Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/7/2016 4:35:50 PM EDT
Hey guys, I ran across a pretty great deal for a DRS 640 core and 63mm lens setup that I just have to share with some like minded folks.   They are in the outlet section of "Sierra Olympic Technologies" website.  These guys sell all sorts of high end DRS thermal cores and such.  The unit that I'm talking about is the DRS E6000.  It's a 640x480 core 25um DRS sensor packaged with a 62mm lens all housed within a slick mountable waterproof and weather resistant housing.  It looks like they come with the cables, software, manual, etc and such required required to run them.  The only want $995 each and include a 90 day factory warranty.   I don't think you can get a 640 core anywhere else for that price much less getting a rather huge germanium lens (probably originally cost more than $1k by itself).  I bought 2 but I don't know how many more they have in stock..
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm fixing to buy one I think.  What are you going to mount it to?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Already ordered the 640 unit

Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I might mount it in some sort of pan/tilt gimbal that I can control remotely.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Already ordered the 640 unit

Thanks for the heads up!
View Quote

That's great you were able to take advantage of the deal! I wonder how many they have left in stock? I don't think they will last very long.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like my units are shipping today! I will post photos of everything that is included once they arrive for those people that might be interested.  I'm unsure whether or not a power supply is included.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I see some old press releases of these from back in 2006 or so. How does this core compare to some of the newer stuff on the market?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably good considering they were used on mil machines.
The software that comes with the unit will be the item that will
determine if all the info from the detector will look great or ok.
62mm athermalized lens is over $1k
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Probably good considering they were used on mil machines.
The software that comes with the unit will be the item that will
determine if all the info from the detector will look great or ok.
62mm athermalized lens is over $1k
View Quote

If you search YouTube for "E6000 thermal" there are 2 videos of how the image looks.  One is a drone video and one just looks like a person messing with it in his backyard.  I think the image looks pretty good and it appears you can do digital zoom and such through the GUI.

It appears that the military used this camera core for quite some time on the ScanEagle Drone/UAV platform.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have one in hand and care to report?  How was the video and power hook ups?  Any idea on weight?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone have one in hand and care to report?  How was the video and power hook ups?  Any idea on weight?
View Quote

I'm still waiting for my shipping confirmation.  I ordered 2 of them. I see weight says 700g according to one of the spec sheets I found for it.  That should put it right at around 1.5lbs.  Definitely not very lightweight, but not too bad considering the lens size and MilSpec waterproof enclosure

For reference a Tau 640 60mm weighs in at only 265g.  But I would doubt the tau is as robust and weatherproof as this unit.  For small quadcopter applications this might not be a great choice but if you are not using it in a airborne application the weight shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm still waiting for my shipping confirmation.  I ordered 2 of them. I see weight says 700g according to one of the spec sheets I found for it.  That should put it right at around 1.5lbs.  Definitely not very lightweight, but not too bad considering the lens size and MilSpec waterproof enclosure
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Help a brother out with a link to the spec sheet.  My google-fu is weak this AM.  Thanks for the reply above.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Would not be so sure it has digital zoom inside as it comes with a 12bit digital out and the output we saw with the drone looked like post processing and the zoom might be a part of it. In other parts of the video it told they are calibrating, which is a camera feature, would think they did that for the 2x zoom too if it was not done in software afterwards.

Awesome deal either way, wish it was this side of the pond!
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Would not be so sure it has digital zoom inside as it comes with a 12bit digital out and the output we saw with the drone looked like post processing and the zoom might be a part of it. In other parts of the video it told they are calibrating, which is a camera feature, would think they did that for the 2x zoom too if it was not done in software afterwards.

Awesome deal either way, wish it was this side of the pond!
View Quote

Yeah I'm guessing it must have an internal NUC shutter when it is "calibrating".  There is probably a automatic NUC mode and a manual NUC mode that you can configure via the GUI.  I would think that the GUI has the ability for the digital zoom.  But we shall see once I get them in hand.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Either way post processing via rs-170 capture card in a laptop will yield very good results.
I hope software has room for better adjustment for detail, the less post processing the better as you can hook up to analog
video monitor if settings stay programmed in core once you change them.

