Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2017 9:17:45 PM EDT
Seems thermal is more of a game changer than night vision? If you had to choose between thermal OR NV - which one would you choose?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If money was not an object thermal all day long. If money was a concern low end thermal or higher end NV.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Incomplete question...what is the Mission? Personally, I find Gen 3 NV to be much more useful than thermal for anything other than pure detection. Try taking a hike in the woods or driving with thermal. I should say that the only thermal I've really spent any time with was an Eotech x320 and I wasn't overly impressed much of the time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#4]
For me night vision.  Why?  I like to be able to navigate at night with it head mounted, and overall when I am out camping or hiking I will get way more use out of night vision.

Now if I was hunting or was strictly for spotting or keeping watch over my property, the choice might change....but for my use, night vision wins.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Furthest range I've been able to see anything with my thermals is only 93 million miles away, with my NVOs I can see millions of light years away.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
As already mentioned it's mission specific.

Hunting?  Thermal

Most things else?  NV

Of course, in the future I feel thermal will become the only solution as the tech gets way better. WAY better. Better resolution and everything else. Not to mention cheaper. There will be digital overlays. Tons of stuff.

Not to say i2 isn't progressing. See the L3 filmless. But you're talking digital vs analog.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Because I have night vision I would get thermal. So the real answer is get both. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:13:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Tag, was thinking the same thing. What to choose.  NV just seems a lot more expensive.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:45:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I own the best of both technologies that is available to civilians and would take NV no question.  That being said, if I was hunting all the time then thermal would be my choice.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag, was thinking the same thing. What to choose.  NV just seems a lot more expensive.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
You need to check again.

Either that, or I have a PVS-14 I'll sell you for $12,000.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You need to check again.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need to check again.

i have a rare MUM14 I'll let him have for $9,995
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Seems thermal is more of a game changer than night vision? If you had to choose between thermal OR NV - which one would you choose?
View Quote

Dude really? I've followed your threads all over ARF and they are literally the world's most basic questions.  I bet your kitchen drawer has nothing but spoons in it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#14]
SPNI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top