Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2017 2:46:15 AM EDT
I'm talking about real rain and wind getting on the objective end. Sacrificial shield or Wilson screw in lens.
I use my PVS-14 in driving rain sometimes, and even though the unit holds up well, it really screws up how well you can see, just like it would with binoculars. Has anybody else had this problem? It rains over 100" a year here, so it can't be avoided.
Does anybody have any tricks, or are there any rain/sun shields like they have on rifle scopes? I'm thinking about making something out of piece of plastic pipe that would stick out about an inch or inch and a half to keep drops off the lens. I was wondering if anyone has found a good fix already?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used mine in Hurricane Matthew, so I feel qualified to speak on this subject.

I put cat crap on the lenses. It prevents fogging and the rain beads off. Here the fogging is the real issue. You are inside a vehicle at 70* without humidity and step outside into the rain where it's 85* and 100% humidity. The lenses sweat instantly. Cat crap helps.

I don't worry about the unit itself - it's submersible to 66' so rain doesn't bug it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah in your case, besides a good lens coating agent, I would look at some kind of "sun shield" although in this case I guess it's a "rain shield".  I would imagine there are some camera accessories that would work here.  I say this because although there are dedicated "sun shields" made for weapons sights, they are more expensive and probably harder to find in the right dia.  So taking a page from SOT's playbook, I'd look at what's available from camera accessory guys.  Ideally something in 30mm that would screw right into the obj lens, or at least something that would slip over it.  

Thinking in terms of field expedients, Marine Scout/Snipers used toilet paper tubes, duct-taped to the scopes to reduce glint.  The same technique would apply to rainy conditions.  Finding a light, water-proof material to fabricate a field expedient "rain shade".  Light gage plastic tubing comes to mind.  Maybe in conjunction with a rubber tube as an interface or adapter.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe if you could find some broken 3x magnifiers that thread into the end of your objective. Not sure how much work it would be to gut all of the internals and just leave the shell. May not work at all, but just and idea.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used mine in Hurricane Matthew, so I feel qualified to speak on this subject.

I put cat crap on the lenses. It prevents fogging and the rain beads off. Here the fogging is the real issue. You are inside a vehicle at 70* without humidity and step outside into the rain where it's 85* and 100% humidity. The lenses sweat instantly. Cat crap helps.

I don't worry about the unit itself - it's submersible to 66' so rain doesn't bug it.
View Quote
I've hunted in two hurricanes and one tropical storm. I use my 720nm IR filter over the objective with Rain-X on it and Rain-X on the ocular too. I've also driven through innumerable thunderstorms on my motorcycles using Rain-X on my face shield as well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've hunted in two hurricanes and one tropical storm. I use my 720nm IR filter over the objective with Rain-X on it and Rain-X on the ocular too. I've also driven through innumerable thunderstorms on my motorcycles using Rain-X on my face shield as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rain-X or Cat Shit are a must have for sure, and I use Rain-X, and it helps, especially if there is wind or if I'm driving my ATV. But when I'm hunkered down sitting still, waiting and watching, the drops pile up on my lens giving me a distorted view.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:43:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I put cat crap on the lenses. It prevents fogging and the rain beads off.
Here the fogging is the real issue. You are inside a vehicle at 70*
without humidity and step outside into the rain where it's 85* and 100%
humidity. The lenses sweat instantly. Cat crap helps.

View Quote
Surely you are talking about Cat litter yes? I am dubious about the effects of feline fecal matter inside my PVS-14. How did you put the litter in there? In between a sacrificial window and the lenses or inside the unit itself?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Brand name for an anti-fog lens treatment

https://www.amazon.com/EK-10003C-Cat-Crap/dp/B002ZNA488
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:03:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Surely you are talking about Cat litter yes? I am dubious about the effects of feline fecal matter inside my PVS-14. How did you put the litter in there? In between a sacrificial window and the lenses or inside the unit itself?
View Quote
I hope they are talking about Cat Crap
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Somewhat off topic - I ride my bike regularly in the rain (not by choice but sometimes in FL you just get caught) is rain x safe for a plastic helmet visor? That would certainly help.

My biggest issue with shooting at night in the rain, because I don't have thermal yet, is the rain on my optics (think RMR on a pistol) or the humidity making the IR illumination into a big green smoke blob after the first shot is fired. Neither of these are big deals if I am hunting since you only shoot once or twice.

I rarely have an issue with the PVS14 itself if cat crap is applied.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Rain-X on plastic polycarbonate face shields is fine, it in no way degrades the plastic. It simply is a mixture of long chain free fatty acids with a methyl group on one end and a weak carboxylic acid on the other that form a thin film over the face shield plastic.

Free fatty acids act a a strong water repellant/surfactant as the H2O molecules have no hydrogen bonding or electrostatic attraction to them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#11]
When in doubt, PVS18's out.

PVS14's are only submersible to 3' for 30 mins, only some are rated to 66' but I wouldn't test them haha.

If its ever raining i use the 18's and keep the anvis packed away.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top