Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2017 4:26:56 PM EDT
Can anyone confirm whether or not the IC Dual PVS-14 Light Weight Mounting System will work with the AB NightVision Mod-3Bs when in their monocular configuration? Lipstick6 has given me the go ahead to upgrade to a set of duals and I want to get something I won't have to upgrade, so Mod-3Bs in WP it is. I love the modularity of the Mod-3Bs and would like to be able to have even more with the "swing back" capability the IC Dual Mount offers. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can anyone confirm whether or not the IC Dual PVS-14 Light Weight Mounting System will work with the AB NightVision Mod-3Bs when in their monocular configuration? Lipstick6 has given me the go ahead to upgrade to a set of duals and I want to get something I won't have to upgrade, so Mod-3Bs in WP it is. I love the modularity of the Mod-3Bs and would like to be able to have even more with the "swing back" capability the IC Dual Mount offers. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
View Quote

I have no idea if it would work, though I suspect it probably would, though you may have some ugly gaps here and there...

But I would consider some of the factors of this plan a little longer before going through with it...

Using the IC bridge (if compatible), would allow you to swivel the monocular pods out of the way, yes, but in exchange, you'll not only add a lot of unnecessary weight by maintaining the two independent power supplies and switching assemblies (the monocular adapters), meaning two batteries, and all their hardware, but you'll also now have to turn both monoculars on and off separately, and your goggles will no longer be properly collimated, because you can't really do that with bridged monoculars.

Considering that for most, the independently swiveling pods are more of a novelty than of any practical benefit, and the fact that you not only need to adjust your IPD each time you try to move the pods back into position, but many swiveling goggle designs are prone to "drooping" after a while--it seems like you're just going to end up spending an extra $350 on a component that will actually make the MOD-3bs worse, just to get one feature that is of dubious utility.

If you've got your heart set on swiveling goggles, it may be a better bet to look at the new DTNVGs or the older BNVDs, rather than trying to "kitbash" the MOD-3s to swivel.

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have my heart set on a swivel goggle, just looking for more information before I take the plunge on a set of duals. Augee, I can't tell you how many times I've read your review of the Mod-3s and appreciate the info here. Have you used the ANVIS mount for the Mod-3s? I really like the ability to have a remote battery and not just a useless counter weight. Haven't heard anything on this other than what's on AB's website.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the main difference between the IC lightweight and their standard one? I emailed them a while back and never heard back.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the main difference between the IC lightweight and their standard one? I emailed them a while back and never heard back.
View Quote
The difference is that the lightweight version does not have the quick detach dovetail on each monocular from the main bridge.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wouldn't recommend that configuration.
View Quote
Sam, do you not for the same reasons Augee mentioned? I am in no way set on this configuration. Just wanted to see what info was out there.

Also, do you guys carry the ANVIS mount adapter for the Mod-3 bridge?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wouldn't recommend that configuration.
View Quote
Curious why not
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The difference is that the lightweight version does not have the quick detach dovetail on each monocular from the main bridge.
View Quote
Thanks thats what i thought, but it looked like it still had the dovetails.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't have my heart set on a swivel goggle, just looking for more information before I take the plunge on a set of duals. Augee, I can't tell you how many times I've read your review of the Mod-3s and appreciate the info here. Have you used the ANVIS mount for the Mod-3s? I really like the ability to have a remote battery and not just a useless counter weight. Haven't heard anything on this other than what's on AB's website.
View Quote
Different people will have different opinions, but I've come to appreciate the simplicity of "bridge"-format goggles as opposed to swivel goggles, though, let's be honest, it's not like I'd turn my nose up at a pair of PVS-31s.

I have not used the ANVIS bridge for the MOD-3s, I'm kind of conflicted as to whether I want to bother getting them, especially since it would require me to upgrade my entire bridge to the new version, which is not free (if you've read my review, you know the bridge I have was one of the very first commercially available ones, and I had to do the first upgrade myself to be compatible with Wilcox mounts, and mine doesn't even have a serial number ).

I haven't had any hands-on time with the MOD-3B ANVIS mount, but the whole assembly looks way more complicated than it needs to be, and it seems to add a good bit to the already tall height MOD-3s--this all kind of defeats, for me, what makes the ANVIS mount attractive--the simplicity of use/adjustments, and low stowed profile. While I do also like the remote battery pack, that in and of itself would not be enough to make me prefer ANVIS-format mounts without those other advantages, especially considering that good, ground-hardened ANVIS mounts are generally more expensive, and arguably more delicate than dovetail mounts, especially once you factor in an LPBP. USGI aviation-style mounts are, obviously cheaper, but significantly more delicate than ground mounts.  

