Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2014 6:13:34 AM EDT
I have access to two BIG bottles of Cerakote--but the color sucks (lol).

Has anybody tinted Cerakote with commonly available tints--and if so, what did you use?

I'm looking to turn Titanium Blue into something greener/blacker/browner or greyer.

Yes--I called Cerakote, they would not say what they tinted with, and they just wanted me to buy more Cerakote and mix it in.  

Fair enough--that's how they make their money.

Anybody got a workaround?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldnt mess with the formula... it is very durable as is, I would bet that this would be adversely affected as sensitive as cerakote is to trace contamination of  application surface
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:33:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking raw tints--in a dry, powdered form (or whatever)--as opposed to a tint in some sort of an an oil-based carrier (like Brownells uses for Acraglas, or paint stores use).

I mean--they are able to tint the shit, right?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#3]
You can mix cerakote colors with each other but I wouldn't try mixing any other materials with it. Cerakote does have a year shelf life but if kept in a fridge it lasts longer.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:53:52 AM EDT
[#4]
You would save yourself a lot of time and trouble to just buy a tester of a color of Cerakote in the direction you want to go instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.
You will also run into issues with there being more pigment to binder ration and will make the paint thicker, which is not a good thing with Cerakote.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would save yourself a lot of time and trouble to just buy a tester of a color of Cerakote in the direction you want to go instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.
You will also run into issues with there being more pigment to binder ration and will make the paint thicker, which is not a good thing with Cerakote.
View Quote

OK--thank you all for the input.  I'll see what I can do mixing with stock Cerakote colors.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:42:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can mix cerakote colors with each other but I wouldn't try mixing any other materials with it. Cerakote does have a year shelf life but if kept in a fridge it lasts longer.

Mike
View Quote

I was just told specifically by Brian at CERAKOTE today that this fridge thing is a rumor they are trying to stop.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:29:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Per the original query--a guy I know has 2 quarts of overstock of Titanium Blue.

I picked up some dry pigment, and we're going to try adding yellow pigment to shift the blue to a green spectrum, shoot it on scrap metal, and just see what happens.

Hey, why not?

We're going to go with less hardener (flatter finish) to offset any thickeneing the extra pigment might add to the Cerakote.

This powdered pigment is specifically made for epoxies:  Powdered pigments...

The stuff I got was sourced from an artist's supply house.

I'll update with results.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't' go with less hardener. The ratios are already so small that it won't make any noticeable, or beneficial difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top