Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2012 8:17:09 AM EDT
anyone have any ideas how to remove the coating.  I have read a lot of post where the answer is to scuff and repaint.  not sure i want to do that.  i want to remove all together.  

thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Aircraft stripper will remove the hydrgraphics along with the base coat and if the dipping was done properly the gun would have been sandblasted which would require you to refinish it at that point since it will be bare metal.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen acetone remove some on a test area once upon a time ago.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#3]
just rubbing the acetone or by soaking?

thanks
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
just rubbing the acetone or by soaking?

thanks

We put some on a clean shop rag and wiped it off; not immediately, I suppose if the dipped piece was saturated more, it may have gone quicker.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Media blast with 120 grit aluminum oxide and Cerakote that sucker.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#6]
i dont want to blast it.  the stock and forearm and grip have been coated.  i would like to preserve all of that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:47:59 AM EDT
[#7]
UPDATE

Just soaked the grip in acetone for a few mins.  Yes acetone works.  the film peeled off without hurting the plastic of the grip.

thanks to all who replied.

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#8]
if u dont have enough acetone to submerg ur part completely in, you can seal it up in a container with the acetone and the vapors will do the job too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top