User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2015 3:09:00 PM EDT

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat. Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
What sort of useful range are you getting out of that?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, there is very little first hand info on the COTI. Would you be willing to share your observations on useful distance that the COTI provides for detection?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, there is very little first hand info on the COTI. Would you be willing to share your observations on useful distance that the COTI provides for detection?
View Quote

Yes please! The COTI is extremely interesting but only have a couple of YouTube videos to watch to get a sense.

PS great pics
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes any info is appreciated. Im interested in one as well, but at nearly $7k i want to make sure im getting what i pay for.

To be honest the pictures ive seen arent that impressive, but there is often a disconnect between what you actually see looking through a unit and what a camera can capture.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The COTI  is a unique device. I like that it fuses the two technologies together but I am certain that I would not want it to be the only thermal device that a I had.
At a price of 7k I would prefer an IR Patrol. I consider that a better and more versatile device.

As far as range I think I get about 150 yards out of it, it's had to explain but one gets a lot of "false positives" out of it.
Everything being the same color it's hard to differentiate thermal vs I2 while viewing if the brightness is not turned up but it's easy to have the thermal Image too bright. I prefer the different colors that you find on the PSQ-20 and 36.

If there are any othe specific questions feel free to ask. I'll get some better WP/COTI pics soon.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had one for a little while and was quite impressed at the detection range.

I generally use it on Patrol mode and play with the gain to get optimal function out of it.

Depending on terrain, I get detection out to 300y on a deer / pig. Possibly even further, but I haven't ranged it.

I love the unit, its a super impressive piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#9]
What environment(s) are you guys running the COTI in? Anybody running one in the Rockies?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a COTI as well. I called Mr Player to get some help with mine. I came to find out the unit I had was defective.  Optics 1 replaced it and was very helpful and quick getting me a new unit.  I am happy with the unit after about 10 nights of hunting with it. I am in the same boat as Mr Player in that it is not a sole thermal unit.  It is an add on that is very helpful but for use as a primary detection unit it is not well suited. As others have said Patrol mode works best for me and if conditions are favorable 300 yards is realistic detection on hogs/deer sized animals. The unit is 30HZ but seems much slower. With fast movement there is a noticeable lag or double image where the thermal image does not align with the i2 image. This is not an issue once you get used to it but it's quite distracting at first.

I still use a thermal monocular as a main detection device then go to i2/COTI for moving in. I can say that stalking hogs with fusion is a huge step up from std NV. Getting by busted by a pig or deer or other animal you never saw is a thing of the past. When using IR laser on groups of pigs once they run, after the first shot, target acquisition is worlds faster with the COTI. IMO for the way we hunt it was worth every dollar. On the other hand if you were not using it mainly as a hunting tool I don't know how useful it would really be, except for the cool factor.

If you dont have thermal a FLIR or IR Patrol would be a far wiser purchase. If you just want helmet mounted i2 and thermal this might be worth checking into.  At the 7K price range it's the only choice. Running NV in one eye and thermal like the Patrol in the other is something you probably need to experience before spending the dough if you're kicking around that idea. From experience I can say your brain likely will not accept it. If you want to short circuit yourself or cause a seizure try to run both technologies once.....with friends around to carry your body off.....and that's not completely a joke.

I have some images of hogs and deer I will put up when I get a chance.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Here are a few pictures of hogs through the COTI

Below is a side by side (sort of, different angle)  of the pics above and what is seen with light.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#14]
oops triple tap....
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:44:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Was invited over from another area...

I've been playing with a different way of getting thermal up into view without going the COTI route.  Had a COTI and didn't get much use out if it.  Was finding myself hand scanning or running the thermal dedicated as a rifle scope an IR laser with dual tube NV.

Ended up with a ocular and bridged it with a nvm14 that gives me a thermal HUD display on my non dominant eye. The NVM is on my dominant.  Had to get acquainted with running a single tube again, and the thermal image from the weapon sight fades out to the NV image..then if I need thermal..just close my dominant eye..and my other eye pics up the thermal image of what the weapon mounted thermal is seeing.  

Crappy phone pics to follow..

Here is a pic of the set up.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:48:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Through the thermal:

Through the head mounted display:

Through the NV:

Crappy pics done inside..if anybody is interested will probably be out and about this weekend if the rain slows down and will get some better pics.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#17]
My usual night set up.. a set of L3 PVS15's, or a PVS14, using the thermal clip on as dedicated scope, and using IR lasers/Illuminators for shooting on the move, etc.

I love dual tubes, but using the NV on the non dominant eye, I could still shoulder the rifle and use my dominant eye through the 1.5X ACOG with the thermal or swap off the 1.5X and run the thermal stand alone.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've been playing with a different way of getting thermal up into view without going the COTI route.  Had a COTI and didn't get much use out if it.  Was finding myself hand scanning or running the thermal dedicated as a rifle scope an IR laser with dual tube NV.

Ended up with a ocular and bridged it with a nvm14 that gives me a thermal HUD display on my non dominant eye. The NVM is on my dominant.  Had to get acquainted with running a single tube again, and the thermal image from the weapon sight fades out to the NV image..then if I need thermal..just close my dominant eye..and my other eye pics up the thermal image of what the weapon mounted thermal is seeing.  

View Quote

Really cool setup and even cooler that it works for you!

Wonder if having a WP tube plus a b/w thermal on the other eye would be easier, could the brain even start to accept the images? (having a thermal monocular on the other eye I mean, not a display from weapon scope)
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t448/Funtogun/Mobile%20Uploads/20151121_220042_zps6x8dche6.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t448/Funtogun/Mobile%20Uploads/20151120_224640_zpsgudjnmnh.jpg
View Quote

Interesting!
What ocular device are you using?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Here is a pic of the set up...

(snip)
View Quote

Epic dude. I second the question below - what ocular?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Epic dude. I second the question below - what ocular?
View Quote

It is a GSCI-HMD.

If anybody wants more info feel free to email me.  I have a couple of these HMDs..and I am impressed with their ease of use.  

As a different type of heads up...I'm going to be selling off a chunk of NV/IR to help fund another thermal purchase.   Among the stuff Im selling, I will have one of these posted up on the EE.

Thanks,

Funtogun
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#22]
cool
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:46:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice vid..thanks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Wonder if having a WP tube plus a b/w thermal on the other eye would be easier, could the brain even start to accept the images? (having a thermal monocular on the other eye I mean, not a display from weapon scope)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Having tried this myself as well as my hunting partners I will say the answer is no.  Thermal in one eye and NV in the other does not work at least with the brains in my hunting circle. It's overwhelming to the point that whatever unit is in front of you dominant eye turns into useless tech.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I have to agree..NV on one eye and collimated thermal does not work for me either.  That is why I went with the weapon mounted thermal and HUD. This way I can use the NV to navigate and get a clear view of the weapon mounted thermal with the reticle turned on by using the HMD.  I can prop the rifle up..kick back and view the thermal without having to take off the NV or hold the rifle at head level.  I also run an IR laser to aim with while on the move using the NV.  The only real adjustment I had to make was going back to single tube NV from years of running around with dual tubes.

Anyway..if anybody is interested, I posted up one of the HMD units and some other quality NV stuff in the Night Vision section of the EE.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top