Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 4:54:44 PM EDT
Ok, i know this thread has been done before, but Ive read through reviews and old posts and am still really struggling between the ATPIAL-C  and DBAL A3.

ATPIAL-C
Pros
Low profile
Lighter Weight

Cons
$100 more expensive
Red Laser

DBAL A3
Pros
High/Low Setting for IR Illuminator and IR Laser
Adjustable Illuminator width
Green Visible Laser
QD lever

Cons
1 oz heavier
Higher Profile (blocks part of the my view through my T2)

Just for reference the rest of the light/laser setup...
Surefire SR-D-IT Dual Tape Switch
Surefire M300 Mini
UE-BK Tail Cap
Arisaka Offset Scout Light Mount
All on a 9" BCM KMR Rail w/ 10.5" Barrel

If you can think of anyhing im missing or if those who own both could say which they prefer I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both (Well, the I2 which doesn't have the green vis laser) and my ATPIAL rides on a BCM 9" KMR.

I would go DBAL A3 any day of the week. The only real con is that it won't interface very well with the Surefire SR D switch, but by 2025 TNVC should have the TAPS switch out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have both (Well, the I2 which doesn't have the green vis laser) and my ATPIAL rides on a BCM 9" KMR.

I would go DBAL A3 any day of the week. The only real con is that it won't interface very well with the Surefire SR D switch, but by 2025 TNVC should have the TAPS switch out.
View Quote

Why? I thought that switch worked with both the ATPIAL-C and DBAL A3 as they use the same plug.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
DBAL-A4
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why? I thought that switch worked with both the ATPIAL-C and DBAL A3 as they use the same plug.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have a bad habit of popping out of the DBAL under recoil.

What I did is put a small peice of velcro on the back of the tape switch plug, one on the top of the dbal, bottom of the dbal, and run a strip across all three.  Held it in place wonderfully.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I love the ATPIAL-C and as bad as I want to pick it, I have to go with the A3 for the adjustable illuminator. That, for me, is the only reason I'd pick the A3 over the ATPIAL-C.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How does the A3 illuminator on the widest width compare to the fix width of the ATPIAL-C?

Which one is brighter?

Quoted:
DBAL-A4

At the rate LED white light technology progresses Its nice to be able to replace a $200 surefire instead of buying a new $1,600 laser/light combo unit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I will use them side by side and try to take pics this weekend.

Going off memory, they are about equal with the A3 on its widest width.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I am having the same issue so I subbed. I'm also considering 2 of the i2 singles for both of my rifles.

interesting thread.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Trying to do it tonight.

What distances do you guys want to see so I can best of service to ARFCOM

I can do a wooden fence at 15 yards, inside a house at 5 yards, and outdoors as far as 238,900 miles to the moon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Trying to do it tonight.

What distances do you guys want to see so I can best of service to ARFCOM

I can do a wooden fence at 15 yards, inside a house at 5 yards, and outdoors as far as 238,900 miles to the moon.
View Quote

I am interested in this moon shot

Honestly I would like to see the 15yds. I wanna get one for hunting and night steel shooting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#12]
whats good laser for shooting 200 yards or so at night ?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#13]
DBAL I2 on left. ATPIAL-C on right.

After seeing this, I really have to give the DBAL I2 (or A3 if you want to compare apples/apples) the edge hands down. I just do not see where the ATPIAL-C has any edge over the DBAL A3 except for weight and profile in mounted at 12:00 in front of a RDS. The illuminated area of the DBAL was noticably brighter, bigger, and cleaner than the ATPIAL-C.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:55:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Be nice to see a range of specs to look for.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
DBAL I2 on left. ATPIAL-C on right.

After seeing this, I really have to give the DBAL I2 (or A3 if you want to compare apples/apples) the edge hands down. I just do not see where the ATPIAL-C has any edge over the DBAL A3 except for weight and profile in mounted at 12:00 in front of a RDS. The illuminated area of the DBAL was noticably brighter, bigger, and cleaner than the ATPIAL-C.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_4911_zpsextjaktv.jpg

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/DSC02168_zpsbknavevb.jpg
View Quote

Great picture, I really appreciate the comparison.

I started off really wanting the ATPIAL-C but the more I look into it I'm starting To like the DBAL A3.

Can anyone confirm if a aimpoint T1 micro with 1/3 co witness (or 7mm riser) will clear the top of the DBAL A3 and leave a open field of view in the optics?

Also are there any aftermarket QD mounts that might be lower profile than the one provided with the DBAL A3?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top