Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2017 12:44:44 PM EDT
I want to know if you the owner of a Dbal has failed. Im not interested in your cousins unlces nephews room mates best friends dbal but actual owners. Please note the type of faiIure the model and year. Im considering buying a Dbal 9007 IR/IR and a ATPIAl. Im aware how awesome the ATPIAl is and im already leaning in that direction. I should note I already have a D2 and a OTAL-C IR both have been great so far but I dont have a lot of hard use on either as of yet. Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Currently d2: no
Previous i2 ir/ir: no
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#3]
no, on all eight DBALs
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I want to know if you the owner of a Dbal has failed. 
View Quote
I have failed numerous times to turn mine off killing the battery
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to know if you the owner of a Dbal has failed. 
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Forgetting to turn off killing the batteries
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#7]
i have a used ITAL-C.  it turns itself off after i shoot my 11.5" SBR after every round.  i bought it used, had it for over a year before using it and i haven't had the time to even think about fixing or doing more troubleshooting.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
DBAL D2, zero issues.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one fail, right out of the box (DBAL A3).   The push button intermittently worked (more often than not).  You would have to cycle the button 5-6 times before it would "fire", but even then, it would cut off while it was "on".

I got an RMA# and sent it back to Steiner.  They repaired it and sent it back.  It was about a 3 week turn-around.  Zero issues since then.  

The other unit I bought at the same time has not had any issues at all.

I bought these about 1.5 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Self-induced issues only also.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:17:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a DBAL A3 and about 4mos after I got it the illuminator went super dim. So dim you could barely see it in a pitch black room.
Mailed it to Steiner and they got it back to me after about 3 weeks.

The DBAL I2 I have had been flawless for the last 2.5 years.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#12]
The only NV IR laser product I've ever had fail were 2 Surefire X400Vs

Steiner seems to make good stuff
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, my DBAL-PL failed this past weekend while on the range at Cola Warrior.

I haven't gotten around to calling them and starting the RMA yet.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks to everyone who replied and please keep them coming hopefully it'll help others make an informed decision for themselves in either direction. I know a lot of people saw that John Lovell from Telluric Group put out a video: "IR Lasers for Night Vision: ATPIAL vs. DBAL-D2". He stated the Steiner I2 are not reliable and had a pile of them that had/has problems but he didn't go into detail why they failed, so I FB'd him, super nice guy and he took time to respond which is awesome. Here's what I asked him.

Me:
SUN 9:44PM
John, In your IR illuminator/laser video you mentioned the DBAL I2 had a lot of failures, I was just wondering what was the most common problem and are they with the older LDI or newer Steiners Thanks

John:
poor zero retention or flat out breaking. I like the D2 most from the steiner family.

Please note this is no way intended in bashing Steiner, but just his observation. As noted I'm a happy D2 and OTAL-C owner. I still haven't made a solid decision to buy a ATPIAL-C or go big and sell my D2, bypass the ATPIAL all together and go with the B.E. Meyers MAWL. The only thing that is holding me back is it doesn't have a track record like the ATPIAL does by being beaten to death in the sandbox by guys/gals who aren't gentle with their gear. Or go with Steiner that has the very attractive price of the I2 9007 and all the great reviews from everyone who posted in this thread especially Skypup who has vast amount of knowledge about NV. Another SOF guy Jason Falla of RedBack One (works with Knights Armament IIRC) prefers the DBAL to the ATPIAL.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I also got a PM from Optics Planet:
Greetings,

Unfortunately we do not have the sort of data you are looking for. I would suggest contacting each manufacturer to see if they would provide that data for their products, or you could try contacting TNVC for that sort of data as they conduct end user classes and have much more personal experience in the field with these products.

What I can tell you is that we do not see many returns due to manuf defect and in general we sell more of the Steiner DBAL units, the D2 being the highest reviewed but the I2 is also a strong seller mostly due to the price points.

Sorry I could not provide the information that you are looking for, please let me know if I can provide any additional help.

-Matt S.

Hopefully TNVC will chime in since they have the most valuable input of all because of the number of units they sell, classes they teach and straight up no BS this what works, it's expensive or no it's not MilSpec because of this and the most important we stand 110% the stuff we sell.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I also got a PM from Optics Planet:
Greetings,

Unfortunately we do not have the sort of data you are looking for. I would suggest contacting each manufacturer to see if they would provide that data for their products, or you could try contacting TNVC for that sort of data as they conduct end user classes and have much more personal experience in the field with these products.

