Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 9:30:30 PM EDT
I have a burnt bronze carbine that the more I look at it the more I dislike it.  Is it even feasible to remove cerakote, or is it an expensive PITA and not worth it?  What is the process, just blasting it?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested in this too. I had Glock 19 done burnt bronze as well. The first time the finish wore through before I got home, he refinished it and applied the clear matte as well. I don't know what he did, it's not matte. And, it's sheen varies along the length of the slide. This guy is also certified by Cerekote. All that said, I think I'm just gonna start over.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It has to be media blasted off, then everything will have to be recoated with something.
View Quote

This is correct.  You'll have to pay for a refinish.  Cerakote should not be wearing through very quickly under normal use.  I have done quite a few in different colors and have had great success with minimal wear.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm interested in this too. I had Glock 19 done burnt bronze as well. The first time the finish wore through before I got home, he refinished it and applied the clear matte as well. I don't know what he did, it's not matte. And, it's sheen varies along the length of the slide. This guy is also certified by Cerekote. All that said, I think I'm just gonna start over.
View Quote

Whoever did this is a hack.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he was Cerakote Certified...

On a side note, I hate Cerakote clear. The matte is never dead flat.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It has to be media blasted off, then everything will have to be recoated with something.
View Quote

What type of media and pressure?  Do I need to prep it before blasting?

My friend has a cabinet that's why I ask.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
aluminum oxide is the media to use at about 20-40 psi. Start off at 20 and go up if needed. do not hover on a spot too long or you will pit it. You can also paint over it f you go thin enough, but I suggest just blasting it and starting over. Keep in mind that this is for metal parts, for polymer you should call CeraCoat and ask them for suggestions on removing from the polymer.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Soak in acetone to degrease. The media will be contaminated with whatever coating is getting blasted off. If you get big chunks you might have to filter the media or just get use to banging the gun when it gets clogged.

I had to run the pressure up to 100psi at times to take off Gunkote and backed up with the gun and used short blasts using 120gr AlOx. Lower pressure wasn't enough. It also depends how well and thick the coating was put on.  

No experience with Ceracote but imagine it would be similar to GunKote removal. Tried everything else to remove it, including soda blast and had to finally use AlOx.

It was on AR Al lowers and didn't want to soften the etching or take of the anodizing. Etching looked fine, anodizing looked like leprosy afterwards.  Not sure what substrate your working with. Maybe I missed it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#10]
At 20-40 psi all you will do is etch it. At 80 psi at a little distance is fine no damage wil be done to the polymer. I had to Cerakote a frame that was hydro dipped and then automotive clear coat, took me two hours to get through the clear alone. Resprayed and it looks new again. Polymer is much tougher than you think! I also used 100 grit aluminum oxide.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cerakote's certification is a joke.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not certified. $1500 for a two day class and a year or more wait list. Not to mention flight, hotel and expenses. Hardly worth it to me for a piece of paper. I can show them some shat!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not certified. $1500 for a two day class and a year or more wait list. Not to mention flight, hotel and expenses. Hardly worth it to me for a piece of paper. I can show them some shat!
View Quote

I was trained by a certified guy that said 95% of the class is the video.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top