Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2017 3:13:58 PM EDT
Talking to a guy (via the internet) who is looking to sell his D300 bought from TNVC.  I have & use gen 3 stuff, thermals, etc and this would be a loaner for friends.  How does one of these compare?  I'm guessing the gen 2 stuff doesn't have data sheets?  

Thoughts on that model?

What are used ones going for?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Talking to a guy (via the internet) who is looking to sell his D300 bought from TNVC.  I have & use gen 3 stuff, thermals, etc and this would be a loaner for friends.  How does one of these compare?  I'm guessing the gen 2 stuff doesn't have data sheets?  Resolution and gain will fall short of current Gen 3 and even the newest Gen 2 offering from NGI or Armasight. It should be OK for navigating in all but the darkest open areas. Supplemental IR will help.

Thoughts on that model? I think this is a great loaner. It is hard to build into a complete system but as a stripped helmet mounted MNVD I think it's a good unit.

What are used ones going for? I don't know.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never looked thought a D300, but I do have a autogated Gen2+ PVS-14 from Night Ops Tactical. In general Gen 2+ can rival some Gen3 tubes in clarity and brightness in an urban, moon/star lit night. Where Gen2+ will not do so well is under a heavy tree canopy, dark corners, or a dark warehouse without the use of supplemental IR light. Usually they will not come with spec sheets, but you can send them out to have it done if you really want to know. Looking through the tube will give you an idea if it's a good buy or not vs a data sheet.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never looked thought a D300, but I do have a autogated Gen2+ PVS-14 from Night Ops Tactical. In general Gen 2+ can rival some Gen3 tubes in clarity and brightness in an urban, moon/star lit night. Where Gen2+ will not do so well is under a heavy tree canopy, dark corners, or a dark warehouse without the use of supplemental IR light. Usually they will not come with spec sheets, but you can send them out to have it done if you really want to know. Looking through the tube will give you an idea if it's a good buy or not vs a data sheet.
View Quote
How does the Gen 2+ PVS-14 do in urban areas in dynamic lighting? I have found Gen 2 to wash out badly in brighter areas. Ultimately you can lift the NOD but in a dynamic situation you may not want to/be able to do so.

In a relaxed "loaner unit" role for the OP this probably is not a concern.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]
These use the old PVS-5 tubes. Good tubes, but not a shadow on Gen3 now. They lack resolution, but work well enough  down to brighter starlight levels - they won't cope with overcast starlight at all though.

Better than Gen1 by a long shot, and will give a good image most of the time, but if you need something capable under all lighting conditions, then secondhand Gen3s are pretty cheap now.

As with everything, the cost being asked for it is the key part of the question. Around $500 is probably around where you might pay now, depending on condition. At a couple of hundred, it's a bargain. I assume it's somewhere in the middle?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How does the Gen 2+ PVS-14 do in urban areas in dynamic lighting? I have found Gen 2 to wash out badly in brighter areas. Ultimately you can lift the NOD but in a dynamic situation you may not want to/be able to do so.

In a relaxed "loaner unit" role for the OP this probably is not a concern.
View Quote
I live in a typical city and my Gen2+ does not wash out with street light, it preforms very close to Gen3 with the typical halo/streaking from bright lights. Since it's autogated I'm not to concerned with damaging the tube in a dynamic situation should I have to go "Full Tilt Boogie" when the zombies attack. If I get time next week I'll make a thread and post some pics of what it looks like through my NODs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one back in the day. Video i made with a cell phone in typical suburbia. Out in the country or deep in the woods an illuminator is definitely needed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dblEaK2JDSM
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info all, think I'm going to pass on this one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah that's my d300 lol!!!!  The descriptions in this thread nail the abilities of the optic.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I live in a typical city and my Gen2+ does not wash out with street light, it preforms very close to Gen3 with the typical halo/streaking from bright lights. Since it's autogated I'm not to concerned with damaging the tube in a dynamic situation should I have to go "Full Tilt Boogie" when the zombies attack. If I get time next week I'll make a thread and post some pics of what it looks like through my NODs.
View Quote
Regarding night vision equipment, a good description from an experienced end user beats photos every time. I am looking forward to seeing how your tube compares against my early Gen 2 and Gen 3 tubes. I am particularly interested in how your unit reacts to bright point light sources in a dark background and transitioning to a bright environment.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:14:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had one back in the day. Video i made with a cell phone in typical suburbia. Out in the country or deep in the woods an illuminator is definitely needed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dblEaK2JDSM
View Quote
this vid is identical on how well my gen2+ performs and how clear it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top