has all of these things. We also recently installed a conveyor oven for some OEM work we do and it's a great thing,
View Quote

My God that would be awesome.  

My biggest customer is a top 5 vendor for a certain manufacturer. I'm doing a lot for this guy and he's been trying to get the manufacturer to switch to me for awhile. Between him and my other two jobs, I've already stopped taking outside orders. If i do get this other contract, I'll be hitting you up about that oven.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I think a good idea for a sticky thread would be something like "Links to refinishing supplies/deals".
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good point!  I store mine in a refrigerator and have no problems keeping some of the more uncommonly used colors fresh for a long time.  Cerakote indicates a shelf life of a year but I had a bottle that finished as good as new 2 years after I got it.  Of course, I used it on my own stuff and not someone else's'.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm interested as well and would specifically like to see pics of everyone's curing ovens.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I am in the process of ordering things to coat my own guns, but i have a question as well.  As far as a curing oven goes, i was looking at an electric smoker.  Gets up to 275 and has a timer that runs for a full 24 hours.  Would this be a good place to start or do i need to get something else?  Im not looking to do a bunch of weapons, just my personal collection.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread is getting good. Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I read and read and read before I started myself.  I've been using a home oven to knock things out with pretty good success.  I have a 60 Gal 5HP compressor and its slow to catch up sometimes (especially when blasting factory anodizing off of ARs etc).  Watch videos, read and ask questions.  I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it by now and only getting better.  I had my share of mistakes from the start.  I've never done anything like this but now I feel that I've got the hang.  It's not too hard.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Who sells the best value blasting cabinet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top