Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 8:46:56 PM EDT
So the reactionist in me wants to immediately cry junk. But I'm trying to be more positive. The size, imo, is the only thing these have going for them and in the end it doesn't matter as even with them I cant fit my Surefire hln on my rail.

The first issue, which I can live without even though it makes it a tad hard to sweep the muffs back, is these don't pop in and out like the 3M version and even the $17 knockoffs from Amazon. Annoying, but I can live without it.

The main problem is the "legs" of these. First, they are perfectly round at the end. There is no flat spots to keep the muffs from coming off if you pull them too far. And the second problem is they are short (at least it seems to me )which means you'll pull them down to adjust them and they come off due to not having the flat spots to stop them.

It's baffling why those were not put on there. Here are some pics. I'm debating on sending theses back. I definitely would but I'm just so damn busy.

Knock offs from Amazon

Unity MARK.  Not a good look when a knock off has a better feature set than your product

Also notice how much longer the knock off legs are. Keep in mind it says on their site that these are compatible with Howard Leights so it's not like I'm trying to rig this.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, the MARKs are on the way back. I just couldn't make them work.

Got the real 3M adapters today and wow what a difference. And I take back what I said about being able to live without the pop in and out feature. It's a must have.

Plus the legs on the 3M are longer and they do have the flat spot on the end to help against pulling the muffs off.

And I still got my stuff on my rail, just like the smaller MARKs let me.

Imo if the marks had longer legs and the stop feature and the pop out feature they'd be good and maybe worth the $20 more. But now?  Not even close to the 3M's. I'd put back the knock offs  rather than the MARK as it stands now.

I'm pretty happy. I'd like to try some Comtac iii's before I spend $300 on them because these HL's aren't too bad.

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I am sorry to hear you were not happy with the MARKs. I will try to answer some of your questions / concerns

1. They do not click out. This was done on purpose. A lot of professional users were unhappy about the their headset clicking out on its own, during more dynamic movement, etc. If you want to pull the ear-cup off your ear, we just pull it out and rest the back edge of the ear-cup on the helmet.
2. There is not a swaged flat on the end of the wires. This was also on purpose. They would not fit into the SARA's with that flat area and Sordins account for a vast majority of installations. You can add a slight bend to the end of the wire to add tension
3. The wires are not long enough... We offer longer wires and would have been happy to swap them.
4. Cannot mount a light with them. We offer the REMORA mount specifically for this. You can mount scout lights, tubular lights, PrincetonTec MPLS, etc

Hopefully that answers some of the questions you had.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I got a set of MARKs the other day as well, specifically to use with the REMORA. I am also conflicted about them. I understand that to make them so low-profile they can't really have a "click-out"/stowing mode for ear-pro, so I knew I would have to sort of deal with that. What I didn't expect was being almost entirely unable to stow my ear-pro at all. Swinging my muffs back over the helmet is so difficult that it feels like I'm going to break them. It does look like there is a channel in the MARK for the steel wires to pass over to allow for a stow-mode, but it still makes me uncomfortable to do it. So for now I'm stuck donning my helmet and ear-pro simultaneously at all times. Which kind of sucks, sometimes I don't want or need to wear muffs.

I also agree with the you on the wires, they are very short. I've already had one of my muffs pop off a few times unexpectedly. The small size of the MARK requires me to wear my Peltors much further down on the wire than before, so I feel this might be a constant issue. The MARK itself mounts much more sturdily to the ARC rail, thats for sure. But it doesn't really make up for the short wires and difficulty with stowing my headset. The REMORA is brilliant, and works wonderfully, but I'm not sure if it's worth the shortcomings of the MARK to save precious rail space.

@goteron, where do you offer longer wires? That would certainly help with my muffs popping off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest adjusting the tension on the wireforms. To do this, sit your helmet on its side, put your hand flat agaisnt the MARK with the edge of your hand about 1" down the wires exiting the MARK. Then pull the ear cup toward you and flex the wires. You can do this slowly adjusting each side until its comfortable.

We use music wire for the wireforms so they can be adjusted.

For the longer wires, go on our site and send a message to the contact page. Someone will help you out.