DRS has a 10 micron core they are using back in 2015 for mil applications
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is a user manual that I was able to obtain from IRCameras on this unit.  The rear connectors appear to be different on the Sierra Olympic variant but it does give a little insight to the pinout of the center connector as well as some serial commands

Manual
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#19]
That thing looks really interesting for the price but I wonder if it will fit inside a go light housing?  What other tilt pan remote control systems are available for something like this?

The digital output looks really clear in that video.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#20]
well, I went ahead and picked one up, too. lol.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That thing looks really interesting for the price but I wonder if it will fit inside a go light housing?  What other tilt pan remote control systems are available for something like this?

The digital output looks really clear in that video.

Thanks.
View Quote

I'm looking for a similar Pan Tilt housing to cannibalize.  There are a lot of cheap IP wifi pan/tilt cams out there that might me possible to remove the included camera and install this thermal into with some amount of modification
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
well, I went ahead and picked one up, too. lol.
View Quote

Excellent!  Looks like quite a few of us now have taken advantage of this deal!
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is a spec sheet that I was able to search out of the core itself that is inside the E6000.  

Thermal Core Spec Sheet
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#24]

When you guys get these in, can we get some dimensions or possible housing options? Curious to see what everyone else is doing with these.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://www.sierraolympic.com/images/uploads/products/Sale_Cam_Image3.png

When you guys get these in, can we get some dimensions or possible housing options? Curious to see what everyone else is doing with these.
View Quote

From that first spec sheet it appears like it's going to be approximately 89mm in diameter and 132mm in length.  Once I get mine I will make a drawing with more detailed dimensions for the mounting holes and such.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I found an article that says that the DRS Watchmaster Pro Pan/Tilt system was based off the E6000 sensor.  It used a narrower FOV lens however. 6.9 degrees instead of 15 degrees. Here is a video of some footage from that system.

DRS Watchmaster Pro Footage
DRS Watchmaster Pro Datasheet

It would be cool to make a similar pan tilt camera setup adding a normal optical zoom CCD camera.

I also think this was the same core utilized in the DRS variant PAS-13D v2 and v3 medium and heavy military thermal scopes.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:06:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I've had the E6000 for 6 years. Its not a tiny unit like Tau or Tamarisk. The E6000 was used in the ScanEasgle UAV flown in Iraq for the Marines a decade ago. It has a correction shutter every few minutes, especially active after it is first warming up, or is moved from indoors to outdoors. Last summer I made some comparison videos of NTSC output from the E6000 and a FLIR BTS-XR PRO, same resolution but using a TAU core I believe. The difference is quite dramatic, the DRS is much sharper and has less artifacts. I wish it was lighter. I sold my BTS a month ago and kept the E6000 although I have to use it with a tablet or laptop for viewing. The lens focus ring is stiff to turn but works fine. The reason the 62mm lens is fat is that it has a 25micron imager, which requires a larger lens. With the newer 17 and now 12 u imagers from FLIR and BAE, lens has gotten lighter.

Sierra Olympic sent it with a simple Windows XP GUI program to change settings, invert video, adjust contract, etc. Mine came with a factory calibration check sheet, full QA, dated 2009. The E6000 has a 12 bit LVDS cameralink digital video output as well, but I only use the RS-170 format.

Some info I got from Sierra Olympic in 2012:
The uncooled VOx imager will output a swing of 300-600 counts, while the 12 bit digital is 4096. RS170 video has about 256 counts of dynamic range. This is kind of a waste as there isn't much enhancement with the LVDS output. The sensor will image about +/- 50 deg around the temperature of the lens. On power up the E6000 uses histogram for gain bias and level bias. The E6000 has a very good sensitivity, low NETD. It is not specified on the datasheet but clearly seems better than the newer FLIR.  If I can figure out how, I can post a link to some videos and stills from this sensor.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks so much for posting!! I would love to see the comparison videos that you have of the DRS vs the FLIR!  Are this videos on YouTube? Or do you have a Dropbox account? Have you been able to get the GUI software to function with Windows 8 or Windows 10?  Also curious if you make changes to the camera settings within the GUI if they save after a power cycle so you don't necessarily need to always fiddle with the settings?  Do you remember what you paid for it back when you bought it? Thanks for your input!

