Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2017 11:06:40 AM EDT
I have a gen 2 biocular, armasight NYX-7, I am pretty happy with the performance of them.  I do have a question though.  If I went to the same spec tubes would I notice , or gain anything, to going to the armasight n-15 binocular goggles?    Or if you have different experiences going from gen 3 biocular to binoculars has anyone noticed a huge difference justifying the cost?  Just trying to pick the hives brain a bit.  Optics planet just sent out a 15% off code for nv so of course I had to look and now the wheels are a turnin.  ??  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You're FOV won't grow any, but you'll gain depth perception which is handy for navigation.

However, I wouldn't buy the Armasight goggles, for that price you could get into a set of MOD3s or Sentinels from NightGoggles.com and have a bulletproof warranty and excellent customer service. Something optics planet kinda sucks at.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Along with depth perception you gain some image quality too, though probably mostly because of that said the depth - no longer bushes etc merge onto each other but you see them as separate and with more detail.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
However, I wouldn't buy the Armasight goggles, for that price you could get into a set of MOD3s or Sentinels from NightGoggles.com and have a bulletproof warranty and excellent customer service. Something optics planet kinda sucks at.
View Quote
I did not realize that these were in the same price bracket the Sentinel/MOD3 or I would have chimed immediately.

I've seen some pretty impressive stuff from Armasight - and also some stuff that is not very impressive. I would not roll the dice on it. The Sentinel/MOD3 choice is the road to go for duals in this price range. You never know what is inside an Armasight unit until you crack it open - U.S., European or Russian tubes. If you are spending that much money then get a unit with a pedigree from a cottage house like the site sponsors that will actually talk to you and can tell you what tubes are in your unit. The big box stores like OP don't care enough to tell you what is inside the unit. A cottage house will hand select tubes to your specifications.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, before you make a big purchase like this, revisit the concept of running a monocular. More is not always better. I can run pretty much whatever I want on my budget but I run a single PVS-14 because I WANT to - not because I cannot afford something else.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe stereopsis, binocular parallax, is the proper term about what you gain with duals versus a biocular, not full depth perception that's certainly true. Eye accommodation will stay at the point where your diopter is set, but even so the difference is massive at least for most people.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I admit, it's not true depth perception, but it is much better than one eye seeing or a split image to both eyes.

I was shot in the right eye with a BB gun as a youngster and spent 6 months unable to use it. I adapted over time to using mono-vision to assess depth and distance. Even as my vision came back to 20/20, I never lost that ability, almost 20 years later.

Using a PVS-14 over my dominant, left, eye I "perceive" depth. Over my right eye I miss things entirely. The first time I ever used duals, it was, almost, a life changing experience. There was no pause to assess and then move, it's immediate. I could tell if that dark spot was a hole or a rise, and could tell you exactly how far away something was, and touch it without the "old stretch your arm out until you're there" thing.

That's why I and many others refer to it as depth perception, even if it's not entirely accurate. But it's a hell of a lot better, to me, than fumbling around and not being able determine distance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top