BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Credit to R.K

"I'm quite impressed by the ThOR 640. Just got back from the first hunt. While conditions were not optimal (about 75F and 90% humidity), the result was impressive."

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Video as promised.

I was not sure of the horizontal white line that ran across the ATN's display? Dead pixels or a F/W issue?

Video
View Quote

I "partially" know the answer to the white line. There is apparently a "NUC" selection somewhere on one of the menu's that does a recalibration of the sensor array with the firmware/software.

I just spent 10 minutes trying to find a discussion on it to post here but there are a LOT of posts on there and this isn't one of the ones they have pinned.

If you can't find it, join the FB group and do a post asking for help.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I "partially" know the answer to the white line. There is apparently a "NUC" selection somewhere on one of the menu's that does a recalibration of the sensor array with the firmware/software.

I just spent 10 minutes trying to find a discussion on it to post here but there are a LOT of posts on there and this isn't one of the ones they have pinned.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Video as promised.

I was not sure of the horizontal white line that ran across the ATN's display? Dead pixels or a F/W issue?

Video

Yes, I did perform a non-uniformity compensation (NUC).

It did not remove the white line.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Video as promised.

Video

In that case, contact ATN. Are you a member of the FB group?

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Video as promised.

Video

email me at [email protected]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Overall image quality is great, love the onboard recording, menus are quick and responsive, although the layout takes some getting used to and there needs to be a faster way to calibrate and switch polarity. The image in white hot looks really good, black hot looks washed out. It would definitely benefit from an independent contrast/gain adjustment. Seems like the automatic gain control could use a little refinement - the screen flickers a lot when panning across various foreground and background objects.

View Quote

100% spot on!

There needs to be some quick shortcut buttons for NUC, contrast adjustment, and polarity (like they have for video and photos).
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I found a thread asking this question but it was archived before the ath thor release, so i'll bring it up here....

How do the atn thor 384's compare to the Pulsar Apex XD38A? I've watched videos on both but have not found a direct comparison between the two.

The ATN is a little cheaper and has a LOT more features and is smaller, plus on board recording.

The pulsar supposedly has a really good picture and is tried & true (ie. no bugs) but is big, ugly, and needs an external DVR.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The onboard recording is the only extra feature that you will use often.  That and maybe the ability to stream to your mobile device to let other people see what your scope sees.

The rest of it is kinda fluff.  

That being said, onboard recording is a flipping godsend because if you don't have video, it didn't really happen.  :D
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The onboard recording is the only extra feature that you will use often.  That and maybe the ability to stream to your mobile device to let other people see what your scope sees.

The rest of it is kinda fluff.  

That being said, onboard recording is a flipping godsend because if you don't have video, it didn't really happen.  :D
View Quote

Well i found a dealer that sells the pulsar and includes a DVR and all the cables to hook it up, in one package. I like the recoil activated video feature, but then again its easy to crop the vids too.

Whats a bigger deal to me, is quality of the optic, more so than the features. With me having no experience with them, i have no idea if the different color modes are a big deal or any of the other options. Im quite the newbie..

Additinally, the atn comes with an ARMS QD mount, does the pulsar footprint fit on any ARMS or other quality QD mounts that are re-zeroable??
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Awesome mount, if  I pick up a Apex down the road I will be changing the mount for sure with this setup. Have you though about making a mount for the Armasight Zeus line?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got apex with the UNV adapter paired with a LT100 acog mount and its great.  I swap it between several rifles and it has I think 3 zeros that you can save.  Pretty good.  Lots of fun shooting rabbits on a suppressed 22.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Whats a bigger deal to me, is quality of the optic, more so than the features. With me having no experience with them, i have no idea if the different color modes are a big deal or any of the other options. Im quite the newbie..

View Quote

Color modes are not that big of a deal.  I don't know what's behind the decision not to have them on first release of the ThOR HD, but they aren't there right now.  I almost never used them with my older ThOR.

As far as quality: beware.   I do some informal testing for them, I maybe got drunk with them once or twice, but I'm not some paid spokesman.  I'm pretty sure the new ThORs are going to have teething problems. This is a new product for ATN and they are making a pretty big leap by going out and making their own core instead of buying FLIR/BAE.   We've seen a taste of it already.  There are lots of happy folks, and there are also a few bum units out there that so far ATN is quick to make good on.  The firmware needs some polish so if you hate the idea of being an early adopter, this might not be the scope for you.

I never played with the pulsar thermals so I can't make a good comparison otherwise.  Just listen to what UNV guys say, they sell both product lines and I have never been drunk with them.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top