Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 5:20:41 PM EDT
So I recently purchased an AKA2 mount for our departments PVS-21's. The problem I am having is that I have ran out of downward adjustment and inward adjustment. PVS-21's require a much closer eye relief (at least for me) than more common NVG's.

Does anyone have any slick ideas on how to get a little more inward adjustment out of this system? I can live with the height if need be.

Right now my only idea is to fashion an extension out of aluminum and affix it the the top of the horn mount on the optic...not ideal.

I know there are better mounts out there for the 21's but I am limited on $$$ sadly.

Here are some images, the mannequin head isn't exactly proportional but it gets the point across...

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try adjusting the helmet first and if need be install thicker pads on frontal crown of the helmet.  This is the #1 reason the 21's sit too low.  As for getting closer to your eye that is another issue altogether and why the Wilcox mount is specifically made for this system as they're angled differently for the 21's. Hope this helps.

Vic
View Quote

Thanks for the reply, I really wish I could have gone with the Wilcox mount it was just sadly out of my budget. I bought the aka2 mount used. Ill keep looking, perhaps someone wants to trade on the EE.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Interestingly I have seen plenty of Wilcox PVS-21 mounts for sale in this side of the pond (EU) for pennies compared to what it's new. Surely you will bump into one over there too in a short while.

Edit: also, interesting problem you have, not the cheapest bino you could have, and then limited on the mounting $$$
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Happily trade you my sentinels and that should solve your adjustment problems haha

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Interestingly I have seen plenty of Wilcox PVS-21 mounts for sale in this side of the pond (EU) for pennies compared to what it's new. Surely you will bump into one over there too in a short while.

Edit: also, interesting problem you have, not the cheapest bino you could have, and then limited on the mounting $$$
View Quote

Yeah I will post a WTT add here shortly, I really dont like the idea of rigging some jalopy work around.

Haha yeah that would make sense if these were our pvs-21's they are on loan from NSW under an LE agreement. So sadly its on me to get the supporting gear...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Happily trade you my sentinels and that should solve your adjustment problems haha

View Quote

If these were mine and your sentinels were white phosphor perhaps ;)   Sadly they are not mine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you thought about modifying an ANVIS ground mount adapter?  

You could drill a couple of new holes in it to direct-mount the AKA2 to the bottom of the adapter, which will get the mount lower and closer.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#8]
if you put a tapered shim between the norotos and its backplate then that will tilt the unit down and backward and not look too out of place
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have you thought about modifying an ANVIS ground mount adapter?  

You could drill a couple of new holes in it to direct-mount the AKA2 to the bottom of the adapter, which will get the mount lower and closer.  

~Augee
View Quote

Hey thats a good idea, I think its a better idea than putting the shim in the 21's. Thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I would like to see how these options turn out. I'm in the process of getting my hands on a set of 21s and have a aka2.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the opposite issue... I'm using the Wilcox PVS 21 mount with a PVS 14 and at the max height setting it just barely lines up with my eye.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have the opposite issue... I'm using the Wilcox PVS 21 mount with a PVS 14 and at the max height setting it just barely lines up with my eye.
View Quote

Looks like you two should work out a trade.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ill trade you, can throw some cash on top as well...  shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Freefall and Vic,

Would the Wilcox PVS21 interface shoe help?  I don't have either of them in front of me but it looks like replacing the regular dovetail with the wilcox adapter would put the optic lower and closer to the user's face.

https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-nvg-interface-shoe-for-anpvs-21/
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Freefall and Vic,

Would the Wilcox PVS21 interface shoe help?  I don't have either of them in front of me but it looks like replacing the regular dovetail with the wilcox adapter would put the optic lower and closer to the user's face.

https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-nvg-interface-shoe-for-anpvs-21/
View Quote

I thought about trying that at first but ended up finding someone that wanted to trade for an actual PVS-21 mount, the Wilcox one to be exact. Vic is right, the Wilcox 21 mount is the perfect answer for PVS 21's, they are just so damn odd compared to other NVG's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top