Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2017 1:48:43 PM EDT
I've been saving for a Thermal and sort of waiting for the Flir to release their boson core in 640.  Kinda getting tired of the wait and the ridiculous prices for therm.  Any of y'all have any decent success with using a Laser/NV with a PVS14 as compared to thermal.  I already have an L3 White Phos I love.  Any what's y'alls take on a class III milspec vs civilian model.  Does the class III make a significant difference or worth the cost difference?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've been saving for a Thermal and sort of waiting for the Flir to release their boson core in 640.  Kinda getting tired of the wait and the ridiculous prices for therm.  Any of y'all have any decent success with using a Laser/NV with a PVS14 as compared to thermal.  I already have an L3 White Phos I love.  Any what's y'alls take on a class III milspec vs civilian model.  Does the class III make a significant difference or worth the cost difference?
View Quote

If you get a MAWL or dbal d2 there is no real reason to take a chance with a non civi ir laser.

The only thing that will be stronger is the actual ir laser which you really don't even want because it'll bloom badly at closer distances. And you won't really be shooting at the distances it doesn't. The illuminators on the MAWL and d2 are just as good as let's say a peq15.

I just don't see any real convincing reason to get something non civilian like a peq15. Unless you're a weirdo clone whore Now before the d2 and the MAWL? Sure. But not with those available.

I'd snag one of those and really get the most out of your 14 and then you can move into thermal. They really work well in conjunction with each other.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a $399 OTAL IR and it won't really have a major effect on your Thermal fund.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Different strokes and all that.  

I think $1300 for an ATPIAL-C is a fucking waste for someone who hunts pigs.  I sold mine in almost no time because it provided incredibly meager utility per dollar.  Bought a $99 Crimson Trace IR laser that's low-pro and sits on the end of my rail.  Shoots 100 yards no problem.  

Thermal is where it's at.  You don't need 640.  384 will get it done, no questions asked, especially if you already have WP NVG.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't seem to find a Crimson Trace IR.  Seems they don't make em anymore.  Nah, I'm not a clone whore per/se but having the real deal kinda would be cool on my Registered M16.  thanks for the input guys
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#6]
$399. Built by a reputable company, sold by a reputable company.
https://tnvc.com/shop/ldi-otal-class-1-ir-laser/
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't seem to find a Crimson Trace IR.  Seems they don't make em anymore.  Nah, I'm not a clone whore per/se but having the real deal kinda would be cool on my Registered M16.  thanks for the input guys
View Quote
Think a guy is selling one in EE. I had a lasermax uni IR. It was fine unless you're going to war.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I think first you might need to see if it's legal to hunt with artificial light (laser) in your state. It's not here in Iowa!  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
They seem to have been discontinued, Crimson trace has a knack for not making what people want. I wonder if they would make small batches of them if someone asked nicely?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#10]
You need a laser to get the most out of your NODs. The main reason I'd want a class III LAM is because of the higher output IR laser Illuminator. If a slightly visible red glow of a LED illuminator doesn't make a difference than a D2 is probably best for the money for a long reach IR illuminator, but if you have 2,500 burning a hole in your pocket the MAWL is the latest and greatest. Sadly the illuminator of the A3, I2 IR/IR, and the ATPIAL-C are very anemic in comparison, although in a CQB environment they do quite well and are easily supplemented by a SureFire Vampire out to 150 yards. Possibly the best bang for your buck is the OTAL-C IR with a Vampire or even a SureFire X400V-B-IR. The X400V also has a better IR Illuminator than the I2, A3 or ATPIAL-C and with it's ability to also have a 350 lumen white light available with the twist of the bezel deserves a closer look.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top