Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 3:05:52 AM EDT
I just recently received 2 PVS-18s from CRANE. I have no info on the tubes and do understand the 18s early on were made with gen II tubes. 

I was recently out and about with them and notice that the street lights were making burn marks, but the marks would eventual dissipate and be gone. Can anyone explain? I have ample time under NODs and have never seen this.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:58:22 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know ITT Gen3 from around 2000-2010 do this. Seen many tubes do this and there's plenty of NV footage from Iraq with the exact behavior.

Edit: can I explain, no But I have noticed that it can happen on the whole screen or large parts of it. As an example, moonlit snow covering half of the view, thick woods the rest, and when raising your head the bottom part stays darker for a while.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Microchannel plate over saturation, sorta like if you stare at the sun for a sec.then close your eyes and see a spot
View Quote
Ah yes, that makes sense. Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]
They were made with a wide variety of tubes over time Gen2/3 both in the 90's. And yeah, as everyone else said saturation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top