Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2015 11:42:43 AM EDT
Was with a buddy yesterday zeroing his perfectly legal, legitimately purchased ATPIAL-C. Normally, because many gun owners are Fudds, stupid, ignorant, and generally quick to make a fool of themselves I don't pay much attention when someone walks over and starts clamoring about "That there thing..." But this guy was dressed well. He looked like he had showered recently (probably that very morning!) and actually spoke coherently so I paid attention when he spoke.

He politely informed us that he was a "Law enforcement officer" and the PEQ15 we were using was "presumed stolen" under FDA guidelines and that we would have to surrender it.

My response, verbatim, was the following:

"That sounds like a good way to get suckers to hand over their stolen high power units, but this is a legally purchased civilian model." Because, you know, we were being truthful and thought it was just a mistake on his part.

After my buddy stared at him with an awkward "Alright, so, what the fuck do you want to do about it?" glance, we pulled up TNVC's website on our phones thinking he was mistaken and would apologize for the inconvenience. He refused to accept the unit was legit and made us extremely uncomfortable the rest of the afternoon trying to get the serial number off of it.

Anyone ran into anything of this sort before? Holy shit... Never showed us LEO creds but someone at the range said he was FDLE. In hindsight, I wish I started recording him so I could publicly shame him for being a douchebag. Doing your job is one thing, but living life assuming everyone is a criminal makes for a piss poor LEO.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Was with a buddy yesterday zeroing his perfectly legal, legitimately purchased ATPIAL-C. Normally, because many gun owners are Fudds, stupid, ignorant, and generally quick to make a fool of themselves I don't pay much attention when someone walks over and starts clamoring about "That there thing..." But this guy was dressed well. He looked like he had showered recently (probably that very morning!) and actually spoke coherently so I paid attention when he spoke.

He politely informed us that he was a "Law enforcement officer" and the PEQ15 we were using was "presumed stolen" under FDA guidelines and that we would have to surrender it.

"That sounds like a good way to get suckers to hand over their stolen high power units, but this is a legally purchased civilian model." Because, you know, we were being truthful and thought it was just a mistake on his part.

After my buddy stared at him with an awkward "Alright, so, what the fuck do you want to do about it?" glance, we pulled up TNVC's website on our phones thinking he was mistaken and would apologize for the inconvenience. He refused to accept the unit was legit and made us extremely uncomfortable the rest of the afternoon trying to get the serial number off of it.

Anyone ran into anything of this sort before? Holy shit... Never showed us LEO creds but someone at the range said he was FDLE. In hindsight, I wish I started recording him so I could publicly shame him for being a douchebag. Doing your job is one thing, but living life assuming everyone is a criminal makes for a piss poor LEO.
View Quote

Tell him to call the cops if he wants.  Otherwise stfu.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow that takes "range nazi" to a whole new level.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had a similar experience but with other NFA equipment.  Some A hole claiming he is LE and wants to see my "papers".  I just laughed in the guys face and told him to GTFO. What is even more funny is I was LE when this happened and have never seen the guy before in my l life and we were pretty small there.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Just keep this image on your phone
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Correct response, are you on duty?  Let me see your credentials.  IF not I am calling the local cops for you impersonating a law enforcement officer.  As far as getting the numbers off my scope, get some one with credentials and a warrant.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Correct response, are you on duty?  Let me see your credentials.  IF not I am calling the local cops for you impersonating a law enforcement officer.  As far as getting the numbers off my scope, get some one with credentials and a warrant.
View Quote

This is good advice, and I should have heeded it. Guy was just a weirdo the way he kept meandering over trying to look at it.

Honestly, the whole debacle has made me question whether or not I want an ATPIAL-C anymore. On the other hand, there are high power models of the DBALs as well so what's to stop anyone from bothering you regardless of what you have? This is what owners of machine guns must feel like at public ranges.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

and took a pic of him with your phones.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
What a moron.

Paddy had the proper response.
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is good advice, and I should have heeded it. Guy was just a weirdo the way he kept meandering over trying to look at it.

Honestly, the whole debacle has made me question whether or not I want an ATPIAL-C anymore. On the other hand, there are high power models of the DBALs as well so what's to stop anyone from bothering you regardless of what you have? This is what owners of machine guns must feel like at public ranges.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, get a DBAL D2. It's a HUGE bitch, but I don't think there is a .mil version.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#11]
lol
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#12]
That's my ATPIAL-C, I don't know you.

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#13]
privately owned range? if so, i would have raised the issue with someone who worked at the range and told them that some guy was impersonating an officer and trying to steal my stuff through harassment. problem would quickly resolve itself.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Get his badge number and file a complain with internal affair.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:55:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Someone wanted a free laser beam.

At least he didn't arrest you. Be thankful.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#16]
If at a private range, could you report him to the range safety officer, or the owner(s).

If he's getting creepy close/hovering he's creating a danger because he's out of position, making you/other shooters nervous, distracting you, etc.

Get his ass banned from the range, if you can.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Demand credentials.  

