Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2017 12:16:41 AM EDT
I have a thermal scope on the way and was curious about any tips that help make it easier. Ive seen some people use a torch to heat up steel and also read something about using reflective tape as well, I also saw the bottom of a coke can used too and I assume that had the safe effect as the tape. Which I'm guessing just attracts the sun and makes it warm?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Large piece of cardboard with a hot hands stuck in the middle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:28:06 AM EDT
[#2]
reflective tape on a card board backing works pretty well.  If the target is tilted to reflect the sky, it will show up nice and cold.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:34:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I tape a hand warmer to the back of a paper target.  Behind the bulls eye.  I used to heat up 308 cases stuck in carboard but got tired heating the case and returning to the rifle.  Hand warmer works.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:35:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Tape pieces of tin foil to cardboard.  The tin foil will show up as very cold next to the cardboard.  

Corrugated plastic bandit signs work great as target stands for this too.  Just tape the foil to them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting, I didn't think it would show up cold. I was thinking the opposite.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is thermal targets out there as well. But a hand warmer taped to the center of the target always works.
View Quote

I like this way and it's probably the cheapest, but The handwarmer evenutally warms up the target to a significant degree and makes bullseye  larger over time.   At my range, it's 20 minutes shooting then 10 minute cease fire.   By the time I sit down to shoot, the heat signature is larger.   wish there was a smaller focal point of heat.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hadn't considered that, I have my own range so I pretty much do whatever I want.

Once you start getting hits on the target, depending on the model, you should be able to make adjustments.
View Quote

going to fold the hand warmer in half next time I go out to reduce signature before I tape it down.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]
 I zero all my hunting rifles in using a 50 yard zero. 

I have an IR hunter Mark 2, 35 mm,  playing around with the contrast and brightness settings, on a bright sunny day with the sun at my back shining brightly on the paper target,  I can make out the outline of the bold red center target of a Redfield rifle sight in target page. 

Or a small piece of black duct tape works well also. Anything darker than the white page of the target seems to work well at gathering enough heat to show up.  Beyond 50 yards I cannot see the target however. 

If I don't have the luxury of having bright sun to work with, you'll need to use some sort of artificial heat source for best or easiest results. 

Hand warmer, hex nut that's been heated with a torch, etc.  A bottle of cold water works well on a hot day for one shot. 
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:04:34 AM EDT
[#12]
When it's 90+ degrees out, I stuff a scrap of paper into an empty shell casing, then saturate it with butane from a lighter, brake cleaner, or anything else that will vapor off, then I stick that in the center of the target.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tape pieces of tin foil to cardboard.  The tin foil will show up as very cold next to the cardboard.  

Corrugated plastic bandit signs work great as target stands for this too.  Just tape the foil to them.
View Quote

+1 cut as big or as small of pieces as you want. Works excellent.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1 cut as big or as small of pieces as you want. Works excellent.
View Quote

alright.  I tried this once and wasn't sure I liked it.  I'm going to try it again,  but 6 inches up I'll have a hand warmer too     I'll give it a go and I've read where if you tilt the target up some it helps.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Interesting, I didn't think it would show up cold. I was thinking the opposite.
View Quote

Switch white hot/black hot.

This is what I use, still on my first roll
Linky
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When it's 90+ degrees out, I stuff a scrap of paper into an empty shell casing, then saturate it with butane from a lighter, brake cleaner, or anything else that will vapor off, then I stick that in the center of the target.
View Quote
Wonder if you could shove dry ice inside the empty case.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't do all that fancy stuff. I did have some 99 cent handwarmers that i would tape to the target, but i quit that cause i need them when my hands are cold!

All I do is get a piece of cardboard or cardboard box and a black magic marker. I color in a spot on the box and throw it down on the ground at my distance. Make sure the sun is behind you shining on the box. It heats up the black spot and shows it to the thermal. When you shoot wherever the bullet hits the box will glow for a second as the cardboard gets hot. I adjust till the glow is on the black spot. The glow is fast, so if you have a big recoil rifle, you may miss it. I shoot a 22 rimfire a lot with thermal. My ar is ok too,, but i can't watch the bullet hit when shooting my 308 bolt.

I can see targets thru my thermal that are printed with thick black lines just from the sun heating them up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top