Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/18/2017 9:45:35 PM EDT
Ive always been fascinated by NV but knew little about it untill a few months ago.
At the time I had a $500 budget and just wanted to get my feet wet with a Gen1 to throw on an air rifle for night pest control.
I got a $300 firefield and didnt expect much. To my surprise the view was clearer than expected and works great with IR illum, but in passive use I really think naked eye dark adapted eyes can see the same or more.
So..... Its true that anyone getting into NV should skip 1st gen but at least it got me into the game and now want to upgrade.

Ive spent past few weeks working alot of overtime and saving up, also been reading everything I can in spare time but still unsure.
I want to get a monocular so that I have versatility of hand held property scanning/quick looks, later down the road will want to helmet mount it, I have a pasgt kevlar helmet that I upgraded with padded cushions, will use it to night hike while camping, air gun pest control at night, might go coyote hunting with nephew once or twice a year and im looking at the geopolitical climate and thinking a good NV unit might be handy in the not too distant future if shtf lol.

Anyway, I know a pvs-14 is the goto recommendation, but Id like to stay closer to $2k. Even a bit under 2k is more realistic for me at the moment (for monocular alone)
Ive seen the pvs housings for ~$800 and then would just need to find a decent tube which is a bit leery not knowing which tube to look for, autogate vs non AG, etc ..... which then haves me pondering that maybe a gen 2 white phosphor unit would fit the bill?

I see some gen 2+ WPT units with resolution on par with gen 3 and really good reviews but I dont want to make any more buying mistakes and would rather buy once cry once and know I have a reliable high quality piece of equipment.
So..... Are these gen 2+ WPT units (not sure if I can post names) going to cut it or should I just face the facts and keep saving for the pvs-14 gen3?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Over a decade ago now, I had a PVS4, a set of PVS5's and a Patriot Pocketscope, all 2nd Gen US. I sold all of them and stuck a little cash with it to buy my first Pinnacle Autogated PVS14. My friends said "that's dumb, two is one, one is none" blah blah blah. I said "BS, I've used this technology, it blows the older stuff away." Then I saved up for my 2nd PVS14.

I've never regretted it.
View Quote
If I could do it again, I'd buy an HP+ unit or equivalent from this guy for 3k, great deal.
Then get the team wendy helmet from Optics Planet with 10% discount code.
Wilcox G24 mount and j-arm because you deserve it.
Finally get whatever counterweight you fancy, some energizer lithium aa batteries, and have fun!

To complete the kit, a surefire vampire v1, princeton ir/red rail light for your helmet, and an Atpial-C for your rifle. done.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I just dont know if these newer gen2+ wpt optics have progressed the gap between gen 2 and gen 3 or if its just manufacturers marketing hype. Im looking at the atn nvm14 wpt, Ive read some reviews of ex military guys who claimed to have used gen 1, gen2, gen 3/ 4....and claim these are just as good as gen3 with better contrast.
Read a few reviews like this but cant find any other info/videos/reviews about them. Are they that new that not alot of people have tried them?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just dont know if these newer gen2+ wpt optics have progressed the gap between gen 2 and gen 3 or if its just manufacturers marketing hype. Im looking at the atn nvm14 wpt, Ive read some reviews of ex military guys who claimed to have used gen 1, gen2, gen 3/ 4....and claim these are just as good as gen3 with better contrast.
Read a few reviews like this but cant find any other info/videos/reviews about them. Are they that new that not alot of people have tried them?
View Quote
If you must go Gen 2 then go NGI or Armasight. I have heard too many goofball complaints of even the PVS-14s from ATN (oddball Russian tubes that fail and the housing being non-standard so a replacement tube did not fit was the worst one). There have been some gems from ATN but I have seen as many turds as I have gems from them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Lowdown3/ JRH Enterprise has excellent spec tubes, excellent price and has a 10 year warranty, so make sure you include him when making a final decision.

