Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 9:51:19 AM EDT
I believe I am going to try my 1st rattle can paint job.  I have watched a bunch of videos and read reviews on the various paints.  However, I wanted to get opinions here.  I am looking for a paint this is (1) relatively easy to apply (2) tough and does not scratch easy (3) resistant to cleaners and (4) has a base coat that matches Magpul FDE and Foliage Green.  Here are a few I have been looking at:

Aervoe Camo
Krylon Camo
Rust Oleum Camo
Brownells Aluma-Hyde II

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer Krylon camo with fusion... But rustoleum works good too, I buy whichever is in the store. I can't get the others locally and won't pay to ship, so I don't use anything else
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer Krylon camo with fusion... But rustoleum works good too, I buy whichever is in the store. I can't get the others locally and won't pay to ship, so I don't use anything else
View Quote

Krylon.

Most of ours are painted with Skilcraft...yea, don't know who actually makes the paint, but it's rebranded Skilcraft (National Industries for the Blind) which supplies a lot of the military's office supplies, equipment, etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Krylon and Dupli-Color are probably the top 2 rattle can paints around.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#4]
How easy do you want to be able to get it off if need be?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dont plan on painting it again that often (or ever again).  So as long as it will come off, not concerned if it takes more time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I dont plan on painting it again that often (or ever again).  So as long as it will come off, not concerned if it takes more time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All rattle can comes off. Brake fluid, oven cleaner and Purple Power all will get the job done.

I like Purple Power.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my Aervoe. Love the color selections, love how it goes on. But now it looks like I need to go get some Skillcraft somehow for clone correctness

THANKS OBAMA! (I mean Killer86 Actually, not implying you are anywhere comparable to Obama. Don't take it that way lol)
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not ceracote or dura cote...? Bake in home oven. A 16" upper will fit. Make hangers from wire clothes hanger. Hang from top rack.
My Noveske came out great.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why not ceracote or dura cote...? Bake in home oven. A 16" upper will fit. Make hangers from wire clothes hanger. Hang from top rack.
My Noveske came out great.
View Quote

I am actually going back in forth on this.  I  have few Noveskes myself that I have built over the last two years and am now wanting to either rattle can a few or have a nice cerakote job done on them by a professional. A rattle can job is appealing because if I screw it up, I can always take it off.  If I go cerakote, I will take it to a local professional.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#10]
If your looking for a spray paint that is tough and does not scratch easy and is also resistant to cleaners, spray paint is not what your looking for.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If your looking for a spray paint that is tough and does not scratch easy and is also resistant to cleaners, spray paint is not what your looking for.
View Quote

i disagree. aervoe is pretty damn tough if you:

a) do a solid base coat and allow appropriate time to dry in heat
b) degrease prior to application
c) keep your paws off of it while its drying
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Krylon used to make a camo paint kit.  

OD green, a tan/sand color and darker brown color with a plastic stencil with leaves, twigs, etc. on it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:02:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I like Krylon and Rustoleum ultra flat camo paint.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Used the Hunter Specialties spray paint on my duck gun with a coat of satin clear and it has held up really well for the past 4 years.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Krylon used to make a camo paint kit.  

OD green, a tan/sand color and darker brown color with a plastic stencil with leaves, twigs, etc. on it.
View Quote

No need for stencils unless you want a traditional patterned camo look.  Just stick with vegetation from the AO you'll be in as templates.

I used Majik Desert Tan as the base coat for my rifle.  It's held up pretty well.  I used other shades from them as well as Rustoleum.  If it starts to look bad I just hit it with another go round of paint.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Aervoeis the best of the bunch
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I used the Rustoleum camo it's held up great and been on the 870 for months now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top