Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2016 12:03:01 AM EDT
Pretty straight forward question for the most part: how quickly does thermal technology advance? Reason I'm asking is I'm looking to get into thermal and do not want to purchase a unit for 7-8k to be disappoint in how far behind the technology curve it is in a few years. That may be how quickly things move here, just like computers, and I very well my still make the purchase if it is at that rate but I just want to mentally prepare myself. I'd be looking at something like the Zeus 640 3-24 75mm 60hz...again hoping to stay a little above the curve if possible at all possible without completely breaking the bank
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Pretty straight forward question for the most part: how quickly does thermal technology advance? Reason I'm asking is I'm looking to get into thermal and do not want to purchase a unit for 7-8k to be disappoint in how far behind the technology curve it is in a few years. That may be how quickly things move here, just like computers, and I very well my still make the purchase if it is at that rate but I just want to mentally prepare myself. I'd be looking at something like the Zeus 640 3-24 75mm 60hz...again hoping to stay a little above the curve if possible at all possible without completely breaking the bank
View Quote

I doubt you will think like that in a few years. Say, 4-5 years down the line your 7k thermal is maybe worth 2-3k. Like you said, thermals are like computers in a way, unlike image intensifier tubes so they are bound to evolve fast.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  That's sort of that I was thinking from my brief research. Appears NV stays constant a little longer. Just like computers I know my technology won't get worse but compared to newer systems I would be convincing myself that my once 7k thermal is no longer acceptable compared to the newer better units....or maybe I'll just never look at new units again and be happy for 10 years!
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#3]
So going off my memory of uncooled thermal systems on the civilian market, back in the late 90's through the mid 00's 160 cores were what was generally available and considered standard/good and 320 core units were considered high(er) end. Late 00's to about now that changed so that increasingly 160 core units are considered low(er) end, 320 middle of the road and 640 high end. I expect in the next decade for 640 to become fairly common at a price point of where 320 core units are today, and some 1024ish detector units to start popping up on the high end of the civy market.

However, somewhere along the road you are bound to hit a point of increasingly diminishing returns when it comes to increasing core size. 160->320 is a pretty big improvement, the difference between looking through a 320 unit vs a 640 unit is "less" impressive IMO, and I imagine 640->1024 will be less impressive in terms of image quality when compared to the jumps at the low end of the spectrum. Sure it will look better, but it will increasingly be difficult to justify the cost differences.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]
That's true but the point is still far into the future as you can start to widen the FOV when the resolutuon really allows it without detoriating the image.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You might die next year too,,,,,
I'll wait to have kids when i can afford them,,,,,
Ect,ect,ect

That same question was in my mind until i bought a reap-ir. I am enjoying the hell out of it and glad i bought it. Even if tech jumps every year, i will use it anyway. It works well enough to own right now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Got an at the time Insight MTM back in 2009, still enjoying it today.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
It will be interesting to see for sure.
What I do know is that a MK3 60mm is able to see mice at 300yds, 1/4"  guide wires on cell towers at 600yds, and coyotes over a half mile away.    I suppose it can get better, but as of now there is absolutely nothing that hides from it well past my effective range.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Recently rented an ir patrol 640 I would have been disappointed if I had bought it for 6k
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Recently rented an ir patrol 640 I would have been disappointed if I had bought it for 6k
View Quote

It seems all about expectations. I'm generally amazed by pulsar 38, but then again I paid 1500 for it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It seems all about expectations. I'm generally amazed by pulsar 38, but then again I paid 1500 for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to try coti I think fusion would be the best application for me if I was a hunter I could see where a thermal scope has its place but I have been underwhelmed both times I tried thermal once with a pas13b that to me was totally unusable everything was blobs and this patrol(640) which was just ok but for $6000?

When I first put on my pvs14 it was mind blowing.....thermal not so much
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Lenses are expensive. That tech is not really changing.  The advantage of adding
Pixels is digital zoom
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I want to try coti I think fusion would be the best application for me if I was a hunter I could see where a thermal scope has its place but I have been underwhelmed both times I tried thermal once with a pas13b that to me was totally unusable everything was blobs and this patrol(640) which was just ok but for $6000?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, you are a hard man to impress ...
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lenses are expensive. That tech is not really changing.  The advantage of addingPixels is digital zoom
View Quote

Tech is going smaller to reduce cost of lenses, smaller cameras overall, and more detectors produced per wafer, lower power consumption as well.
Flir Boson core may impact thermal prices, but time will tell when it starts to be sold in the next few mths.
640 core $2k retail so thermal scopes should drop in price, but FLIR owns Armasight and Trijicon  owns IR Defense so times are changing.

Thermal high end units used resale price drop $1k per yr avg, low end units about $200-300 yr based on used market and how fast Seller wants it gone.

New thermal device prices are driven by what the latest and greatest to compete with.

12 micron cores are the latest and greatest for consumer market. Armasight Pro line came out non pro line dropped by thousands in price and still units are availiable at reduced prices. ATN unit 384HD under $2K NEW, with firmware updates released often.  Low end units like that cant drop much in price as market for used thermals is good, especially rifle scopes.

Overall buyers have options now that years back were +$10,000 for units that are out performed by a $2k unit today.
Thermal rules for critter detection 2 or 4 legged
Top Top