Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2017 8:02:28 PM EDT
Need to know which one(s) will for sure work.  Going to rifle-mount the laser.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that was covered in your last post?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#2]
any laser will work with a thermal scope in that you can use them conjointly as separate sighting systems. However, there isn't a laser you can see THROUGH thermal that I'm aware of unless it was so hot that it was a weapon in and of itself. 
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
any laser will work with a thermal scope in that you can use them conjointly as separate sighting systems. However, there isn't a laser you can see THROUGH thermal that I'm aware of unless it was so hot that it was a weapon in and of itself. 
View Quote
This pretty much covers it.  If a laser dot is warm enough to show up on thermal, the person or animal will know it is being lased and react accordingly, thus destroying the best advantage of thermal... nothing knows that you are out there looking at them in the pitch black.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
No uncooled Vanadium Oxide microbolometer in the world operates in the NV near IR wavelengths of 800-950 nanometers. They all operate in mid-wave IR of 7.5-15 microns.

Since 1 nanometer is exactly 1/1000th of a micron, your basically completely SOL.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll burn your eye out, kid.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:00:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:09:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think that was covered in your last post?
View Quote
+1

If you want a different answer then you are going to need to ask a different group. We are going to keep saying the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Need to know which one(s) will for sure work.  Going to rifle-mount the laser.
View Quote

Trying to figure out exactly what you're trying to accomplish here.

As everyone has mentioned, you can't see the laser beam/spot with a thermal scope the way you can with ii (image intensification) NIR (Near InfraRed) NODs (Night Observation Devices). Not unless the beam had enough power to heat up the target, in which case, a live target would obviously notice.

What you CAN do is mount an IR/NIR laser on a rifle that has a thermal scope and sight align them both so you can lase targets for buddies with NIR but not thermal eg. to point out piggies in brush or cover that may not be easily visible, and potentially overlooked with NIR NODs alone (the thermal will highlight any warm blooded mammal that could be hard to see with image intensifiers).

When your buddies with NIR know where to look from you lasing the piggies, they can zero in on the movement.

Max
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I want a laser rifle
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I want a laser rifle
View Quote
Yeah, a 15,000 watt laser rifle that cuts through 1/2" T-500 steel like butter!

I'm sure I'd be able to see that one in action with any of my 30 different thermal instruments.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Trying to figure out exactly what you're trying to accomplish here.

As everyone has mentioned, you can't see the laser beam/spot with a thermal scope the way you can with ii (image intensification) NIR (Near InfraRed) NODs (Night Observation Devices). Not unless the beam had enough power to heat up the target, in which case, a live target would obviously notice.

What you CAN do is mount an IR/NIR laser on a rifle that has a thermal scope and sight align them both so you can lase targets for buddies with NIR but not thermal eg. to point out piggies in brush or cover that may not be easily visible, and potentially overlooked with NIR NODs alone (the thermal will highlight any warm blooded mammal that could be hard to see with image intensifiers).

When your buddies with NIR know where to look from you lasing the piggies, they can zero in on the movement.

Max
View Quote
This is reasonable. At this point the laser is strictly being used as a pointer for the team and not as an aiming reference for the user.

I don't think this is what the OP is doing, though, because he never mentioned a team. Besides, at that point, the compatibility has nothing to do with the OP's TI - the compatibility issue at that point is with the team mates I2 devices, which were also not mentioned.

You could be on the right track, though. Maybe the OP has some larger system into which he is trying to incorporate the laser that he has failed to mention, thereby tossing all of us off of the track. OP?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quantum Cascade Lasers are proven visible in uncooled microbolometer imagers.
This work from 2006 gives some background.
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a462655.pdf

Since 2006, QCL devices have matured significantly and are found in many devices.

Google up a QCL that fits the bill for use with commercial, LWIR thermal imagers, post the info here, and make a few bucks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#16]
When you build the cryogenic cooler for your weapon mounted QCL laser, be sure to build it big enough for instant cool down of dead hogs in the field too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:25:59 AM EDT
[#17]
No cryo-cooling needed, Skypup. This is 2017.

http://www.daylightsolutions.com/defense-and-security/def-products/
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Even better yet is just buy any simple NV scope, all the IR lasers in the world will become self-evident!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I seriously doubt that Daylight Solutions would sell a commander's pointer stated to be for marking targets for his troops who are viewing through LWIR and MWIR thermal gear when that pointer would be visible to any commercial I squared NVG or to any lesser workaround for detecting near-visible IR radiation.
If the capability to paint targets for "normal" (or even the extended-spectrum) I squared NVG equipment is available in the Comtac , it is not mentioned in the product description.

Because the ad is as typically brief as all the available ads of this breed are, we are left to speculate about what is not mentioned. So all we can assume is the pointer emits laser energy visible only to LWIR and MWIR thermal equipment.

Daylight Solutions is an interesting company that makes laser products with wavelengths in the 4-12 µm range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top