Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn you!!!!!!  I dont need one...but now I don't know if I can resist.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll be happier if you resist ...
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
It is the Russian gen 1 of thermals, but at that price I won't worry much about using it as a loaner.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is the Russian gen 1 of thermals, but at that price I won't worry much about using it as a loaner.  
View Quote
Anyone you loan it to isn't likely to view it as you doing them a favor.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ya I was thinking for a loaner.  Prob not a lot of use past 100 yes though
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ya I was thinking for a loaner.  Prob not a lot of use past 100 yes though
View Quote
You won't find it useful past 50 yards is the problem. Leupold has dramatically oversold this unit's capabilities.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
After using one a couple weeks ago I was really really disappointed. The shop was having issues with a new in the box unit booting up too. Good design, very poor execution.

Seek XR is much more capable unit for a lot less money.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
we initially were quite curious before its launch, we did some initial testing of the unit in Utah with Kyle Lamb, even Kyle will tell you he wants a Trijicon EO unit. The LTO, as mentioned before is like a Russian Gen 1 thermal.
View Quote
wait, you're saying that someone would rather have a $8000 thermal than a $400 thermal?  Unless I missed Trijicon's sub-1k thermal optic, I don't see how this is even a relevant comparison. No one in the market for a Leupold LTO would choose it over a better, more expensive optic if they had the funds to consider those. The LTO is specifically targeted at people who want thermal but have closer to $500 to spend instead of $5000.

I tried one out. It had a much more limited range than other thermals I've owned, all of which have been Pulsar HD/XD A/S units, (also less desirable than significantly more expensive units, but once again...budgets, etc)... and I found that within - as has been stated here already - about 50 yards, it worked just fine as a thermal. Russian Gen1 NV doesn't even really work as night vision without significant secondary illumination, it's not just like a lower-resolution PVS14 with severely limited range. 

It would be a much more apt comparison to FLIR's Scout TK, since that is a product with much closer capabilities to the LTO than a multi-thousand dollar IRD 640 unit. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You won't find it useful past 50 yards is the problem. Leupold has dramatically oversold this unit's capabilities.
View Quote
Gee a 160 class core with dogshit optics? The hell you say...

I have a MX1 that can almost vote with a 160 core and good optics and its maybe good to 100 yds on people sized tgts.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
we initially were quite curious before its launch, we did some initial testing of the unit in Utah with Kyle Lamb, even Kyle will tell you he wants a Trijicon EO unit. The LTO, as mentioned before is like a Russian Gen 1 thermal.
View Quote
Is this refering to the "fine" quality (yes thats sarcasm), of russian gen1 NV or is there actually such a thing as russian gen1 thermals (I thought they just bought/ripped off stuff from the french and others)?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Leopold quality is not represented in the LTO, even a FLIR PS-24 or SIG ECHO is better than that. It is cheap for a reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top