Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2017 10:16:56 AM EDT
Looking to get a basic NV set up with IR laser

Saw on optics planet a Steiner OTAL-C 9056 and a Night Optics NM-300-S

Not looking to storm OBLs fort, just looking for some ability to see and point in the dark

I could get both for $1,300 using a coupon

Is this a decent start or should I just wait and save up for something better?

I saw some IR lasers are $1,300 alone.   I don't think I need this as it isn't something I am using every week, I just want to have the capability. And I do have plenty of coyotes near my house if they start to encroach
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Most Gen1 are worthless. With enough IR illumination you will see something, but you won't get any passive use out of it. Your eyes will see better when dark adapted. Cascaded Gen1, those that have 3 tubes in series, do have good gain, and making one yourself would be cheaper too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most Gen1 are worthless. With enough IR illumination you will see something, but you won't get any passive use out of it. Your eyes will see better when dark adapted. Cascaded Gen1, those that have 3 tubes in series, do have good gain, and making one yourself would be cheaper too.
View Quote
I was under the impression that the NM-300 was an Ambia style Gen. 2 Monocular.
Can the OP clarify?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought it was gen 2 as well

Hence my post.   I'm no expert
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that the NM-300 was an Ambia style Gen. 2 Monocular.
Can the OP clarify?
View Quote

Oh, in that case forget anything I said, except that Gen1 still sucks Gen2 is where it starts, no distortion and some passive use possible.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe the NM-300 scope is similar to the Ambia. It should be middle-of-the-road Gen 2 which means that you should be able to navigate most night environments without supplemental light. Supplemental light will make it work better in the darkest of conditions. Accessories are not nearly as abundant as for the PVS-14. If you want to weapons mount it there is a TNVC weapon ring for the D-300 that might fit. If you skip that then the other weapons mounts are a little clunky.

I would call it a good starter unit but it falls short compared to the newer Gen 2 units and almost all Gen 3.

What do you want it to do? If you need it to do everything then I would wait for a PVS-14. If you just need to navigate and shoot then this may be OK on most nights. Do not use the proprietary headmounts. Skip all of that and adapt to standard military helmet mounts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  Maybe I'll keep my eye out for a used pvs 14
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:32:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked up the NM-300-2S and the new holosun LS117IR laser from OP a few months ago.  In total the combo was 1260 and I got 0% financing with my amazon card.  I think it was a good budget buy.  I don't feel lacking really when I have been using it side to side with my friend's gen 3 pitbull.  The resolution isn't the best but it works fine until it gets really dark.  That's when the gen 3 runs away.  I don't regret it at all for the price.  It got me into the game and is helping me decide what I want to get down the road.  Then I'll probably just dedicate it as a rifle mounted optic or as a loaner.  I was able to pick up a used rhino II titanium mount and new usgi j-arm for around $60-80 on ebay.  

FYI the built in illuminator is pretty bright.  It does give off a red glow however.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I picked up the NM-300-2S and the new holosun LS117IR laser from OP a few months ago.  In total the combo was 1260 and I got 0% financing with my amazon card.  I think it was a good budget buy.  I don't feel lacking really when I have been using it side to side with my friend's gen 3 pitbull.  The resolution isn't the best but it works fine until it gets really dark.  That's when the gen 3 runs away.  I don't regret it at all for the price.  It got me into the game and is helping me decide what I want to get down the road.  Then I'll probably just dedicate it as a rifle mounted optic or as a loaner.  I was able to pick up a used rhino II titanium mount and new usgi j-arm for around $60-80 on ebay.  

FYI the built in illuminator is pretty bright.  It does give off a red glow however.
View Quote

And there in lies the problem. You get a taste and always end up wanting gen three. But you already dropped $1300 you could have put toward duals or a really really nice spec tube.

I learned this lesson too. Now I tell everyone to just buy gen three. At least 99.9% of the time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I started out with one of those. Wait and get gen 3.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#10]
The only regret you may have is that you can't see the coyotes with either the d300 or the pvs14.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top