Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2017 9:34:39 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I can't remember the answer to the question. Can a PVS14 hold up to the recoil on an AR 300 Blackout platform? I'm not actually planing on mounting one currently, but curious for future reference in case I want to give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe ok with subsonic ammo. Might not be a good idea with supersonic ammo. Honestly I just mount mine onto the helmet instead of the rifle. It's better that way. I can walk around and navigate a lot easier. Use an IR laser on my rifle for aiming.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#2]
.300blk supersonic doesn't kick any more than a hot loaded 5.56mm.

The thing is just a 5.56mm case cut back by 10mm and a .308 round stuffed in there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.300blk supersonic doesn't kick any more than a hot loaded 5.56mm.

The thing is just a 5.56mm case cut back by 10mm and a .308 round stuffed in there.
View Quote

Yes, it does, quite a bit more. 

Anyway, Subs = OK, but not supersonic. 

David. 
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the option of mounting mine.   I elected to get a weapons mounted laser instead and have been very happy.   That way I can use my helmet and device to walk around with.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the option of using a laser, as I already have my PVS14 helmet mounted in a dual setup. However, lasers aren't legal for hunting in my state.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:55:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

David. 
View Quote

I have shot both plenty and for the same barrel length I couldn't tell the difference. Now most .223 have longer barrels that make them heavier so they tend to kick less than the 300BLK that usually has a shorter lighter barrel.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have shot both plenty and for the same barrel length I couldn't tell the difference. Now most .223 have longer barrels that make them heavier so they tend to kick less than the 300BLK that usually has a shorter lighter barrel.
View Quote
The mass of the rifle and barrel does make a difference, but primarily it's a function of the chamber pressure.

Here's a past thread on the discussion.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/371716_PVS_14_with_300_AAC_Blackout_subsonic_and_supersonic_recoil.html

The recoil you perceive is not the same as the weapon shock that travels through the rifle. 

Regards
David. 
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok I'll clarify this once an for all.

An L3 OMNI 8 tubed PVS-14 can handle the recoil of 300blk/6.5G/6.8SPC/7.62x39
an ITT Harris Pinnacle Tube being a thinner film is recoil rated only to 5.56mm

While you can mount a PVS-14 on a rifle behind certain optics the system was designed to be worn on a helmet and works best in this configuration.
View Quote

Thanks for that info! But what about OMNI 7 tubes? I haven't made it to an 8 quite yet,
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#10]
To the argument above... yes 300BLK supersonic has more recoil than a 5.56
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

David. 

I guess the human shoulder isn't a precise scientific instrument. Having shot both, full and semi auto, I can say I can't really tell the difference but we're talking on tuned guns with optimized gas systems and buffers. But I can see that these things might have a subjective impact, but not really change the fact of the actual energy generated by the round.

Good info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top