Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2014 10:16:01 PM EDT
I had an old work AR15 upper that I had sprayed and sprayed. I put a bunch of carb cleaner on the and hit it with a wire brush and it took off enough to spray it one more time.

My next project  isn't going as well. I have an old Mossberg shotgun the has some serious paint on it.   It just won't come off.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you know what type of paint it is?  If it is an enamel then you will need something more specific to the job than carb cleaner.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:34:07 AM EDT
[#2]
old paint seems to be hard for me to take off with carb cleaner. For metal parts, I usually just let it sit in a tank of acetone for awhile. The paint will eventually lift off the surface.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
No idea on the paint, maybe marine paint. My buddy knows I like dirty so he gave me his Pop's old clunker.   It's not pretty, but only needs a safety repaired and to get that nasty paint off of it.   I am gonna try sone acetone, and will let you know.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
aircraft remover, just keep it off plastic or yourself
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Citristrip Pick it up at your local home improvement store. I used it to remove the paint off an original colt 601 handguard, and if it'll take that off, it'll remove what you've got.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top