Thanks!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got a set of MARKs the other day as well, specifically to use with the REMORA. I am also conflicted about them. I understand that to make them so low-profile they can't really have a "click-out"/stowing mode for ear-pro, so I knew I would have to sort of deal with that. What I didn't expect was being almost entirely unable to stow my ear-pro at all. Swinging my muffs back over the helmet is so difficult that it feels like I'm going to break them. It does look like there is a channel in the MARK for the steel wires to pass over to allow for a stow-mode, but it still makes me uncomfortable to do it. So for now I'm stuck donning my helmet and ear-pro simultaneously at all times. Which kind of sucks, sometimes I don't want or need to wear muffs.

I also agree with the you on the wires, they are very short. I've already had one of my muffs pop off a few times unexpectedly. The small size of the MARK requires me to wear my Peltors much further down on the wire than before, so I feel this might be a constant issue. The MARK itself mounts much more sturdily to the ARC rail, thats for sure. But it doesn't really make up for the short wires and difficulty with stowing my headset. The REMORA is brilliant, and works wonderfully, but I'm not sure if it's worth the shortcomings of the MARK to save precious rail space.

@goteron, where do you offer longer wires? That would certainly help with my muffs popping off.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes I know what you're saying. I was nervous about stowing the muffs and when I did the gel was completely squashed flat and I was worried that would ruin them over time.

I appreciate the help we are getting here but it's too late. I sent them back and I'm real happy with the regular old 3M's. I think with some adjustments the MARK system could work but like I said. It's 3M for me.

They are definitely small and look good though. They are on the right path I think.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Dude you are right on with these replies! I love the shit out of them over any other on the market. They seal better than any I have used and in the end this is what I was most concerned about. Yep they work great with SARAs!

I have no less than 3 lights on my lid with no issues.

I could not say more about unity and the MARK!

Quoted:
I am sorry to hear you were not happy with the MARKs. I will try to answer some of your questions / concerns

1. They do not click out. This was done on purpose. A lot of professional users were unhappy about the their headset clicking out on its own, during more dynamic movement, etc. If you want to pull the ear-cup off your ear, we just pull it out and rest the back edge of the ear-cup on the helmet.
2. There is not a swaged flat on the end of the wires. This was also on purpose. They would not fit into the SARA's with that flat area and Sordins account for a vast majority of installations. You can add a slight bend to the end of the wire to add tension
3. The wires are not long enough... We offer longer wires and would have been happy to swap them.
4. Cannot mount a light with them. We offer the REMORA mount specifically for this. You can mount scout lights, tubular lights, PrincetonTec MPLS, etc

Hopefully that answers some of the questions you had.

Thanks
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:35:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Understand and we are happy you found something that works for you. We appreciate the feedback and will take a look at those points in future revisions.

Quoted:

Yes I know what you're saying. I was nervous about stowing the muffs and when I did the gel was completely squashed flat and I was worried that would ruin them over time.

I appreciate the help we are getting here but it's too late. I sent them back and I'm real happy with the regular old 3M's. I think with some adjustments the MARK system could work but like I said. It's 3M for me.

They are definitely small and look good though. They are on the right path I think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Shooters101 - Thanks for the kind words! Great looking lid.

Dude you are right on with these replies! I love the shit out of them over any other on the market. They seal better than any I have used and in the end this is what I was most concerned about. Yep they work great with SARAs!

I have no less than 3 lights on my lid with no issues.

I could not say more about unity and the MARK!
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#8]
It took me a little bit to get used to the non-popping out, but now that I'm used to it I really don't even notice it.  They are stiff and they seal 100% better than the 3M versions on my head.  I have 2 sets, 1 on a TW and 1 on an OpsCore Bump.  The only real complaint I have with them is on the OpsCore.  There isn't a little tab to click into the OpsCore rails, so in transport in a helmet bag they tend to slide off of the rail, even when the EarPro is in the stowed position.  Not THAT big of a deal, takes 2 seconds to slide back on, but it is something I notice. 

Being able to have a scout light with the Remora is absolutely awesome.  That is the biggest reason I went with the MARK's and personally, I am glad I did. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top