As far as spending 2k you can find great spec used TNVC PVS14 1-2 years old on the EE for your price range. TNVC is another great company and well respected here for a reason.

The differance from Gen1 to Gen3 is huge, but the difference from Gen2/Gen2+ to Gen3 is not to far away. Gen2/Gen2+ are more than capable under moon/starlight, urban areas. Where Gen3 really shines is in very very dark areas/corners, very dark structures, no moon/stars, very thick canopy. One thing to remember is not all Gen 2,2+,3 etc are created equal which is why buying from a reputable company such as TNVC/JRH will save you money as well as get you exactly what you need and more. IMHO things to look for are:

No blems that are distracting  
Autogated unit
SNR min 24
Halo 1.0 max
lp/mn 64-72
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I still have all three of my PVS-14's, two of which are gen2. The Gen3 is a Alpha/pinnacle, the others are Gen2+ HD, and NGI Gen2+. You wouldn't be disappointed if you decided to go with the NGI PVS-14. Or as is common knowledge now, any U.S. made Gen3 will do well to. If you decide to go with Gen2, getting a PVS-14 will allow you to upgrade just the tube at a later time, while still allowing you to have a useful device.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Man this is a hard choice I know.  Laying out this kind of money on NV is tough.  You are just really wishing the quality was in direct proportion to what you spend, but for the most part, it just ain't.  The newer Gen II+ stuff is as close as they've been able to get to the good gen III stuff.  It MIGHT even be what you need.  But all things considered, I'd go the extra time and money to get the gen III.  It took me many years before I could afford NV.  And then took longer before I actually pulled the trigger.  

The only caveat is if you are in a mostly rural area, where your NV will be mostly through fields with fairly consistent moonlight illum.  In this case, really good Gen II+ might worked nicely.  But as the man said, if you are going to be in any urban areas, with variable, mix light environments, the gen III really comes into it's own.  So that would be my ultimate decision-maker.  What will be your primary area of operations.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Most of the gen 2+ hd stuff from armasight is pretty solid and they have really clean tubes. I think you can still do better though for 2k. There are vendors who can build you a gen 3 B grade device for that price.

Gen 2+ isnt bad, and while the image is typically clean, it doesnt amplify the light like gen 3 does, so when it is really dark, gen 2+ will struggle. Illuminators can fix this, but you can also get some nice flashlights for 2k.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Pick up two used gen 3 PVS14's, omni 4 or better, for $1800 each and run duals. If you must have a warranty lots of folks are selling them around the $2k mark with a warranty. You can be rocking duals for the same money everyone else is running a single unit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing wrong with PVS7's, and if you can find a trusted seller in the EE a gen 3 one can be had a lot cheaper than a 14.
Nothing wrong with PVS4 for a weapon scope too, they work great.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
So in terms of raw resolution modern Gen2+ will be equivalent to the Gen3.
In terms really low light performance modern gen3 beats modern gen2+ but it has to be really dark.

The other thing to consider is due to the wavelengths that the different photcathodes are more sensitive to, some things will look "Brighter" with a gen3 vs gen2 tube. Tree leaves are a common one, they look brighter under gen3 in my experience.

I've got a pile of gen2 and 3 gear and don't really feel there is a huge gap between the best of the best stuff (ok, I stopped a few years back with thin-film autogated so almost best of the best) and even the 90's era stuff. Yeah the latest greatest is better, but for what I use it for its mostly equivalent. Even old school early 80's PVS-5's are pretty decent, though you can definitely see the difference in resolution and lower light performance there compared to the new stuff.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#12]
With a similar budget (sub $2,000 for the monocular) I recently took the plunge by waiting until I found a suitably lower end/older PVS14 with a gen 3 tube that didn't have any pedigree (I.e. Specs or warranty), and I have been pretty pleased. You need to do some due diligence and really buy from a reputable member here on the EE so you don't get screwed. This will get you into a decent unit, albeit likely blemished or with unknown use history, for cheap enough to allow you to have the proper supporting gear such as a decent helmet/IR light or laser/etc.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]
wow....lots of good replies and suggestions already! Thanks guys!

