Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2017 6:21:23 PM EDT
Ok I got my Revision A3 helmet from TNVC, and a lot sooner than I expected it.  So for all those times I bitched about the wait, this time it came early. Revision has a new high cut helmet line coming out soon so you can get a good price on the older model right now.  This is a good helmet from a good dealer.  At a good price.  You can buy one of these for 350 right now.  

The last time I bought a helmet I got a large (MSA) high cut, which worked OK, but I have a 7 1/4 hat size, so I kinda looked like that old Bert n Ernie cartoon from the early fitting manuals.  With me being the tall pinhead in the big helmet.  So this time I went with a medium which looks like it will fit much better.

I also bought the Revision cover, and their stand-alone rails.  This was appealing to me because I was looking for a complete system that would work well together, versus the old MSA helmet, which didn't quite fit the OpsCore rails.  Well it didn't quite work out that way.  For some reason, Revision chose to put a little extension of the helmet, right behind the front screw holes.  Maybe this is to fit up with their extended rail system.  I didn't like it because the rails don't match up with it, which was the whole purpose of this exercise.  So I decided to modify it.  I used a high-speed cut-off wheel for most of it, and finished up with a coping saw, which worked surprisingly well.  I then used Devcon epoxy to rebuild the binding, blending it in with the existing binding.   The velcro circles were pulled out and all adhesive removed.  The whole helmet was then re-painted and re-texured.  I then glued in 1" strips of Velcro, with McNett Seam Grip, to match my exact pad arrangement.  It now resembles an OpsCore helmet in outline.  And here's the funny part.  The OpsCore rails actually fit it better now than the Revision stand-alone's.  The cover was then modified to fit the new helmet contour.  I like the Revision cover because it completely covers the helmet, making for a much cleaner fit.  The shroud and rails simply lay on top of the cover, after punching the required mounting holes.  

For the suspension, I'm using an OpscOre Dial-a-noodle, along with my own pads under front, and two spit pads on the crown.  This allows me to fit my comms.

For a shroud, I'm using the VAS.  GI Rhino II, GI J-arm, old style with ball detents.  Battery CW pouch, custom made, with bungee hold-down.  Phoenix IR strobe velcro'd to hold down tab.  Two US IR flags on the sides.      

The old MSA helmet will now get the Revision rails, which, surprise, fit better than the OpsCore.   So this helmet is going to my buddy.

So all in all, this rig cost me about 450 for the helmet, rails and cover, with another 100 for the suspension (if I didn't already have one).  So call it 550 out the door.  Another 200 or so for the shroud, Rhino mount, and J-arm.  Phoenix strobe and IR patches, another 50 bucks.  All up, about 800 bucks.  

It was a fun project, because I have the time and wherewithal to do the mods.  Your mileage may vary.  

Would I rather have a lighter weight OpsCore or Crye helmet, sure.  But this gets me into the game.  

I dedicate this project to Augee, who inspired us all with his Maritime Bump helmet mod awhile back.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#1]
OK I couldn't stand it.  The previous mod was "good enough" but I wanted better.  So I went full-Augee.  I put the Revision rails back on, traced them onto the helmet, and got wiggy with it.  The helmet now exactly matches the rails.  Yeah, yuk it up, I know I'm being a little ADD here, but WTF!  Why shouldn't you be able to have a helmet under a grand that matches up with the rails!  Seriously.

I'm not sure what Revision was thinking when they came out with this A3 model, but obviously they figured it out and came out with their new model.  Don't know what that's gonna cost, versus what I've done, but what the hell.  I'm having fun.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Really need pics
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top