Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2017 10:53:37 AM EDT
TLDR: 
looking for an entry level, simply, inexpensive, hand held digital recorder for filming my buddies when we hunt/stalk hogs. 

Ive been very fortunate the last few years to have allow friends with NV gear to come hunt on family land.  Recently it occurred to me that watching them hunt, stalk, and basically have a blast was just as fun to me as actually hunting. I can hunt whenever I want so it's more recording them.

ive seen cheapo units on amazon as low as $130 with decent reviews.  Some even less

Camcorder, Hausbell 302S FHD Camcorder 1080p Digital Video Camera Remote Control Infrared Night Vision with 2 batteries and Touchscreen (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KLOA1PI?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I cannot give any specific advice on this topic but I can give some general advice. One point is that IR light focuses differently than visible light. Because of this, some cameras have IR filtration to prevent the IR light from affecting daytime resolution. The net result is a lessening of efficiency in low light levels. In some of the offending cameras, the filter can be removed. If the primary intent is night usage then disregard day usage and get a unit optimized for low light levels.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want a good cheap digital NV camera, maybe look at some of the Sony low-light sensors ( cameras ) and attach them to a good quality 720p DVR via the analogue input. This will give you a great handheld recording system that will run for ages on a single decent-sized model aircraft battery - likely hours.  You ideally want a camera with enhanced IR capability, so it's colors will appear all washed out during the day if you use it. 

Better than a handicam, which all used tape and are old an expensive. Plus many IR capable models were nerfed to stop them seeing through girls clothing. Not that they could ever see much, but the huge scandal around ti ( and the fact Sony was involved ) meant they started filtering many of them.

Then again, you can probably pick up a cheap nightshot came for about $50 secondhand.

But the sensors have improved a lot since they used to make those nightshot cameras, so a little DIY would prove useful here - :)

Hope this helps -
David.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a DCR-TRV27 that works well. I do not use it for hunting, but I have set it up on tripod to night record turtles coming in to lay eggs. Long battery life and long record time makes it ideal for turn it on and come back next morning.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Carson ($175) and Solomark ($130) both make small devices specifically for night recording. Bushnell Equinox Digital ($220) comes in three different magnifications, and would probably give you better recording since they have larger lenses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top