Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2017 9:25:19 PM EDT
O.K. Gurus !

I got one of those fancy Wilcox lanyards and after looking at different photos on the net I
thought I would come here for advice.  

I thought about putting a split ring on the housing where the paracord would go thru.
My worry is breaking that part of the housing.

Open for input please !

THANKS !
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
O.K. Gurus !

I got one of those fancy Wilcox lanyards and after looking at different photos on the net I
thought I would come here for advice.  

I thought about putting a split ring on the housing where the paracord would go thru.
My worry is breaking that part of the housing.

Open for input please !

THANKS !
View Quote

I use that, a loop of Paracord or one of those fishing line connectors.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#2]
A good split ring from Ill Gear or County Comm does wonders to simplify getting the hook affixed. Are you fearing breaking the lanyard point installing the ring? It will definitely hang the MNVD's weight.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good split ring from Ill Gear or County Comm does wonders to simplify getting the hook affixed. Are you fearing breaking the lanyard point installing the ring? It will definitely hang the MNVD's weight.
View Quote
Definitely paranoid about breaking the lanyard point ....

Sounds like I should try it out !  " split ring "
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:51:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Where are you guys tying into on the helmet? I have my lanyard on the top center, but the cord blocks the IR illuminators, or the on/off switch. Has to be a better way.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a split ring on the paracord points on each side of my PVS-7. I clip a neck strap to those rings when I am not using a helmet and it hangs from my neck with no issues.Clip a lanyard on to one of those rings when helmet mounted.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I use stainless coated leader line and run it through the housing to the Jarm, then the Jarm to a TReigns lanyard.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where are you guys tying into on the helmet? I have my lanyard on the top center, but the cord blocks the IR illuminators, or the on/off switch. Has to be a better way.
View Quote
I remove the knob for the PVS-14 J-arm and replace it with a photography tripod D-ring. That puts the connection point at the very top when mounted over my left eye.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#8]
A YUGE thanks for the pointers so far ! Thank you !

If anyone else jumps in here please leave your input as well ......

Someone else may want the info in a search one day !  
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use a split ring on the paracord points on each side of my PVS-7. I clip a neck strap to those rings when I am not using a helmet and it hangs from my neck with no issues.Clip a lanyard on to one of those rings when helmet mounted.
View Quote
Damn !
I really like that idea !

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use stainless coated leader line and run it through the housing to the Jarm, then the Jarm to a TReigns lanyard.
http://i.imgur.com/QuRGINF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IuyKG7h.jpg
View Quote
This looks like a great option as well !

Question on the leader line.
Does it come in that length ?
" I haven't been in a tackle shop for awhile "

Someone else may see your pic. and wonder the same ......  
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
... or just use the exact same method when you use a helmet. There are more elegant ways to do this but this method works great for helmet or non-helmet use. Just make sure to use weak D-rings if you are engaged in dynamic activities for neck protection reasons.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I crimped them myself and everything can be found in the fishing department at Bass Pro. I also use leader line for retention lines for the lens dust cover and for Aimpoint battery and windage/elevation caps when factory rubber retention band breaks. Ill post a pic later...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I crimped them myself and everything can be found in the fishing department at Bass Pro. I also use leader line for retention lines for the lens dust cover and for Aimpoint battery and windage/elevation caps when factory rubber retention band breaks. Ill post a pic later...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks MunnyShot !

Look forward to checking out the pics. !

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Here are the pics

Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Is there a trick to crimping these things? I tried them out, my crimped loops broke before a similar sized plastic zip tie every time. I was using coated lead & don't have a crimping tool for sleeves this small. Edit- was using pliers to crimp them, I have a fair amount of experience with wire sleeve crimping in industrial use. I am guessing that the coating on the wire was preventing good contact.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:46:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I mentioned the D-ring earlier but failed to address helmet tie in: on an uncovered helmet I thread the para cord through the vents on the left side and tie at the rear.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is there a trick to crimping these things? I tried them out, my crimped loops broke before a similar sized plastic zip tie every time. I was using coated lead & don't have a crimping tool for sleeves this small. Edit- was using pliers to crimp them, I have a fair amount of experience with wire sleeve crimping in industrial use. I am guessing that the coating on the wire was preventing good contact.
View Quote
I used a Klein electrical terminal wire crimper (1006), AFW 60lb camo coated leader wire and AFW #4 black single barrel crimps. Bass Pro has another brand of wire/crimps and fishing wire crimpers at a lower price point. When crimping be sure that the tail end is at the edge of the barrel when you make your crimp. Also crimp in the center of the barrel.

Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I used a Klein electrical terminal wire crimper (1006), AFW 60lb camo coated leader wire and AFW #4 black single barrel crimps. Bass Pro has another brand of wire/crimps and fishing wire crimpers at a lower price point. When crimping be sure that the tail end is at the edge of the barrel when you make your crimp. Also crimp in the center of the barrel.
View Quote
Damn, I have that exact same tool! So, I'm already fully equipped to make the fancy lanyards like yours and I just need the leader and ferrules?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn, I have that exact same tool! So, I'm already fully equipped to make the fancy lanyards like yours and I just need the leader and ferrules?
View Quote
Yes sir you are all set. just an  FYI to avoid wasting crimps I used a single strand and a total of 4 crimp sleeves where used to tether the Aimpoints battery housing and windage/elevation caps. This type of retention is also great for tethering gear to your helmet. I run a shock chord around the circumference of the helmet to tether a IR GloTube, StreamLight Sidewinder, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks MunnyShot for posting that up !

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I had some time this morning so I made myself a new lanyard point to replace the photography tripod D-ring screw that I have been using on the PVS-14 J-arm for lanyard retention.

So here we go:

1) I cut the head off of a 1/4-20 stainless steel bolt
2) I removed a section of thread so the shank free floats in the J-arm when installed
3) I drilled a hole in the unthreaded shank for a split ring
4) I deburred and finished
5) I installed a titanium nut on the threaded shank until it bottomed on the fatter threaded portion
6) I installed a titanium D-ring in the hole made for it
7) I installed it in the J-arm in place of the aluminum knob

I needed to work the length down a hair for it to fit the BladeTech case since it fits so snugly. The split ring is easier to manage without looking at it than the photography D-ring. This bolt cannot unexpectedly back out during use while I am using a  retractable lanyard because the constant tension keeps the bolt from working free.

I know that not everyone can do this but, if you can, it is a good solution. It keeps the lanyard untangled from the controls, etc. whether the MNVD is placed on the left or right eye.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks MunnyShot for posting that up !

View Quote
No problem. Ive learned a lot from this thread im more than happy to give back...

@Sot_Solutions Pics please if you get a chance....Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top