I live in a urban environment , so except for the times I go out of town with my nephew or go camping, I would be using them here with random street lights and neighbors porch lights sprinkled around.

Ive seen some blem pvs-14s on ebay for $1700. The blems are pretty bad but not in the center zone1. I wouldnt mind a blemish if it wasnt horrible and distracting... solong as it wont effect longevity?

Im also not against buying the pvs14 housing now while I save for a tube. Im an avid DIYer and tinkerer so wouldnt mind it. I guess I wouldnt get a warranty this route so would have to do my homework and stick with a reputable seller of the tube.
I also wouldnt be against getting a gen 2 that I could upgrade the tube on down the road but for about same price I might be just better off going with a blem gen 3 and living with it.
Whats the EE you guys always refer to? Is it this forums classifieds?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I live in a urban environment , so except for the times I go out of town with my nephew or go camping, I would be using them here with random street lights and neighbors porch lights sprinkled around.

Ive seen some blem pvs-14s on ebay for $1700. The blems are pretty bad but not in the center zone1. I wouldnt mind a blemish if it wasnt horrible and distracting... solong as it wont effect longevity?

Im also not against buying the pvs14 housing now while I save for a tube. Im an avid DIYer and tinkerer so wouldnt mind it. I guess I wouldnt get a warranty this route so would have to do my homework and stick with a reputable seller of the tube.
I also wouldnt be against getting a gen 2 that I could upgrade the tube on down the road but for about same price I might be just better off going with a blem gen 3 and living with it.
View Quote
In my experience, only the very patient and experienced guys save any money by building their own. Usually the beginners overlook something and break even or go in the hole. That having been said, the PVS-14 is fairly easy to build and ensure parts compatibility. I definitely recommend against a beginner building a PVS-7.

Blemishes do not affect longevity. Blemishes outside of the center ring tend to not cause problems with serious users. White wall hunters will find blemishes in any tube and will always focus on complaining about the blemishes rather than enjoy the unit for what it is.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe you guys can help me out.
I found a PVS 14 Housing parts set for cheap but need to know if there is any missing components?

The guy says it comes with "New battery compartment, New monocular housing, set of 4 screws, demisting shield, night cover, sacrificial lense, eye piece, eye cup, eye cup ring, intensifier tube ring, front lenses locking ring, and lanyard"

And heres some pics

https://i.imgur.com/BZfu0gz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yHVyzuc.jpg

I could get this now and have time to assemble it and look at mounting options while saving for a decent tube....
yay? nay?

Thanks again guys!

EDIT...........
Talked to the guy, it needs front and rear lenses, other than that its complete. Could probably get it for $300 but by the time I buy the lenses it might push me in price to where I could of just bought the housing complete and new.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Although it's not hard to build a PVS14 IMHO you'd be better off buying a complete unit with a warranty. A super tube alone will cost you 2K-up and buying from a repeatable company. Buying from a fly by night is either stolen, maybe misrepresented in spec, used etc. Since tubes don't have an hour usage gauge or it may be impossible to be sure the tube lights up for inspection the chances of receiving a burned/damage are high leaving you with little recourse.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I bought one from a guy on here that has some decent zone one blemishes, but is a gen 3 autogated tube. At first I found the blend a little annoying and was worried I'd eventually regret it, but honestly the more I use it the less I care or notice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:00:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought one from a guy on here that has some decent zone one blemishes, but is a gen 3 autogated tube. At first I found the blend a little annoying and was worried I'd eventually regret it, but honestly the more I use it the less I care or notice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the best savings to be had is on a blem tube with otherwise good specs. You can get a blem free 2+ tube that's going to be okay, or for the same money a gen 3 tube with blemishes, and higher specs, that will give you better performance, which will be more useful and fun to use. Blemishes are easier for me to get used to than poor performance. You're not going to save money building your first one, unless you get lucky and get a good deal on a used tube, which is a crap shoot. It really sucks buying a shitty tube or device used. I know first hand. Save up and get a new, blemished gen3. New = no regrets because of guarantees, and reputations. The dealers on here all sell great new stuff. E-mail them. They will all talk to you about it, and what they sell.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#19]
That's probably some really good advice there.  I wouldn't go the DIY route unless I had a good mentor beside me to makes sure I didn't get dicked.  My first tube was a blem gen III and honestly after an hour in the bush I didn't even notice it.  It had really good resolution overall.  I ended up rebuilding that one and like the man said, it's pretty butt-simple.  You just need to find a machine or weld shop that can help you with nitro purge.  