What I can tell you is that we do not see many returns due to manuf defect and in general we sell more of the Steiner DBAL units, the D2 being the highest reviewed but the I2 is also a strong seller mostly due to the price points.

Sorry I could not provide the information that you are looking for, please let me know if I can provide any additional help.

-Matt S.

Hopefully TNVC will chime in since they have the most valuable input of all because of the number of units they sell, classes they teach and straight up no BS this what works, it's expensive or no it's not MilSpec because of this and the most important we stand 110% the stuff we sell.
View Quote
You may want to file a Freedom of Information Act request to TACOM, PEO Soldier PM SSL, and/or DLA Disposition Services.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#17]
The Atpial c  is appealing but not the illuminator. I live my D2 but it's a tad heavy. I sold my i2 due to seeing the John Lovell vid too.

The MAWL doesn't have the track record and imo is way overpriced.  Definitely performs.

The A4 looks promising but again with the track record. At least they got the price right. Looks like it will perform.

I dunno. The A4 might convince me to sell my D2. Being able to dump my light is very appealing. As of now I don't see any reason to part with my $1000 D2 in favor of another unit with illuminators that don't compete or the MAWL which is 1.5x the price and performs similar. at least fromy experience and what I use it for.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#18]
DBAL A3 - no issues to date
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#20]
My DBAL A3 had a bad battery contact, the laser would flicker, go dim or just not turn on at all until I removed the batter pushed in the contact spring and reinserted battery. I it Sent back for a free repair and have not had a single issue since.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I personally have had 2 DBAL I2 Failures. One was a flickering laser during strings of fire, and one shut down on me in a very cold situation while hunting.
View Quote
Sam I know you guys sell a ton of DBAL I2 do you guys see the same type and amount of failures that John Lovell's from Telluric Group see with the I2 not holding zero and a high rate of failure. I'm not sure if its Steiner "Positive Loading" of the windage and and elevation knobs when rotating counter clockwise a factor in the high rate of return. I know Telluric is very aware of this and have more than likely told their customers, but it could be possible the customers didn't want to deal with it and would rather return it instead. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was actually hanging out with John Lovell last night talking shop.

He has branched out and gone out on his own and is no longer with Telluric group, but I will say yes, as a matter of fact I have trained alongside and under John many times at the Telluric Facility and that is where I have witnessed a few DBAL gripes during NV classes. flickering Devices wandering zero's even after conducting a proper zero in accordance with the manual and lasers just not working. I am not sure about the claim of folks not wanting to deal with it and sending it home. By and large the I2 and A3 are the lasers that experience issues at the highest rates.

I want to say though that these are not bad lasers by any means, Steiner has good customer service and support and is pretty quick with their support and repairs. If all you can afford is an I2 it still beats not having a Laser at all and odds are it provides you with the capability that you need for many years.
View Quote
Sam, Thanks for the info it helps a lot. The part about not wanting to deal with a I2 was "A Wild Guess" on my part not something that John or Telluric said. I appreciate all the feedback that everyone provided especially all the dealers since they see the returns or lack of first hand. From all of the post, talking with people, my own experience and all the searching I've done on the net it appears people who own Steiners are very happy with them and me being one of them with my D2. I'm going to eventually sell my D2, keep my OTAL and buy an ATPIAL because I like the lower profile and if I need any additional illumination I have a SureFire M952V already ridding side saddle.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Newb question here. Just getting into the NV game and bought an A3. Would someone mind commenting on Steiners advice to not "store the device" with the battery installed? If I take the rifle out once a week, should I be removing the battery for the 6 days its not being used? Or am I fine just making sure its off?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Most of the removing batteries when not using for long periods of times (especially if in heated environments) is for safety.  We always tell our NV customers to always remove batts even when their NV is stored in a safe. BATTERIES CAN AND DO LEAK AT TIMES.  Heck, a few months ago I had a couple of dozen AAA in my draw in a card board box and 7 of them leaked, and this was in a 75deg room.  

In your case, unless the rifle is used for SHTF type stuff, take the batts out when not in use for 6 days, no need to chance battery issues...And yes if storing a few days insure the system is in the OFF position.

The other reason is to avoid battery drainage as we've talked about above.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. Will do.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
DBAL D2, zero issues.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The only NV IR laser product I've ever had fail were 2 Surefire X400Vs

Steiner seems to make good stuff
View Quote
QFT

the X400v is a colossal piece of shit.

