Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 3:42:35 AM EDT
So, I'm going to pick up a NGI PVS 14 + and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these? From the website all I could gather was that they're gen 2+, Photonis tubes, and non gated. I already have a Gen 2HD from Armasight and was wondering how they might compare. I understand TNVC is quite meticulous with their tube selection for their gen 3, and I wonder if it's the same with their gen 2 + stuff?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:48:51 AM EDT
[#1]
This might not be helpful, but given the approximately same price point, I would bet NGI has better tubes for the price, as that is what Armasight has their marketing labels for. If they told the specs and gave spec sheets with the products it would be clearer, but NGI does and from that I would guess there is less of a chance to miss NGI. If the NGI tube is better, it won't be by a wide margin as better performing Gen2+ do cost a lot more.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Gotcha. Well I just went ahead and ordered anyway. Guess we shall see. I expect the NGI tube to have less blems hopefully.
This is the Armasight gen 2 HD.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:31:23 AM EDT
[#3]
To my eye that looks quite clean, four  not that bad blems that can be seen with this resolution. I cant see one that is completely black. Could be NGI tubes are in that sense (if those are the only ones) similar, or could be they are better as at least TNVC has a good reputation shipping clean tubes. Not much info yet on this forum on how they are, but guessing it will be either close to 20 or slightly above SNR or higher SNR with more blems, as something has to make these tubes affordable. Will be very interesting to hear your comparison between these two! Also what will be interesting to hear the actual specs the NGI tube has.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:33:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Once I receive it, I will do a comparison between the two. I expect from TNVC/NGI's reputation that it will be a great tube.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll be building it for you, and I will select the best tube we have for you.
View Quote

That is customer service !
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
And I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think anyone at Night Goggles know who I am.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll be building it for you, and I will select the best tube we have for you.

This is why TNVC has earned my business in the past.

one of the few companies today that are honest to goodness strait shooters and will take care of you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Very much appreciated!  So far with my interactions with NGI, I've seen quite the difference in customer service. Now to let the anxiousness set in as I "patiently" wait for the unit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Very much appreciated!  So far with my interactions with NGI, I've seen quite the difference in customer service. Now to let the anxiousness set in as I "patiently" wait for the unit.
View Quote

When I ordered mine a year or two ago it must have been the hot thing to buy at the time
There was a 3-4 week lead time, it was a killer

but I got a spectacular tube.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#14]
That must've been a long few weeks. They told me it would likely ship out Monday or Tuesday!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't doubt it in the slightest.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:39:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I just noticed that every time I reply to someone, it does not include the original message". I suppose that could make things a bit confusing when I make a reply, How do I include the original message that I am replying to?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:52:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just noticed that every time I reply to someone, it does not include the original message". I suppose that could make things a bit confusing when I make a reply, How do I include the original message that I am replying to?
View Quote

Press "Quote" instead of "Reply" and it will show the post you are replying to. Quoting multiple posts has to be done manually in case you want to include many posts in your reply, you'll see after you first try the "Quote" button and see how it looks in the text editor.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Press "Quote" instead of "Reply" and it will show the post you are replying to. Quoting multiple posts has to be done manually in case you want to include many posts in your reply, you'll see after you first try the "Quote" button and see how it looks in the text editor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, okay. I see now. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well worth the wait, trust me. I'll get it  out to you ASAP.
View Quote

I don't doubt it one bit. I'm quite excited!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I built it yesterday, and tested her out on our chart, with the illuminator on in our dark room the image quality is as good as many Gen 3 systems. I will have it shipped out today.
View Quote

Awesome! Thank you very much. I can't wait to get my hands on it!
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Finally got a little time with the NGI PVS 14. I must say, I am impressed. I'm no night vision connoisseur, but I have personal and some professional(Army) experience with NVD's. The conditions right now are heavy overcast with partial moon showing through thin spots in the clouds once in a while, and there is a decent amount of fog. I got all the three of my PVS 14's out to play, and for a bit of comparison. I do not have pictures yet, which will have to wait until tomorrow night. It certainly does better than my Armasight PVS 14 gen2 HD which apparently also has a Photonis tube. It's ability to gather light and resolve objects and details in darker conditions including shadows surpasses the Armasight gen2 quite significantly. It's creeps up on the gen3 much closer than the Armasight gen2. It has great resolution too. The first thing I noticed when I got it out of the package was the metal objective lens locking ring. Although this only a $15-20 part and to many it may not matter, it does to me. My other two have the standard polymer rings, so if I decide to weapon mount this, I wont run into a flexing locking ring which would impede objective lens movement. It did not come with a skull crusher which is just such a shame(sarcasm). It came with a Army/Mariine Corp TM, a ocular lens cover(the others also did not include this), some lens tissue, a micro fiber cloth, and a J arm. The housing appears to be of the same origin as the Armasights, as all three of them have identical tooling marks. This weekend I will get much deeper into it and get pictures up as well. I am very satisfied with it. More to come soon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Great to hear. Not much word from people yet on how NGI Photonis tubes are but I guess they are pretty decent for the price then. From your description I would guess your's has a SNR of more than the 16-18 they specify as typical, more like 20+ perhaps because considering Armasight's products they too need to have a gradient in their tube performance and having a SNR of say 15 in their top of the line Gen2 would be a little odd, I would have guessed the HD's to be closer to 20 too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top