If you do buy a kit, get the whole kit from a dealer here on arfcom.  The prices have come way down so there's no reason to buy used or unknown crap.  The tube is the biggie.  Get into contact with some of the guys here and make sure you get a legit deal.  I really like having the gain control so I would recommend sticking with a tube that has this feature.  I would rather have gain and a few blems, than a perfect non-adjustable tube.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#20]
If you do end up going the DIY route now or in the future, please buy the tools to install the rings.

The following image is a blem... a blem on the output side of the glass, and I'm guessing this is the result of using a flathead screwdriver to try and tighten down the tube retaining ring instead of buying a $15 wrench to do it. I got the tube like this from a vendor - it is kind of sad actually, because it is actually a fairly nice tube and is pretty much spotless aside from the scratches/chips in the surface of the glass. I'm not sure if it would be possible or cost-effective to have it repaired.

Under normal usage, this really isn't even that bad of a blem or that distracting. It works fine as-is, so I put it into an ACT Lunox housing and I built it for my kids so they aren't trying to destroy my Sentinels or MOD-3's.

$15 would have saved this tube...
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j2xeh0vjvg00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F142378160091

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#21]
If you decide to go the DIY route, this is the best way to start. You won't find a better price on a complete PVS-14 housing with mil spec glass anywhere.

UNV EE Listing
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's probably some really good advice there.  I wouldn't go the DIY route unless I had a good mentor beside me to makes sure I didn't get dicked.  My first tube was a blem gen III and honestly after an hour in the bush I didn't even notice it.  It had really good resolution overall.  I ended up rebuilding that one and like the man said, it's pretty butt-simple.  You just need to find a machine or weld shop that can help you with nitro purge.  

If you do buy a kit, get the whole kit from a dealer here on arfcom.  The prices have come way down so there's no reason to buy used or unknown crap.  The tube is the biggie.  Get into contact with some of the guys here and make sure you get a legit deal.  I really like having the gain control so I would recommend sticking with a tube that has this feature.  I would rather have gain and a few blems, than a perfect non-adjustable tube.
View Quote
I work in a machine/ weld shop but all we have is oxygen,acetylene,propane,and argon.
What happens if you skip the nitro purge?

SORRY_____ I had to break my post into the following 3 posts as I have a 2000 character limit?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you do end up going the DIY route now or in the future, please buy the tools to install the rings.

The following image is a blem... a blem on the output side of the glass, and I'm guessing this is the result of using a flathead screwdriver to try and tighten down the tube retaining ring instead of buying a $15 wrench to do it. I got the tube like this from a vendor - it is kind of sad actually, because it is actually a fairly nice tube and is pretty much spotless aside from the scratches/chips in the surface of the glass. I'm not sure if it would be possible or cost-effective to have it repaired.

Under normal usage, this really isn't even that bad of a blem or that distracting. It works fine as-is, so I put it into an ACT Lunox housing and I built it for my kids so they aren't trying to destroy my Sentinels or MOD-3's.

