Get both.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

...Get both?
Get both.
Don't overthink it, just use what you shoot well with.  I've won 3 night vision courses, and I use some of the least expensive equipment out there.  The 3x magnifier is your friend, use it on your helmet or rifle, whichever you are more comfortable with.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Working on it, would love to be there!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When are you going to honor us with your presence?

Then we can show you what's worked for us and learn what's worked for you.
Working on it, would love to be there!
Cola Warrior Classic

August 24-26 is the championship event. I'm sure @RustedAce wouldn't mind some TNVC people in attendance.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:27:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep, so which of y'all is coming to run the night course? I saved a spot.
View Quote
Unrelated, but how physically demanding is Cola Warrior? I do a ton of backpacking and such, but I've never done any of the extreme physical challenges (tough mudder, ect) and would probably be embarrassingly bad at it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Unrelated, but how physically demanding is Cola Warrior? I do a ton of backpacking and such, but I've never done any of the extreme physical challenges (tough mudder, ect) and would probably be embarrassingly bad at it.
View Quote
Its super easy.  I am old and have won a few.  won the first one I showed up to.  Bunch of fat neck beards doing frat boy antics.

If you back pack, you'll rule.  Show up and grab yourself a free geissele upper.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
How much do you shoot under stress?

How confident that your gear won't malfunction when you really do things that will MAKE it malfunction?

How often do you do things with a bunch of people heckling you to fail?

These are the things you need to ask yourself.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How much do you shoot under stress?

How confident that your gear won't malfunction when you really do things that will MAKE it malfunction?

How often do you do things with a bunch of people heckling you to fail?

These are the things you need to ask yourself.
View Quote
Don't listen to this guy.

Super easy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#10]
So this cola warrior thing is not airsoft?  I honesty thought it was a bb gun war......
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So this cola warrior thing is not airsoft?  I honesty thought it was a bb gun war......
View Quote
No, it has real guns and everything.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
basically it is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Haha, oh lord. No, it's a very real obstacle course and shooting competition unlike any other competition anywhere. It's a lot of fun and a lot of suck all piled in one. You'll see a range of guys from active duty real life war fighters to regular office dudes. And every day is Thursday at Cola Warrior.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was 3 weeks post op knee surgery this year and did fine.  A normal somewhat healthy person would have no issues.  Now depending on the location I hear the shooting can test you.  Both of the west events are uphill climbs to shoot so you get a nice heart pump going and then have to shot 500 yards with a 20+ crosswind
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's FEMA Urban Combat Training
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's FEMA Urban Combat Training
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, so which of y'all is coming to run the night course? I saved a spot.
Meet me at the OK run n gun and I can get you up to speed on the 6 mile course. I'll bring a spare radio in case we get separated.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#20]
@phurba might have some advice as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I see what you did there!

Can we here more of the NV course work and what gear load-outs most are using? Would like to see this thread stay technical as this is a "technical forum".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meet me at the OK run n gun and I can get you up to speed on the 6 mile course. I'll bring a spare radio in case we get separated.
I see what you did there!

Can we here more of the NV course work and what gear load-outs most are using? Would like to see this thread stay technical as this is a "technical forum".
I typically add a TorchPro for illumination at longer ranges and a 3x magnifier is very useful unless you have something clipon.
Unfortunately I can't post pics of my set up this year just yet, but here's an older pic.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can't remember if he was the one who set the torch down or had it mounted to the rifle.

But, uh, my memory can't be trusted. It was all very fuzzy at CWE4 at night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a pic of your rig? I was wondering how you turn on your OTAL and IR light at the same time
I can't remember if he was the one who set the torch down or had it mounted to the rifle.

But, uh, my memory can't be trusted. It was all very fuzzy at CWE4 at night.
I have a torch on my rifle (with a surefire click tailcap, I don't like the twist type on a rifle mounted light) and during the pistol portion I set my rifle on the ground and pointed it at the polish rack.

Did the same thing at west II but it wasn't really necessary out there. Wasn't a ton of ambient light but enough that the pistol targets were easy to find. At east the trees really knock down the ambient light.

I don't have a remote for it or my cqbl as so far I have only used them at competitions and events where ir light discipline wasn't an issue. They get turned on when I start shooting and turned off when I'm done.

I've never been to classic, but texas, georgia, and Virginia are extremely doable with a civilian laser, illuninator, and helmet mounted pvs14. West... I know people have cleaned the rifle course with that setup, but I am not among their number. Hitting plates at 400 yards with a laser in the wind is currently well above my pay grade.

I haven't had a ton of opportunity to shoot in the dark outside of cw events so I barely know what constant offset is. I'm considering a rifle mounted thermal or ir clip on for the next west.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd just do what I usually do if I were you. It's going to suck either way. Might as well suck at everything else while being in your comfort zone gear wise. Might also want to get yourself acclimated to puking. That goes for both the timed run and the after party.

But seriously, it was my experience playing with other peoples gear at Cola Warrior that lead me to nods.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah Cola Warrior is a great place to check out different sets of NODs.

It will also now be a nice place to check out a MAWL-C1 as TNVC is sending one as prize for first place Night run and sending down a victim.....ahem contestant to run night as well!

https://tnvc.com/shop/b-e-meyers-mawl-c1-ir-visible-laser/

http://i.imgur.com/zioo4SN.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But seriously, it was my experience playing with other peoples gear at Cola Warrior that lead me to nods.

It will also now be a nice place to check out a MAWL-C1 as TNVC is sending one as prize for first place Night run and sending down a victim.....ahem contestant to run night as well!

noice!

i will attend a CW someday.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
noice!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

noice!