Just got the shipping confirmation for my units from Sierra Olympic. I should have them by Wednesday.  I was told that they include a USB thumb drive with the GUI and documentation.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 2:21:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I haven't tried the GUI with anything but XP. Sorry. I may try it with a Tablet using Win 8 sometime, but it will be weeks.

The E6000 won't remember anything, not that smart. You have to set things with the GUI then use it. There is not a lot to set however. These are the hardware settings of that imager. Most but not all are controlled also in GUI.
manual gain 0-4095
AGC mode standard, off, linear, manual gain
Manual level 0-4096
Gain bias 0-4095
Level bias 0-4095
Calibration 1 pt, 2 pt, no shutter,  
black=hot or white=hot

You can control all of these with simple RS232 commands, if you know what stuff.
I paid a lot more for mine 6 years ago, around $6500.

I've been busy right now, haven't gotten to post the videos. They will be on Vimeo when I get a chance to upload.

The technical paper describing that sensor development was in Proceedings of SPIE, Vol 4721, 2002. At the time it was Boeing in Anaheim. DRS bought that business and moved it to Dallas. The 25 micron imagers were made in Dallas, but their newer 17 microns are made by Cypress Semiconductor for DRS. I think DRS made a lot of the E6000/U6000 sensors for military. Now they are obsolete. BTW, at the time they were predicting at least a 10 year lifetime of the sensor before the response time slows, The Read Out IC is packed in a vacuum sealed hybrid on thermal cameras. They may eventually leak.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Mine is shipping and will be here Friday. I will report back on Windows 10 compatibility. If not, I still have couple of dated Windows XP machines, or possibly virtualized.

I am still working out mounting ideas.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm wondering if the cables come already terminated ready to plug into a PC with the serial connector already attached?  I'm also curious if we will need to buy a power supply and how it is connected?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#33]
http://www.sierraolympic.com/products/outlet/e6000-62mm-usa-only

Description:
DRS E6000 Camera, 640 x 480, 25.4um pixel pitch, 30Hz, 62mm F1.2 optic, 15 degree HFOV, RS-170 video out, 12VDC, Incl. Main Cable, RS232 Cable, Manual, User GUI. Very water resistant. 90-day warranty. USA sales only.

I am hoping it has all the cables it needs to wire it to something. I'll post photos when mine arrives on Friday unless someone else gets one sooner.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
http://www.sierraolympic.com/products/outlet/e6000-62mm-usa-only

Description:
DRS E6000 Camera, 640 x 480, 25.4um pixel pitch, 30Hz, 62mm F1.2 optic, 15 degree HFOV, RS-170 video out, 12VDC, Incl. Main Cable, RS232 Cable, Manual, User GUI. Very water resistant. 90-day warranty. USA sales only.

I am hoping it has all the cables it needs to wire it to something. I'll post photos when mine arrives on Friday unless someone else gets one sooner.
View Quote

Mine is scheduled to be here tomorrow on Wednesday!  I'll try and post up some photos of everything right away!
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Did anybody get their E6000 yet?  FedEx screwed up today for mine and put them on the wrong delivery truck so I likely won't get them until tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Got mine Tuesday but just opened the box

Heavy unit sealed

All connectors have wire with plugs ready to attach

Ready to hook up to computer rs232 short 4 ft cable with
Video out rca jack with red and black banana jacks to hook up to
Bench power supply and small data connector to hook up serial port connector to laptop

