Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2017 8:39:21 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting the Flir Scout TK.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If the FLIR happens to be sensitive to the correct wavelength, and there is enough atmospheric scattering present or you are in position to observe the beam painting a surface, yes.

Same as for a visible light laser, basically - if it's misty or foggy enough, or you're in position.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Not an answer to your question but..
I know that Lasermax and some other company made prototype thermal aiming lasers. I think the technical term is Thermal Collimated Aiming Device. No idea of theres anything like that available commercially..
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do not possess the doctorate in astrophysics that my earlier ^^ peers clearly have, but my answer is NO.

That's based off looking through both Pulsar and IR-Defense thermal scopes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
No ... long ago there was discussion on here regarding a DoD RFP which was suggested might be intended to develop a portable aiming laser for thermal ... but it was also guaranteed to go "black" and not see the light of day for a couple of decades.

All you need is a laser capable of creating a sustained +40 degrees Centigrade temperature increase on any surface it might illuminate.  There are some plane and ship based systems capable of doing it but they are also designed to be offensive weapons in their own right.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not an answer to your question but..
I know that Lasermax and some other company made prototype thermal aiming lasers. I think the technical term is Thermal Collimated Aiming Device. No idea of theres anything like that available commercially..
View Quote
The CTAL http://defense.lasermax.com/Products.aspx
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
No, atleast not like you see it under NV.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Would you be able to see the surface reflection of one of those "wicked laser" brand lasers? The most powerful ones will instantly light a match, or burn/etch wooden or plastic surfaces.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#9]
How were / are you gonna mount the flir?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL, your totally SOL, visible or NV IR lasers are not seen with any uncooled VOx  microbolometer, your out in space by about a factor of 15,000X.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#11]
As per the earlier links, any thermal collimated aiming device will work if the target has sufficient emissivity. They are optimised to reflect off of clothing and bare skin. You won't see the beam in the air. 

I don't think TCADs of any kind are publicly available yet, but I could be wrong.

David. 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Deleted
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Rest assured they exist.

Rest assured we won't see them for a LONG time.  

Just assume the government, in certain instances, has, an uses, technology up to decades more advanced than what they let us see.

And yes, I know this for a fact.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's the wavelength of the laser?
What's the wavelength of the monocular?
If they overlap, yes, you can see the laser through scattering or reflection.
If they don't overlap, then will the laser generate enough heat in the wavelength the monocular uses?  Probably not.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Since the OP is running two identical threads in the same forum, I recommend we let this thread die and redirect any traffic from this thread to his other thread so we don't plug page 1:

"Trying to find a laser that will work with a thermal scope"
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Since the OP is running two identical threads in the same forum, I recommend we let this thread die and redirect any traffic from this thread to his other thread so we don't plug page 1:

View Quote
what a geek
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

what a geek
View Quote
Probably shouldn't annoy the guy who knows more than God about NV. There are a couple here but why annoy any of them.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
what a geek
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what a geek
I was only trying to get everyone that is trying to answer your question on the same thread. For future reference, that is what is called a favor.

If you want to do what we think you want to do then it is probably impossible with equipment that is available to you. Asking more times in the same forum will not change reality.

If our guidance is not appreciated then I suggest you try the General Discussion forum. They'll get you sorted.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Rest assured they exist.

Rest assured we won't see them for a LONG time.  

Just assume the government, in certain instances, has, an uses, technology up to decades more advanced than what they let us see.

And yes, I know this for a fact.
View Quote
This perspective is actually incorrect. Most of the technology that is deployed is well known about, and it was about 5 years ago I wrote about the thermal collimated technology in detail. It was in development for about 5 to 10 years before that, but hadn't progressed much further. 

Same with Black Silicon - Except that stuff goes back to last century.

It's not that we don't hear about it because it's secret - Most of it's well known and I don't think anything much has popped up in the world of NV that hasn't been known, or was at least knowable and could have been figured out.

It's just that the government moves so slowly to recognize the benefit of such technology, then is slow to investigate and promote it's use, and finally, it takes about 5 years for it to reach a level of maturity that the product is openly available, simply because that all takes time. It's the development, not the secrecy, that kills availability of much technology.

Yes, some stuff they actually keep secret, but most new technology of it is published too, because that actually has more benefits than keeping it secret ironically. 

