Projected price point?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Any chance for FDE versions again?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool, I would like to hear more. There is some pre order pricing on a few sites showing a price of around 1,100 per unit. That is too bad if true because with the correct switching, this would be a hit at 7-800 per unit. Any more than that, I am better off waiting for a crimson trace IR grip and a V series SF.

I get that some NV accessories (lasers) need to be expensive ($600 is expensive to many of us), but unless this is as ground breaking as the MAWL (which I still think is overpriced by $500), it won't be worth it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Very telling comment about the application for home-defense/CQB in general.  This seems to imply that full-power military lasers can be too much for close combat distances.  Either in weight/bulk, or laser power.  I've always wanted one, just cuz, but now I think having a civvy-power unit would be better suited to civilian self-defense.

And agreed, if you could get a <800.- price point, you'd have a nice niche.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very telling comment about the application for home-defense/CQB in general.  This seems to imply that full-power military lasers can be too much for close combat distances.  Either in weight/bulk, or laser power.  I've always wanted one, just cuz, but now I think having a civvy-power unit would be better suited to civilian self-defense.

And agreed, if you could get a <800.- price point, you'd have a nice niche.
View Quote
I think the statement about having to adapt long-gun lasers was more about their size/form factor/activation than about the power rating, even with rails, mounting an ATPIAL to a breaching shotgun, or MP5, or MP7A1 isn't the super-easiest thing to do, and the controls may not be in very convenient locations, e.g., the CQBL-1 was designed for an MP7A1 application.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#7]
If steiner wants this thing to take off, it needs to be sub 800 msrp. Secondly, they need to pair up with a major holster manufacturer like safariland to build duty type holsters for pistols with these dbals on them.

Both of the above need to happen or this will die off faster than it can hit the shelves.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
So, this has the new buttonology, right?  Same button features on the left and right?  This is the one that we have been waiting for?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, this has the new buttonology, right?  Same button features on the left and right?  This is the one that we have been waiting for?
View Quote
I see that it has a big VIS button on one side from the pictures, so I figure it's still separate functions. It probably has 2 tape switch ports that mimic the button functions.

Really wish they had just used a selector like all their other lasers & made it so the buttons have the same function on both sides. At this point it just looks like a DBAL PL with tape switch compatibility, still no function for "Laser only IR/Laser+illum IR/ etc..".
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:18:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I see that it has a big VIS button on one side from the pictures, so I figure it's still separate functions. It probably has 2 tape switch ports that mimic the button functions.

Really wish they had just used a selector like all their other lasers & made it so the buttons have the same function on both sides. At this point it just looks like a DBAL PL with tape switch compatibility, still no function for "Laser only IR/Laser+illum IR/ etc..".
View Quote
Well, think about it this way. If there were a TAPS switch that had two Steiner plugs, you could use one button on the TAPS remote for VIS, and one button for IR. To me, that would be ideal.

I mean, I don't plan on getting one of these just yet, but it makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#11]
To follow up on what Augee said, I think just about any general purpose rifle or pistol could benefit from a reduced weight/bulk component, but especially within the context of a SBR or pistol for CQB.  Since this is really the sweet spot for civilian home defense use, it also applies to most of us civilians.  Within this context, and lucky for us, the civilian legal leasers, well, really shine.  As much as I would love a full power laser, it would probably spend the vast majority of it's time on a low power setting.  

But not to hijack, go Steiner.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
TAPS switch won't fix the fact that the on board switches suck for pistol use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, think about it this way. If there were a TAPS switch that had two Steiner plugs, you could use one button on the TAPS remote for VIS, and one button for IR. To me, that would be ideal.

I mean, I don't plan on getting one of these just yet, but it makes sense.
TAPS switch won't fix the fact that the on board switches suck for pistol use.
Even the updated switchology ones?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top