Take name and card.   If he doesn't then fuck off,  then tell him to fuck off and call supervisor and complain.  Fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Doesn't sound like the guy was really an officer. You may want to tell the range what happened so others don't get scammed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I would LOVE someone to pull that shit with me at my range. Please. They would be booted so fast there would be a sonic crack from their ass - which you should have been all up in with your "LEO".

If you want it, buy it. Why let some random idiot intimidate you from a legal product? Are you that easily intimidated? Eff that, get one and use it proudly.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Curious if the range was in Manatee county since you're listed as being in FL.  About six months ago a guy was awfully interested in my class 1 IR laser to the point that I didn't really care to leave my weapon to go down range and change targets.  WTF is wrong with people?  I've never had anyone question my silencers before though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#21]
No, this was at Shooter's World in Tampa.

Quoted:
If you want it, buy it. Why let some random idiot intimidate you from a legal product? Are you that easily intimidated? Eff that, get one and use it proudly.
View Quote

Yes I was very afraid.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I didn't mean it that way. Only that you said you might not get one because of hassles. I have not had any, and I like mine. What an ignorant jerk, though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Point taken. I guess what I should have asked is if you run into a (real) idiot agent and he's being a dick about it - what can you really do to prove it isn't a stolen .mil version on the spot?

I know I'm new to this forum, but I've been on others and have seen the "I just got a phone call from Agent xxxx regarding a PEQ15 I just bought..." threads. Which I've never understood because they never seem to have a warrant or anything?
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Point taken. I guess what I should have asked is if you run into a (real) idiot agent and he's being a dick about it - what can you really do to prove it isn't a stolen .mil version on the spot?

I know I'm new to this forum, but I've been on others and have seen the "I just got a phone call from Agent xxxx regarding a PEQ15 I just bought..." threads. Which I've never understood because they never seem to have a warrant or anything?
View Quote

Show them the model number on it showing it's a civilian version.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Think of all the more important things they could be doing with their lives.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

print a copy of your TNVC invoice and throw in in a range bag
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Let them confiscate it. Sue, get paid then buy more gear.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell him it is an Airsoft fake. The IR light does not even work. Let him look into it to see for himself.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have a receipt?  Willing to go full retard?  Call the cops on him for harassment right then and there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Tell him to show you credentials, then call the real police.

In this state, impersonating law enforcement is a class 4 felony, and we/SA's take it VERY seriously.  

Don't let some dingbat ruin your fun, and enjoy your atpial.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Tell him it is an Airsoft fake. The IR light does not even work. Let him look into it to see for himself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a full powered unit and never ran into that at any ranges I've been to. Most people don't even know what it is. I doubt anyone would ever even ask about it.

Here's an idea for next time. Tell him to fuck off.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#33]
OP,
Practice this until you have the line down just right:

I've never understood the logic behind people insisting on initiating a confrontation at a gun range.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:05:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes I was very afraid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I was very afraid.

Why?
Tell him to fuck off, demand credentials, call a real cop, complain about a stalker to range staff.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why?
Tell him to fuck off, demand credentials, call a real cop, complain about a stalker to range staff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I was very afraid.

Why?

It's just so scary!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

awesome
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#37]
The more I think about it, the angrier I get.

Next time, call the police on that shithead.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I would first smile, then chuckle and keep on blasting...
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would first smile, then chuckle and keep on blasting...
View Quote

Agreed, but then you walk down range to move or look at your target and you have to worry that there is some chucklefuck diddling your firearm/LAM.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I would've told him to SMD personally, knowing it's an ATPIAL-C.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#42]
My cousin traded an AR-15 and $500 cash for one about a year ago.

When he posted it for sale on E-bay he was contacted by CID and Article 15ed by the Army for possession of stolen property.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My cousin traded an AR-15 and $500 cash for one about a year ago.

When he posted it for sale on E-bay he was contacted by CID and Article 15ed by the Army for possession of stolen property.
View Quote

Then it wasn't an ATPIAL-C right? It had to have been a PEQ-15 or an LA-5 if it was proven stolen gov property....
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah it was stolen Gov't property. He thought it was a civilian model, but the serial number traced back to an Army unit in Germany.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yeah it was stolen Gov't property. He thought it was a civilian model, but the serial number traced back to an Army unit in Germany.
View Quote

That fucking sucks bro. This is the reason everybody should avoid buying/selling LAM's from fleabay. Obviously an ATPIAL-C is the safest route.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Next time Tell him to show you his leo creds or you will call the police.

If he has some, then just tell him to fuck off.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#47]
I would have told him to go fuck himself, not to try coming within ten feet of it, and to go fuck himself.

If you don't offer your ID first, it will be presumed you're lying about being any kind of LE.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Threads like this are why I avoid ranges and gun stores. You won't find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#49]
So he wouldn't provide credentials? Did he have a weapon? If not, give him this kind of look. " />
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Not on duty and won't prove it? Punch him in the nose for harassing you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top