If you want an ANVIS-format ground-goggle, I would recommend simply going with Sentinels.

If you want a modular goggle, I'd go with the MOD-3s.

If you want a swivel goggle, I'd look hard at the DTNVG, though the BNVD is a known quantity as well.

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Augee,

All of that is exactly what I needed to hear. I've been trying to weigh the pros and one of each of these system and I haven't been able to pick the best option for me. Though I like the remote battery pack and everything that come with the ANVIS adapter for the Mod-3s, the increased price is hard to justify when the system already works the way it is. Looks like I'll just be keeping it simple with a set of WP Mod-3s. Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I can vouch for the DTNVG, but have to agree with Augee that the swiveling sides is not a big deal. It has it's positives and negatives. Main positive for me is that I can flip the sides up and know the tubes are powered off. That also happens automatically when you flip the goggle to the stowed position, but it reactivates when you either intentionally flip them back down or unintentionally move your head to a position where the goggles are close to being horizontal. When the sides are turned up they stay powered down no matter what. The main negative is not the IPD adjustment after flip down, that you get used to quite quick, but at least with the version that uses PVS-14 objective lenses the sides sometimes tend to swivel when adjusting focus. The Anvis lensed version doesn't have this issue as the focus adjustment is very smooth.

The issue of them developing wear and getting droopy can be fixed, the washers can be changed and the hinges re-tightened. Not by the user, but from whoever you purchase it from.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:26:11 AM EDT
[#12]
The only plus I see to swiveling bino's other than the dubiously lower stow height, is the ability to still have one tube down to navigate as needed while you are scanning with a thermal monocular and not need to either push up your fixed binos while you cram it underneath(it sucks, I know) or swivel the entire unit up just to scan.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:41:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow. Never knew that mount existed. And at $349 it a bit of a bargain compared to others. Off to buy it.

Thanks. :)

I understand they aren't super favorable with a lot if you but I need the modularity and I'm done dropping money on this stuff. If I do spend a good chunk of change anytime soon on my current setup it'll be selling my greenbgubes to snag some WP's. At first I didn't like them but the more I look the more I love them.

Curious what a normal L3 filmless WP tube goes for. Maybe I can pull it off after selling my current ITT thin filmed Omni 7 tubes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#14]
The IC Dual PVS-14 Light Weight Mounting System is $349. The last MOD3 Bridge I bought was $630 for the newer style. You might be able to find a vendor with old stock for less or even AB directly. I don't think the IC Dual bridge is the best solution for this problem, either. I would sell the MOD3 pods and adapters and then just run dual pitbulls if that is the route you want to go because why have all the extra moving parts of the MOD3 monocular adapters if you don't need them? The beauty of the MOD3 is modularity, but if you don't need it, there are better solutions.

I also can't endorse the MOD3 anvis solution. Like Augee said - it adds a ton of height. I won't even rock the Anvis mount on my Sentinels because of the height it adds.

Quoted:
Curious what a normal L3 filmless WP tube goes for. Maybe I can pull it off after selling my current ITT thin filmed Omni 7 tubes.
View Quote
I would save up ~$3,000.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The IC Dual PVS-14 Light Weight Mounting System is $349. The last MOD3 Bridge I bought was $630 for the newer style. You might be able to find a vendor with old stock for less or even AB directly. I don't think the IC Dual bridge is the best solution for this problem, either. I would sell the MOD3 pods and adapters and then just run dual pitbulls if that is the route you want to go because why have all the extra moving parts of the MOD3 monocular adapters if you don't need them? The beauty of the MOD3 is modularity, but if you don't need it, there are better solutions.

I also can't endorse the MOD3 anvis solution. Like Augee said - it adds a ton of height. I won't even rock the Anvis mount on my Sentinels because of the height it adds.

I would save up ~$3,000.
View Quote
3 grand huh......That's actually not bad. Well, it's bad but you know what I mean lol. Maybe I'll toss my tubes up for sale.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:02:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not just run MOD3Bravo on its bridge, you looking for folder attributes ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top