$15 would have saved this tube...
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j2z3f996cp00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F142378160091

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/217687/tube-dmg-212406.JPG
View Quote
The new pvs-14 gen 3 blems Ive been eyeing on ebay for $1700 have several medium sized spots in zone 2 then have similar looking whispy black streaks along the edge similar to this pic you posted..... do you think its the same damage you speak of- From mishandling and hitting the tube with a screwdriver when tightening lockring? I think they are non autogated as well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there a list anywhere of all the various iterations of gen 2 and gen 3 tubes that will fit in the pvs-14 housings and somekind of ranking system for them? Ive been trying to research what are the best tubes and sofar understand it as ITT has several models with the newer ones being more desireable but then L3 has new thinner filmed ones that rival newest ITT but then theres newest pinnacle ones and also read something about photonis tubes........ its all getting confussing Is there an "image tube hierarchy chart" of sorts?

Id like a white phosphor tube but would have to go gen2+ as its within my budget but cant find any sellers of just wpt tubes, ATN has the WPT complete units for a little over 2k with great reviews but I dont like that its not in a true pvs14 housing and would need proprietary ATN headmount hardware etc.

I planned on ordering the complete housing linked here next fri because Im impatient lmao but if a nitro purge is absolutely necessary then I guess Ill probably wait and try to find a decent used autogated gen 3 pvs-14 here on the exchange.

I still need schooled on the pvs-14 tube hierarchy so any links to charts or articles are appreciated! Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Oh----- One more Q

I have a ballistic  ACH helmet with a modular padded cushion system I installed, Id like to end up retrofitting a decent shroud/mounting system to it. Any ideas for a inexpensive but decently sturdy system for my ACH? From my reading im thinking about rhino II but dont know what shroud I need or process to install it to helmet? Just drill holes?

Thanks again guys! very informative forum!
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Some good tube info:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/317705_.html
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The new pvs-14 gen 3 blems Ive been eyeing on ebay for $1700 have several medium sized spots in zone 2 then have similar looking whispy black streaks along the edge similar to this pic you posted..... do you think its the same damage you speak of- From mishandling and hitting the tube with a screwdriver when tightening lockring? I think they are non autogated as well.
View Quote
The darkness around the edge is from having using my cellular phone to take the pictures and not having a perfect optical alignment - it doesn't look like that through the actual tube.

It would probably be best to just order the tube from where you want, and to call UNV about that housing with the arfcom code and just have them assemble your whole device - or even ask them about tubes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Some good tube info:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/317705_.html
View Quote
thanks for the link, so is it safe to say I just need to be looking for an autogated tube with 64 Ip/mm+ and  S/N over 20?
What about manual gain? Ive seen some autogated tubes with no manual gain, is manual gain preferred?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The darkness around the edge is from having using my cellular phone to take the pictures and not having a perfect optical alignment - it doesn't look like that through the actual tube.

It would probably be best to just order the tube from where you want, and to call UNV about that housing with the arfcom code and just have them assemble your whole device - or even ask them about tubes.
View Quote
Ya, I wasnt referring to the slight shade gradient your talking about. The ones on ebay have what looks like a black crack with dark whisping coming off of it. I cant figure out how to embed images. I might not have permission as I also cant post over 2000 characters
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I work in a machine/ weld shop but all we have is oxygen,acetylene,propane,and argon.

SORRY_____ I had to break my post into the following 3 posts as I have a 2000 character limit?
View Quote
A lot of expensive optics are purged with argon.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A lot of expensive optics are purged with argon.
View Quote
I think we use 90% argon 10% co2 in the shop, I have 80% argon, 20%co2 in the garage. Wonder if either of these would work.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

thanks for the link, so is it safe to say I just need to be looking for an autogated tube with 64 Ip/mm+ and  S/N over 20?
What about manual gain? Ive seen some autogated tubes with no manual gain, is manual gain preferred?
View Quote
S/N over 26 and above on a late gen3 would be preferable. Auto gating is like ABS brakes you don't really need it until you slam on the brakes or in the case of NV the area your in goes full bright by someone turning on all the lights.
I know it sounds kind of backwards but you manual gain it allows you to adjust the lighting condition to see more detail vs having everything too bright.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I wonder what TNVC's interest rate is on the financing option??
LOL, I have great credit but always stuck to the finance for home only rule, Hell... Im driving a vehicle I paid 1k for and replaced timing chains myself....thats the kinda cheapass I am........ BUT...... This might be the only way for me to afford a good monocular.