Basically $750 turd.

Everyone stay clear.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

QFT

the X400v is a colossal piece of shit.

Basically $750 turd.

Everyone stay clear.
View Quote
What problems have you had and did you send it back to SF?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#37]
D2-fine
I2(x2)-fine
A3-green laser failed, fixed in a reasonable amount of time
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
i have a used ITAL-C.  it turns itself off after i shoot my 11.5" SBR after every round.  i bought it used, had it for over a year before using it and i haven't had the time to even think about fixing or doing more troubleshooting.
View Quote
just thought i'd update this...  i took it out shooting once again and yes, it would shut off after every 5.56 round fired.  i contacted Steiner and i sent it in.  i received it back recently and plan on doing some testing in about a week.  they fixed it free of charge.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#39]
(4) Steiner DBAL A3's here and zero issues.   (Used weekly)
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I wish the DBAL failures were similar to carbine malfunctions in that they could be diagnosed and the cause/reason for failure identified.

These DBAL threads frustrate me because I have several LD/steiner lasers. I rarely get a chance to shoot them at night, and I dont like to keep them on during daytime shooting for various reasons. After reading these "failure" threads my faith has been shaken in these units. And the most frustrating part is that I dont have much of a chance to run the units to trial them for myself.

I thought I was buying top of the line and now i wonder if I wound up with expensive paper weight.

I wish Steiner would address this. It seems like there is a lot of negative feedback that I just don't see with the ATPIAL.

I own an ital, otal, i2 and an A3. If I need to change lasers, it is going to get expensive quick.

This topic seems to get talked about, but there doesn't seem to be much resolution. When I see guys who say they sent them in for repair, i wonder how long will the repair last? What was wrong with it in the first place? Is mine going to fail?

This is critical equipment...if I dont see some explainations pretty soon i am going to dump my steiner products and not look back.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wish the DBAL failures were similar to carbine malfunctions in that they could be diagnosed and the cause/reason for failure identified.

These DBAL threads frustrate me because I have several LD/steiner lasers. I rarely get a chance to shoot them at night, and I dont like to keep them on during daytime shooting for various reasons. After reading these "failure" threads my faith has been shaken in these units. And the most frustrating part is that I dont have much of a chance to run the units to trial them for myself.

I thought I was buying top of the line and now i wonder if I wound up with expensive paper weight.

I wish Steiner would address this. It seems like there is a lot of negative feedback that I just don't see with the ATPIAL.

I own an ital, otal, i2 and an A3. If I need to change lasers, it is going to get expensive quick.

This topic seems to get talked about, but there doesn't seem to be much resolution. When I see guys who say they sent them in for repair, i wonder how long will the repair last? What was wrong with it in the first place? Is mine going to fail?

This is critical equipment...if I dont see some explainations pretty soon i am going to dump my steiner products and not look back.
View Quote
You just have to buy the correct model. The D2. You rarely hear of failures with those.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I have 3 DBAL A3's and have fired many thousands of rounds of 223/556 with them mounted to rifles and a little over 1000 of 308 with the third. No problems at all in three years. Days in nights living with them in the bush. Have never removed the batteries and have even left the one of them in the on position for two weeks while living in the bush, maybe shut it off once or twice.

Two of my units have the coating wearing off from use.
Broken a few tape switches, but the units themselves have been solid for me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Being the OP of this thread, I have noticed that most of the current failures are on the early A3 with unit turning off intermittently. Bare in mind that Steiner has a weird way to lower or move your POI left by turning the adjustments counter clockwise 8 clicks plus the amount to move your POI down/left. If it wasn't done in this manner the zero would shift which may account for the returns. Also keep in mind some large dealers have not seen/very limited amount of returns on the I2's. If there was a huge failures of Steiners I'm sure there would be a larger out cry from the community. Just an FYI I just acquired a Steiner DBAL I2 IR/IR 9007 and have complete confidence in their product. Every time I run my rig I leave my DBAL attached and always reconfirm zero. It hasn't moved so I'm sure its good to go. If you have doubts about any of your LAMs you can always beat the back of your butt stock with a rubber mallet to your hearts content to simulate recoil and re-verify your zero. Easiest way to zero your LAM is at night weapons mount your NOD, overlap your IR laser to your red dot at the furthest distance you can see. Since your IR laser will be zeroed to your RDS (50/200 recommended) your hold overs at 300+ will be exactly the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top