Quit being a fgt and stop saying 'someday'. I'm sure you know someone who is travelling near you to the competition.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quit being a fgt and stop saying 'someday'. I'm sure you know someone who is travelling near you to the competition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

noice!

im pretty sure iwouldntknow anyone who would be traveling near me..... plus i need to get into shape, other than round... and need to build up another set of MOD3's... but this time with better tubes.  and get a better laser.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

im pretty sure iwouldntknow anyone who would be traveling near me..... plus i need to get into shape, other than round... and need to build up another set of MOD3's... but this time with better tubes.  and get a better laser.
View Quote
excuses
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who needs "in shape" when you have wizard eyes?

On topic, what sort of IR devices are seeing success with handguns at CW?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
@scaryblackguns

Wanna give this guy a ride?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

x400v-ir rules over all. Several people have used 6SMs with a variety of NV-compatible optics, but I've always had a hard time using the dot with my helmet-mounted PVS14.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

x400v-ir rules over all. Several people have used 6SMs with a variety of NV-compatible optics, but I've always had a hard time using the dot with my helmet-mounted PVS14.
View Quote
Gross. X300V and CT-IR
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Let me preface this with I am the last person you should ask for advice on wizardeyeing CW, my last place or damn near finishes prove that.

CWW2 I used a PVS14 on a helmet with a CQBL on my rifle and a x400v on my pistol and couldn't see or hit shit. CWW3 I had a set of Anvis on my helmet with a CQBL on my rifle and an x400v on my pistol and the fucking x400v broke off and I couldn't see or hit rifle targets but could clearly see the pistol targets, I just couldn't aim at them. (seeing a pattern here?) Now I have a Clipon NVG for my CWAR, at my current rate of progression, I should take 3rd from last at CWW4. lol.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've got a DBAL-PL on a 6sm with a T1 on top of the mount, but I'm not happy with how the DBAL-PL doesn't hold zero if it takes a tumble down the stairs, so I'm considering swapping it to a Streamlight TLR-2 IRW that I've got sitting unused currently. ETA: I'm considering swapping it out because on top of the loss-of-zero problem, I dislike how the white light button is so close to my right index finger when shooting.

Some people have luck with just an x400-v, others have luck with a slide-mounted RDS and a handheld light dropped on the ground.

Here's some horrible gen2 NV pictures of Phurba shooting pistol:

And one without NV:
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It will also now be a nice place to check out a MAWL-C1 as TNVC is sending one as prize for first place Night run at Classic and sending down a victim.....ahem contestant to run night as well!

View Quote
Stupid question coming: Does the "night run" mean doing the obstacle course under NODS only? Or what all does that involve exactly?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Stupid question coming: Does the "night run" mean doing the obstacle course under NODS only? Or what all does that involve exactly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will also now be a nice place to check out a MAWL-C1 as TNVC is sending one as prize for first place Night run at Classic and sending down a victim.....ahem contestant to run night as well!

Yep, no white light from runner, timer, or spectators.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Let me preface this with I am the last person you should ask for advice on wizardeyeing CW, my last place or damn near finishes prove that.

CWW2 I used a PVS14 on a helmet with a CQBL on my rifle and a x400v on my pistol and couldn't see or hit shit. CWW3 I had a set of Anvis on my helmet with a CQBL on my rifle and an x400v on my pistol and the fucking x400v broke off and I couldn't see or hit rifle targets but could clearly see the pistol targets, I just couldn't aim at them. (seeing a pattern here?) Now I have a Clipon NVG for my CWAR, at my current rate of progression, I should take 3rd from last at CWW4. lol.
View Quote
Failure is the foundation upon which success is built. I learn a lot from studying other people's failures. Your input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#40]
CWW got me into nods and inhavent looked back since :-) i cant wait for the next cww to shoot at night with my nods. I hope to have bino set up. Inhave a mono pvs14 right now
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
CWW got me into nods and inhavent looked back since :-) i cant wait for the next cww to shoot at night with my nods. I hope to have bino set up. Inhave a mono pvs14 right now
View Quote
I think I'm nearing the end of the rabbit hole after 4 years of CW....
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh, so you have dual white phosphor with clip on thermal?

The rabbit hole has no end
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In that case, no need for extra batteries!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, from the rules:

"Night run only: 5 minute penalty for light ND, 10 minute penalty for prolonged use."
@LocoEngineer
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
@LocoEngineer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, from the rules:

"Night run only: 5 minute penalty for light ND, 10 minute penalty for prolonged use."
@LocoEngineer
Extra batteries in the stock makes it so that won't happen again, haha
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Oh, so you have dual white phosphor with clip on thermal?

The rabbit hole has no end
View Quote
Well all i need is a small handheld thermal.
Waiting on the q14b to drop and ill be all set.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I used a X400V IR-C and PVS-14 for the pistol portion at CWW3, it got me a 6 second mount for the Glock. The AR has an OTAL, but I use a PVS-22 in front of TA-31RCO. I also have a SPIR for illumination, but it had problems.

It took me a while to get all the ninja shit turned on and adjusted this year, next year I'm turning everything on and getting it focused before throwing it in the tub. I want to replace the OTAL and SPIR with the single spectrum DBAL.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I used a X400V IR-C and PVS-14 for the pistol portion at CWW3, it got me a 6 second mount for the Glock. The AR has an OTAL, but I use a PVS-22 in front of TA-31RCO. I also have a SPIR for illumination, but it had problems.

It took me a while to get all the ninja shit turned on and adjusted this year, next year I'm turning everything on and getting it focused before throwing it in the tub. I want to replace the OTAL and SPIR with the single spectrum DBAL.
View Quote
Thanks.  Your run was impressive and disconcerting to watch without NODs.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Running past the turn around didn't help me either, and I had NODs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took off without the peep
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top