Otherwise Im going to buy the housing kit and try to source a sub $1000 tube which could be hit or miss.... Im the tinkerer type and cheap so will end up doing this unless I go with above option. I wonder what loan length and interest rate is, or if theres a penalty for early payoff?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wonder what TNVC's interest rate is on the financing option??
LOL, I have great credit but always stuck to the finance for home only rule, Hell... Im driving a vehicle I paid 1k for and replaced timing chains myself....thats the kinda cheapass I am........ BUT...... This might be the only way for me to afford a good monocular.

Otherwise Im going to buy the housing kit and try to source a sub $1000 tube which could be hit or miss.... Im the tinkerer type and cheap so will end up doing this unless I go with above option. I wonder what loan length and interest rate is, or if theres a penalty for early payoff?
View Quote
Most likely your under 1k tube will be either an older omni2-3 mx10160, that or it be newer and will have some fairly nasty blems. Nothing really wrong with the older tubes IMO, no they won't be all shiny with great specs, but for 90% of what you want to do it will work just fine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Manual gain control would definitely come in handy for you. I didn't realize their was PVS14's made WITHOUT it, but evidently so!
View Quote
Putting a MX10160 in a PVS-14 housing to save a few bucks has been a time honored tradition, both ITT and IIRC litton did back in the day for "commercial" PVS-14's.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mostly nothing. But it depends on your enviroment. Basically if you have humid air in there you can get condensation = bad. I live in a dry climate so I don't worry about. I've run NV for longer than some of our members have been alive and I have not bothered purging any of my builds and never had an issue. Its probably good practice if you are going to be using it in a humid climate though. Many places will charge you like 100 bucks to do it if you are worried about it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been using canned air for purging without issues. I estimate that it works pretty well because my PVS-14s have been completely externally fogged but the internals never fogged.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Take a look at the mum14a from nivisys. They'll sell you a new housing kit with optics, j arm, and weapon mount for under $450. Pair it with a used, or possibly blem'ed, mx10160 tube. Add a rhino 2 mount and shroud, air soft helmet, counterweight, and an OTAL and you're up and running for under $1500.

You won't have manual gain, oh well.
The mum14a has the same objective lense as the pvs 14 so any accessories you add in front are compatible. There's still a good bit of market support for the mum platform and its a bit lighter than the pvs 14.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Take a look at the mum14a from nivisys. They'll sell you a new housing kit with optics, j arm, and weapon mount for under $450. Pair it with a used, or possibly blem'ed, mx10160 tube. Add a rhino 2 mount and shroud, air soft helmet, counterweight, and an OTAL and you're up and running for under $1500.

The mum14a has the same objective lense as the pvs 14 so any accessories you add in front are compatible. There's still a good bit of market support for the mum platform and its a bit lighter than the pvs 14.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.... Ive seen the mum referenced before but had no idea what it was.......here goes my next wave of research lol

I almost pulled the trigger on financing a tnvc pvs-14 but dropped them an email asking if they had any blems or discount codes for ar-15 members.....never heard back

Edit....I dont see their housing kit on nivisys

Edit#2 Nevermind...I found it.
So the mum will work with rhino ii mounts?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#40]
No, the mum takes entirely different mounts. They are more rare and fairly expensive.

I love the mum design and it is more water tolerant than a pvs-14. You could also contact the vendors about getting an ACT Lunox housing, too. I heard they are also fairly priced. I have that Blem Gen 3 tube from above in that housing and it is a nice design.