And sometimes, because of this, something new comes along and throws a spanner in the works when no one is expecting anything new. 
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Simple answer is No,
but with enough power to heat up the lased target(assuming you can keep the laser on the same spot) as the surface becomes heated then it will be visible.

Reason is different wavelengths, IR lasers 780-1064nm most common.
Thermal is Short Wavelength InfRared 1400nm-3000nm SWIR
Mid is 3000nm-8000nm  MWIR
Long is 8000nm-15000nm LWIR most civilian thermals are within this range

Night vision is within somewhere around 400- 980nm (Intens NV around 300-1200nm) so some IR lasers can be seen with NV but thermal emissions cannot.

Now when something gets heated to a point which it emits visible wavelengths then it can be seen.
First it will be seen by NV as the IR starts being emitted,
then as the temperature increases you will start to see a red glow.
As the temps get higher more colors are emitted until the object becomes white hot (reds greens and blues are emitted this makes white light).

But with one of these you have a thermal laser aiming device
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This perspective is actually incorrect. Most of the technology that is deployed is well known about, and it was about 5 years ago I wrote about the thermal collimated technology in detail. It was in development for about 5 to 10 years before that, but hadn't progressed much further. 

Same with Black Silicon - Except that stuff goes back to last century.

It's not that we don't hear about it because it's secret - Most of it's well known and I don't think anything much has popped up in the world of NV that hasn't been known, or was at least knowable and could have been figured out.

It's just that the government moves so slowly to recognize the benefit of such technology, then is slow to investigate and promote it's use, and finally, it takes about 5 years for it to reach a level of maturity that the product is openly available, simply because that all takes time. It's the development, not the secrecy, that kills availability of much technology.

Yes, some stuff they actually keep secret, but most new technology of it is published too, because that actually has more benefits than keeping it secret ironically. 

And sometimes, because of this, something new comes along and throws a spanner in the works when no one is expecting anything new. 
View Quote
deployed by who?  Operated by who?  Who outside of those involved are allowed to speak about it?

That's the key.

No offense. But this is what people who don't......see stuff.....say. At least the stuff other people see. And not everybody sees everything so it's not "what" is out there that's way ahead of what we know it's "how much" of it.  

There is stuff I've seen that I really wish I hadn't seen.

I'm done talking about this for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Simple answer is No,
but with enough power to heat up the lased target(assuming you can keep the laser on the same spot) as the surface becomes heated then it will be visible.

Reason is different wavelengths, IR lasers 780-1064nm most common.
Thermal is Short Wavelength InfRared 1400nm-3000nm SWIR
Mid is 3000nm-8000nm  MWIR
Long is 8000nm-15000nm LWIR most civilian thermals are within this range

Night vision is within somewhere around 400- 980nm (Intens NV around 300-1200nm) so some IR lasers can be seen with NV but thermal emissions cannot.

Now when something gets heated to a point which it emits visible wavelengths then it can be seen.
First it will be seen by NV as the IR starts being emitted,
then as the temperature increases you will start to see a red glow.
As the temps get higher more colors are emitted until the object becomes white hot (reds greens and blues are emitted this makes white light).

But with one of these you have a thermal laser aiming device
http://defense.lasermax.com/portals/4/ctal.jpg
View Quote
To add to the above, IF a 5mw nv laser were shined on 1 oz of water for one hour AND all the energy were to be absorbed WITH none lost to it's surroundings or reflection it would raise the temperature of the water by .017 degrees. I don't think that is enough to be detected by thermal nor are you going to be able to hold on a target for the hour or want to. Keep in mind that in the real world much of the energy will be reflected or absorbed by the waters surroundings.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

deployed by who?  Operated by who?  Who outside of those involved are allowed to speak about it?

That's the key.

No offense. But this is what people who don't......see stuff.....say. At least the stuff other people see. And not everybody sees everything so it's not "what" is out there that's way ahead of what we know it's "how much" of it.  

There is stuff I've seen that I really wish I hadn't seen.

I'm done talking about this for obvious reasons.
View Quote
... but oftentimes the cat is already out of the bag before the technology goes dark because the technology that is top secret is derived from research that was developed outside of government hands and the findings were published. A lot of technology never interests the government until after it is well on it's way to becoming tangible. There are a lot fewer "government scientists" than most people imagine. Most classified devices are built based on theories that were developed outside of classified corridors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top