Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2009 8:56:43 PM EDT
I had seen a bunch of people ask about refinishing their SBR engravings.  I recently did one and here is the very simple process to refinish it.  I used Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black.  Clean up the receiver to remove any oils, I used non-chlorinated carb cleaner.  Use a Q-Tip to apply the Aluminum black.  Do not redip the Q-Tip as it will contaminate the Aluminum Black and cause it to be less effective.  Apply it to the raw aluminum and let it sit for a minute.  Rinse with cold water.  I than blast it again with the carb cleaner to remove the water.  Reapply the Aluminum black.  You may need to do it 3 or 4 times.  I did it twice and see 2 specs that I need to do again.

The engraving was done by Quentin Laser in Gilbert, AZ.  It cost me around $50.  Jason was great to work with and did all the work right in front of me.  Check out their website for more info:

Quentin Laser

Fresh engraving w/ raw aluminum

Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black

Applying w/ Q-Tip.  Check out the M-1 Thumb.

Finished product.  There are 2 specs that I need to redo.  I did two applications.  I think a third would do it.

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
This was timely.  Thanks a bunch. I just had my lower engraved and was on the fence on what to do.  I was looking into that Birchwood Casey Bluing Pen but your approach seems way better.  Aside from Midway or Brownells, where did you get it?  Local chain?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
 Aside from Midway or Brownells, where did you get it?  Local chain?  Thanks.

Check Wal-Mart

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Aside from Midway or Brownells, where did you get it?  Local chain?  Thanks.

Check Wal-Mart

Went today to my local one - they had squat.  Thanks will try other places.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, I have only seen it for sale in gun stores.  I think I remember seeing it in Sportsman's Warehouse and perhaps Cabela's.  You could probably get it from Midway or Brownells if you needed to mail order it.  The aluminum black also works as a bluing/blackening agent on regular steel as well.  In fact, it seems to work better then cold bluing or a bluing pen.  Where I need to cold blue a steel peice 2 or 3 times, the aluminum black does it in 1 or 2 applications.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:32:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Im glad i found this. Im heading out in the morning to see if i can find this stuff. I was going to use Testers model paint but this looks much nicer and cleaner. i also have a KAC rail that looks like shit
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought some of this at sportmsmans warehouse, then went over to wallyworld and they didn't have any.

When i first tried this out it seemed to take a while before it started working. Some of the letters weren't completely fille in so i figured it was from not getting all the oils out. I might have redone this 10-15 times, before i finally got it to look nice. I would spray off with break cleaner and ally the AL Black and them rinse off with water, then break cleaner it. Every combination in between. At one point i had what looked like orange rust forming. I got an older toothbrush and scrubbed it down with break cleaner and got all the crap out of it, and re applied it, wiped it off and then hit it with gun oil. i made it out to be way more then it should, and now i have a damn headache, but it looks sweet. If i can find my camera i'll post some pics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top