I would never suggest anyone finance anything they don't absolutely *have* to have right now. If you use this for work, by all means get one, but if you are going to finance this to sit in a closet mostly unused, then I would be the last person to advocate that type of practice.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just read this in a post on here from last year....
"MUM-14 kit (w/o tube). Nivisys quoted me @ $1100 today"

you sure its only $450??

Also... I been reading about those photonis supergen tubes and it seems I might be better going with one of those rather than buying a used mx10160 thats probably omni III and has tons of hours on it. What do you think? Any anyone have any sources for them?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Not sure of that pricing, definitely not what I paid.

PM me for nivisys contact info if you want to.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not sure of that pricing, definitely not what I paid.

PM me for nivisys contact info if you want to.
View Quote
I requested a quote on the kit...we will see
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Ive emailed and requested a quote about the mum kit,  no reply back.

Im just going to order the pv14 kit tomorrow and try to find a decent tube that is at least omni iv.
Theres one in EE that has a 96 date code.
Is that the manufactured date , making it an omni iv....
Or is 96 the warranty exp date ,making it an omni III ?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Deez- not sure if you meant me, but I received an email from you late Sunday night and responded 7:48am Monday morning, if you did not receive it let me know and I will send it again, it did not bounce back however.

Not sure if you meant us, but I wanted you to know I responded right away (we don't typically sell parts but I did respond). Good luck.
JRH Enterprises
View Quote
Nope.... not you bud, you did respond promptly to my email-thanks! Tnvc just responded to....
I was referring to novisys in regards of a MUM housing kit.
I was at work and couldnt remember there name when i made the post.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Does anyone know of a way to tell what contract era a mx10160 tube is?

It seems at omni iv the resolution and performance really boosted on these tubes.
I just want to be able to tell which era tube someone may be offering

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Does anyone know of a way to tell what contract era a mx10160 tube is?

It seems at omni iv the resolution and performance really boosted on these tubes.
I just want to be able to tell which era tube someone may be offering

Thanks
View Quote
There is a tacked thread at the top of this forum with pretty decent info on tubes. Don't be scared of older tubes as there are some really really good omni 4 tubes floating around that are dang nice.

As Harlequin said, building your own PVS 7 or 14 has always been a time honored tradition to save a few bucks......until recently. Now a lot of folks just jump to tell you to buy a new unit, not sure what changed in everyone's mindset about building them?? It is true that the supply has dried up from what it use to be as far as used tubes and glass, but they are still out there (and I am not talking about the ebay route). The days of building $~1000 gen 3 PVS14's are gone and with the used market so saturated with good units starting around $1700 thats not a bad route to go. If a warranty makes your panties wet there are a few guys offering used units for around $2k with a warranty. Honestly, these tubes don't pop that often, its usually from dropping them or user abuse. If you buy a used PVS14 for $1800 you will ALWAYS get your money back or possibly even make a dollar when you sell it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Yea... from all the reading and charts ive seen, it seems like omni iv tubes is where the biggest performance leap came into fruition.
I been looking at a few mx10160 tubes and just wondered if I can go off dates or whatnot to make sure they really are an omni iv or later tube.

Planned on ordering the pvs-14 housing kit from UNV tonight, then save for a couple weeks and try to find an mx10160 or mx11769/uv ... but maybe I should just be patient and save until I find one on EE complete and ready to go
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Ordered my housing kit from UNV...
Missed out on a milspec omni vi mx10160 for $650 with medium blem spot in outer zone 2.
I kept trying to haggle on price and someone swooped in on it
Spent all night and allday ocd obsessing over getting it too
Oh well, I got the new housing kit coming and going to throw some crap on ebay to fund a tube.

I have a PASGT helmet that im thinking about trimming into a high cut. Then add some side rails.

So whats my cheapest mounting option thats decent?
I think im just going to go with rhino II ...its cheap and plentiful right?
Can you guys help me with a list of what I need to get this mounted?

Shroud, rhino II, j-arm.... is that it?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top