Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2016 5:57:31 AM EDT
Hello !

Since my primary IR illuminator is WAY too bright for close range applications I'm looking for a IR LED that could be used at close/middle-close ranges. Needs to be compact and helmet mountable.
Two compact models stand out for now:
Streamlight sidewinder compact II
Princeton tec charge

I like the fact that the Princeton tec can be oriented thanks to its flexible neck but wonder if it's worth it since it could get caught by something and snap out of place/break.
As far as performance/beam quality, well that's a mystery. Can't find much info on them, let alone a comparison.

Any other models could be interesting ?

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I like my inforce WML i have mounted, i wanted to get a surefire m1 but i like being able to flip back and forth between white and ir. Picked two up locally at true value for 119 a piece about a year ago.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the built in illuminator on my PVS14.  Try that first.

If that doesn't work out, check out the Princeton tec switch rail. No flexible neck to snag.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Princeton Tec is pretty tits, especially for needing IR for navigating and such.

Surefire M1 is pretty good for a mid power IR "flashlight" mounted on a lid.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#5]
OP: Are you looking for something to bridge the gap between the built-in illuminator and your long range illuminator?

I also have an Inforce WML white/IR. And while I hate it in white light mode, it works pretty dandy for that purpose in IR mode.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP: Are you looking for something to bridge the gap between the built-in illuminator and your long range illuminator?

I also have an Inforce WML white/IR. And while I hate it in white light mode, it works pretty dandy for that purpose in IR mode.

View Quote

Basically yeah.
Something that can be used indoor and close range since the built in IR is meh.
The inforce is not the format I'm looking for and surefire would be overkill for that.
I'm going to eliminate the Princeton tec from my possible choices for its very weak output, looks like the only one left is the streamlight compact ...
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
if you want to tinker, you can convert a bunch of cheap flashlights easily to ir, and they will do what you want to, pretty easily.

this is an old thread I did, but you can read up on how leds work on a lot of basic electronic web sites, then wire some stuff up yourself

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/420574_.html

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the built in illuminator on my PVS14.  Try that first.

If that doesn't work out, check out the Princeton tec switch rail. No flexible neck to snag.
View Quote

I find the internal IR illuminator works quite well at across the house distances.  But that's my situation.  

I've got one of these on my motorcycle helmet that's been there for 5 years now and just keeps on ticking.  It's a White/Red model that I use for night time map reading or tank bag digging.  It's gotten snagged a bunch of times on stuff but it hasn't broken.  And is exposed to 70 to 90 mph winds on a daily basis as well as rain and whatever else the road throws at me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top