Software on usb thumb drive

I have not powered it up yet, will post some pics when I get home tonight

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#38]
So to use this camera, it requires constant tethering to a laptop? It can't be used with just an external monitor (aka a cheap 12v LCD monitor), even after programming and setup has been completed via a tethered laptop? Or am I completely missing something? My experience with home few setups is limited to wiring a few Cadillac cameras to batteries/ hardwiring to vehicle and said cheap12v LCD screens. They just have a basic + and - video out that is easily adapted to an RCA type plug.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So to use this camera, it requires constant tethering to a laptop? It can't be used with just an external monitor (aka a cheap 12v LCD monitor), even after programming and setup has been completed via a tethered laptop? Or am I completely missing something? My experience with home few setups is limited to wiring a few Cadillac cameras to batteries/ hardwiring to vehicle and said cheap12v LCD screens. They just have a basic + and - video out that is easily adapted to an RCA type plug.
View Quote

Yes, it needs a way to set the defaults, a simple mcu atmega arduino stamp etc etc with code to send the info will provide this as well as a standalone box to adjust it.
The unit was designed to be monitored and connected to a computer to control these items, unit was designed to meet the specs requested for the end user, so no need to
startup without any supervision, external software will tell it what to do.

I plan on setting up a control box with a few buttons on it with presets, as well as individual adjustments like gain, contrast, detail, etc etc
Kinda like a digital version of an old tv sets picture adjustment knobs, except where the potentiometer stays where you left it set at a digital memory saved the last setting you made.  So if you need gain=45,  detail=87,  contrast=66 etc.. etc...  that info will be sent to the unit when you press the preset button you have the info saved to or
when you turn the knob to increase gain the unit will be sent the digital data to increase gain.

Another option is a bluetooth reciever connected to the rs232 port on the unit and an app on a junker phone or tablet , many ways to skin that cat.

https://www.get-console.com/developer/

http://remotexy.com/

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#40]
That remotexy customizable GUI for the Arduino looks pretty slick!  That may be the route that I want to go.  I wonder if creating a similar GUI with that "get-console" will be just as easy?

Have you taken a look at the included GUI to see how it looks?  I'm wondering if it has easy to use sliders for gain, contrast, etc or if you have to keep manually entering gain values until get the image you want?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Curious to see what you end up building. I would really love to build a controller for this with some type of arduino setup that also houses the controller for the pan/tilt controller.

My end goal is to have this thing viewable on some type of tablet, mobile device, or something that is NOT the size of a laptop.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like Blynk will be a good alternative to remotexy for those of us with Apple iOS devices.  It offers a similar drag and drop style to make GUIs that can communicate to Arduino and thus control the E6000 functions.   I was trying to find a good/cheap pan tilt camera system that looks it could be modified to remove the normal camera and fit the E6000 instead
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Got my units! As promised here is the User Manual and some photos:

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#44]
The GUI is just a simple executable file and it ran without issue on my work computer which is a Windows 7 64bit system so I do not foresee any issues running it on a windows 8 or windows 10 machine. I didn't have it connected to the camera or anything yet but it seemed to boot up just fine!  Another interesting thing to note is it looks like digital zoom (Narrow FOV, Wide FOV) is built into the GUI and therefore we chouldnt have to do any post processing on the video image

Overall feels like a very nice solid camera very similar build to the PAS-13D weapon scope.  Feels like the housing is either magnesium or aluminum.

Even the v shaped mount on this is similar to photos i can find of the PAS scopes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Shutter?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Shutter?
View Quote

Yes! Has an array of different shutter modes.  Manual, automatic, disable, 1 point cal, 2-point cal, etc.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Hey Hard_ware,  have you had a chance to power yours up yet? Curious to hear your thoughts on the image as well as the GUI functionality.  I won't be able to try mine out till around Monday.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't know if that will work then.  I think it measures 94mm in diameter to the ends of the focus ring tabs.  However if you let it hang out of the housing a bit then i think the main body diameter may be under 3.23". I made a accurate detailed 3D model this afternoon I can upload early next week in step file format If anybody is interested.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top