Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2017 7:29:36 PM EDT
Hello, I'm highly anticipating the release of the new Q14 with the 12 micron boson core. I wasn't fortunate enough to get to attend shot show this year and wondered if any lucky forum members got hands on time with this unit? Initial impressions and opinions? Also, how did the Q14 compare to the new 17 micron core Pulsars with comparable resolutions? Which had better image clarity and quality? Thanks for any feedback and/or opinions any members can provide.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If I own an existing Q14, I wonder if I can send it in and have it upgraded to the new core, or how much of a difference it will make... :-)
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I own an existing Q14, I wonder if I can send it in and have it upgraded to the new core, or how much of a difference it will make... :-)
View Quote
Not a bad idea! Are you happy with the current version you have?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The size is outstanding. it is smaller and lighter than a PVS-14. It is super light and for a handheld spotter, I am satisfied with it. The software needs some improvements because at times it is hard to read the text as it blends into the background image, but i'm also on old firmware. I just haven't had the time to box it all up and ship it over for an update.

I have the 2x lens and the weapon mount, but I doubt I will ever use it weapon mounted, but who knows.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The size is outstanding. it is smaller and lighter than a PVS-14. It is super light and for a handheld spotter, I am satisfied with it. The software needs some improvements because at times it is hard to read the text as it blends into the background image, but i'm also on old firmware. I just haven't had the time to box it all up and ship it over for an update.

I have the 2x lens and the weapon mount, but I doubt I will ever use it weapon mounted, but who knows.
View Quote
Thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to the release of the new boson core model and seeing some field test and reviews.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Any word on price for the 640?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to the release of the new boson core model and seeing some field test and reviews.
Not much info out there yet. 640 Boson models are supposed to be available next month. 
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/tnadair/ARFCOM/B9A7C1DE-DCE7-4A62-88CA-8598EE73EB22_zpsk9ifrtsa.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/tnadair/ARFCOM/4258973C-2003-47DF-B333-EFB78C94770F_zpsszs5ukim.jpg
I love the size and price point for a 640 unit. Very interesting!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#9]

640 already? Nice.

I'll let some people get reviews out to decide, but I can see one in my future.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm definitely going to pick one of these up. I tend to use my FLIR and my Thor as a monocular as much or more than I did a rifle scope.  Being a X1  I wonder if 640 will offer $2000 more performance over the 320 version though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm definitely going to pick one of these up. I tend to use my FLIR and my Thor as a monocular as much or more than I did a rifle scope.  Being a X1  I wonder if 640 will offer $2000 more performance over the 320 version though.
View Quote
That's exactly what I was wondering. I'm really thinking that the 320 resolution unit with the 12 micron core may be more than adequate for my main use. For myself it would be used 90% of the time as a handheld spotter and scanner.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

320 is all you need for a lot of uses.  It works well and will, within typical shooting distances, give plenty of resolution for spotting and hunting.  But, once you look through a 640 you'll want a 640.  It's a much more enjoyable image.  As a tool, give me the 320 and a bunch of ammo.  As a hobby, give me the 640 and I'll work some OT for the ammo.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

320 is all you need for a lot of uses.  It works well and will, within typical shooting distances, give plenty of resolution for spotting and hunting.  But, once you look through a 640 you'll want a 640.  It's a much more enjoyable image.  As a tool, give me the 320 and a bunch of ammo.  As a hobby, give me the 640 and I'll work some OT for the ammo.
View Quote
 ive had x1 320 cores but all the 640 have had higher X. How does a X1 320 compare to a X1 640...
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I would love to see the new Boson 320 core vs the pulsar and thorHD with a 384 core.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#15]
The separate integrated video microprocessor in the Boson  is to die for!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The separate integrated video microprocessor in the Boson  is to die for!
View Quote

Are you talking about just the potential of the core or what FLIR is doing with it for consumer products? Their consumer products that I've seen to date are so minimalist, I have a hard time imagining that somehow they've turned over a new leaf and upcoming products will be totally feature laden. Armasight was way better in terms of features, but conforming to MIL-STD meant keeping them all strictly limited.

I am thinking something like the Scout III (or Scout IV?) with a Boson core, or a smaller footprint Zeus Pro with wifi, GPS and Bluetooth. I want lots of full color palettes, connectivity (for easily getting pictures/movies off the unit), range finding that doesn't require me to spend another $2,000, a useful mobile app, swappable rechargeable batteries and USER/FIELD upgradeable firmware. That's easily the biggest WTF for me regarding FLIR/Armasight. Having to send back a $7,000 camera to California for a firmware update?? YGBFKM.

I have zero doubt that FLIR is capable, but historically they just don't deliver those kinds of things.

As I said before, tell me you've seen the promised land and I'll be more than happy!  I really appreciate your efforts in keeping us all informed to the extent you can.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Boson core handheld and helmet mounted thermal scanners and thermal weapon scopes will be in consumers hands soon enough, not to mention mounted in vehicles, boats, drones, etc etc etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Wish theyd make a version that takes 18650 rechargables and cr123's with an adapter piece. The scouts are cool but without a rechargeable battery its problematic for my uses

Curious as to how big a difference the 12um is going to make for a unit of the same resolution.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wish theyd make a version that takes 18650 rechargables and cr123's with an adapter piece. The scouts are cool but without a rechargeable battery its problematic for my uses

Curious as to how big a difference the 12um is going to make for a unit of the same resolution.
View Quote

Totally agree. This CR123 business is silly. 18650s are awesome.

Personally, I don't so much care what the battery format is as long as it's user replaceable lithium ion or LiPo.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Don't hold your breath on 640 being available next month.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked up the battery pack for my Q14. It runs forever - well, it tuns long enough that I haven't killed it yet.. dual 18650's and the battery pack also has a video output adapter on it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I picked up the battery pack for my Q14. It runs forever - well, it tuns long enough that I haven't killed it yet.. dual 18650's and the battery pack also has a video output adapter on it.
View Quote

Sweet!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

640s scheduled for early fall.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Am I correct in thinking that OR defense/trijicon is going to have to drastically cut their prices to compete with FLIR boson devices.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Am I correct in thinking that OR defense/trijicon is going to have to drastically cut their prices to compete with FLIR boson devices.
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:39:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have zero doubt that FLIR is capable, but historically they just don't deliver those kinds of things.
View Quote

This is likely why they bought Armasight to begin with. They don't have the intellectual capital to hit this market. Small common sense things like the Flir RS being 100% reliant on an internal, irreplaceable rechargable battery just don't jive well with the intended market of their products... But they released it. Pulsar's new scopes went the rechargable battery route, but it's external, replaceable and works with a variety of battery adapters. Night and day different in the application of the theory.

Even the Armasight website now just redirects to FLIR's website and the sorting of equipment is all over the place, which I imagine isn't the best of things for international customers, and accessories are now mostly absent from the site. The previous Armasight website wasn't super well laid out either and needed a modern overhaul, but night vision monoculars not being present in the "Hunting" category but seen in the other 3 is just weird.

When the announced the purchase I was kind of hoping they'd just let Armasight do their thing, while forcing their industry improvements and aesthetic value on them (FLIR products always look 10/10 sexy)... Which we see in the new Q-14... but they are also making a few weird changes on the whole I don't understand.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think they are doing the opposite and are raising prices.

With FLIR/Armasight Boson and the new Pulsars looking to be very good and at good prices then the IR/Trijicon better be phenomenal in comparison to be increasing in price.

The REAP-IR, Pulsar Trail XP50 and the Boson 640 are the 3 I'm patiently waiting to see how they match-up and will buy what meets what I'm looking for in terms of image quality. So if IR/Trijicon and Pulsar produce a great image, then that will settle that, if they fall short, then I will buy a REAP-IR (hate that they are jacking up the price).
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow. I was weeks away from spending 8k on a thermal, but I think i'll wait for this one. Looks perfect for my needs, and half the price.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think they are doing the opposite and are raising prices.

With FLIR/Armasight Boson and the new Pulsars looking to be very good and at good prices then the IR/Trijicon better be phenomenal in comparison to be increasing in price.

The REAP-IR, Pulsar Trail XP50 and the Boson 640 are the 3 I'm patiently waiting to see how they match-up and will buy what meets what I'm looking for in terms of image quality. So if IR/Trijicon and Pulsar produce a great image, then that will settle that, if they fall short, then I will buy a REAP-IR (hate that they are jacking up the price).
View Quote

Pulsar's Helion and Trail have some great features like interchangeable objective lenses (there's a thought!), tons of battery pack options, 50hz refresh rate WITH a really long battery life, picture in picture, range finding, on board recording, wifi, user upgradeable firmware, the list goes on. All at what seems like a very competitive price point. I've looked at the REAP-IR as well. For 2X the money that shit better come with hookers and blow.

I guess it all comes down to what markets they are trying to serve. Maybe most go after the military/LE market primarily to win larger contracts. Maybe we need to start sorting out vendors and their products into those markets and not just with an absolute "who is best" approach.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#30]
1. So will the 640 q14  be 60hz ?

2. If you had the $ and mounts to do so, would it be effective to run 2  Q14's in a binocular config ?

3. Have there been any new videos post shot show on the q14 ?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

2. If you had the $ and mounts to do so, would be a be effective to run 2 of q14s in a binocular config ?

3. have there been any new videos post shot show on the q14 ?
View Quote

Be kinda pointless to run two in a binocular setup since they aren't made for navigating things like i2. No need for depth perception
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Flir needs to make the Thermosight RX boson core with different optical magnification options (2.5x, 4x) to get the variability / competition of the REAP IR and IR Hunter.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok here's my question.  I was getting ready to drop money on a Luepold thermal viewer and a ATN Thor 1.5X4 Thermal Scope.   Should I wait on this?  It don't seem to have a reticle to use for a weapon.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ok here's my question.  I was getting ready to drop money on a Luepold thermal viewer and a ATN Thor 1.5X4 Thermal Scope.   Should I wait on this?  It don't seem to have a reticle to use for a weapon.
View Quote

I'd wait regardless....with all the new stuff coming out, and at lower prices, it might be worth it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I own one of the ATN thorHD scopes and while it has been a reliable and great scope, I would wait for the Q14b to come out. Its small with a 10 year warranty on the core for $1800 sounds pretty good to me.

One online store had the thorHD 1.25x for $1694 the other day, but its back up to MSRP now. For that price you really can't go wrong with it tho...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#36]
what is the detection range on the Q14??????????
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

2. If you had the $ and mounts to do so, would be a be effective to run 2 of q14s in a binocular config ?

3. have there been any new videos post shot show on the q14 ?
View Quote

Boson's framerate is user-selectable so there shouldn't be any reason why this feature couldn't be available at the system level.  60Hz for fast moving scenes, switchable to 30Hz to conserve battery power.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:21:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Leupold LTR is only good for 100 yards per Vic from TNVC.

Do you mean the ThOR-HD384 1.25-5X ... or are you planning on buying an older Thor?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The Leupold LTR is only good for 100 yards per Vic from TNVC.

Do you mean the ThOR-HD384 1.25-5X ... or are you planning on buying an older Thor?
View Quote

Yes I mean the HD384 1.25x5X.  I was going to use the Leupold for spotting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top